Big Bash 2016 Now Available on iOS and Android

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I loved that game. The career mode was very engaging.

It is, but short.

Cricket's really hard to do on mobile because my golden rule of mobile games is that you should be able to play for 2mins and do something meaningful, enough that you can put it back down and feel like you made progress. Hard to do with Cricket because it's naturally so long - the mechanics need to be thought out in a slightly different way to make it work on mobile.
Most developer's problem is that they fail to think through properly how a mobile player actually plays the game: often they are just basically console/PC games that work on mobile, rather than thought out as mobile games.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yay! I'm now able to hit those monstrous sixes. Just wasn't swiping it the right way.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
the BBL game feels the most fun to play, but is the worst game overall from a business perspective (and that's where I always come at it from) because of its shallowness.

Yeah, I mean - I haven't put it down (personally) I love it. Going to the Chiro? Fit in a 2 over game. Waiting for the car wash to finish? 5 Overs. It's the shallowness that allows that, a full-on simulation might not be as generously pick-up-and-play for most? Certainly couldn't give it away free!

Splitting your app splits your audience - you want them all in the same place

I think in an ideal world, that's the best option, however the app would get increasingly unwieldy adding in all the different formats. Splitting them across multiple-apps gives you revenue streams - the other option is to have a portal style app where you download the base game, in this case, T20 and then in-app purchases allows you to add things like Tests, ODI's and so forth. They can guage popularity of the different formats, which ones to focus on and generate revenue accordingly.

Can anyone tell me how do many mobile games avoid licensing issues? Or they don't exist for mobile games?

My (very vague) understanding is the BBL license is a separate beast from say, International Cricket, ODI Series and so forth. Big Ant Studios produced the game for the BBL (as opposed to developing their own IP ala DBC).

often they are just basically console/PC games that work on mobile, rather than thought out as mobile games.

That's what I really like about the BBL app. There's clearly reused resources from the DBC titles but it's fundamentally a complete mobile experience. Expand the fielding a little more, tighten up the batting/bowling and allow a custom team or two and name changes and you've got a really solid future mobile title in the making. No doubt this is a start of something new, it's too polished already for them not to develop it further ....I hope.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, I mean - I haven't put it down (personally) I love it. Going to the Chiro? Fit in a 2 over game. Waiting for the car wash to finish? 5 Overs. It's the shallowness that allows that, a full-on simulation might not be as generously pick-up-and-play for most? Certainly couldn't give it away free!
[/QUOTE

This is it exactly. Mobile games should be INCREDIBLY short game loops, but with massive amounts of metagame to support it. Full on simulation would never work.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
I think in an ideal world, that's the best option, however the app would get increasingly unwieldy adding in all the different formats. Splitting them across multiple-apps gives you revenue streams - the other option is to have a portal style app where you download the base game, in this case, T20 and then in-app purchases allows you to add things like Tests, ODI's and so forth. They can guage popularity of the different formats, which ones to focus on and generate revenue accordingly.

Never split the app. So much relies on performance of the app - splitting it spoils that. I also think that their gameplay mechanics on this are totally incompatible with test cricket.[DOUBLEPOST=1482358109][/DOUBLEPOST]
My (very vague) understanding is the BBL license is a separate beast from say, International Cricket, ODI Series and so forth. Big Ant Studios produced the game for the BBL (as opposed to developing their own IP ala DBC).

I think the question here was aimed at the various apps which use real names of players/teams seemingly without paying for it.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
That's what I really like about the BBL app. There's clearly reused resources from the DBC titles but it's fundamentally a complete mobile experience. Expand the fielding a little more, tighten up the batting/bowling and allow a custom team or two and name changes and you've got a really solid future mobile title in the making. No doubt this is a start of something new, it's too polished already for them not to develop it further ....I hope.

The gameplay is fine. It's the metagame, and (AGAIN, from a business perspective) the monetisation of it that makes this iteration so weak. It's a huge missed opportunity, but I suspect that's the deal that they could get from CA.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
@Biggs My question was aimed at what @Chief said! So many games do it swiftly, even advertising their game through trailers! I just wonder...

Chief

Panel of Selectors
@Biggs My question was aimed at what @Chief said! So many games do it swiftly, even advertising their game through trailers! I just wonder...

The onus would be on the owner of the property to tell them to stop using it - Usually this would be because they were damaging the brand, making money unfairly off the brand or because they had given exclusive permissions elsewhere.
One can only assume that either they are unaware of it, or don't feel like they're losing out right now.

Reactions: DAP

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
The onus would be on the owner of the property to tell them to stop using it - Usually this would be because they were damaging the brand, making money unfairly off the brand or because they had given exclusive permissions elsewhere.
One can only assume that either they are unaware of it, or don't feel like they're losing out right now.
I feel the latter is true!

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
IP Protection varies from country to country, it's not that easy. Now that Cricket Australia have a product in the market they are more likely to issue warnings to those that use their IP.

This is, except PS Vita, GBA, etc, Big Ant's first mobile game, we wanted to prove that we could come out of the gate with the best mobile T20 experience to date on mobile, it's purely a marketing exercise, we're on TV every second night with more than 1 million viewers, we're building a brand.

We will make mobile Cricket games designed to be deeper and they will be revenue generating, they will be split due from T20 due to licenses.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
IP Protection varies from country to country, it's not that easy. Now that Cricket Australia have a product in the market they are more likely to issue warnings to those that use their IP.

This is, except PS Vita, GBA, etc, Big Ant's first mobile game, we wanted to prove that we could come out of the gate with the best mobile T20 experience to date on mobile, it's purely a marketing exercise, we're on TV every second night with more than 1 million viewers, we're building a brand.

We will make mobile Cricket games designed to be deeper and they will be revenue generating, they will be split due from T20 due to licenses.
So, big players in the mobile cricket gaming will suffer due to that now? I am really curious!

Users who are viewing this thread