England in Australia

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
And on the wicket keeper spot, bring Jones back. Read has done less with the bat than Jones did in his lean spell and his technique really has come into question throughout the CT and the ODI series against Pakistan. Jones has Ashes experience too.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Harsh to drop someone who scored a 50 and the third highest score in each of his test innings against Pakistan. He also kept flawlessly. Some slight selective memory there Matt?

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
@Matt, The whole of the 2005 squad was inexperienced to the Ashes tests, and look what we got out of it! The lil urn!

I was listening to a interview with Hoggy this morning on the way to college and he said that the reletive experience of the squad is a great think due to people not having those emotional scars likes Hussian did or Botham, because they played and lost so many times.

puddleduck said:
Harsh to drop someone who scored a 50 and the third highest score in each of his test innings against Pakistan. He also kept flawlessly. Some slight selective memory there Matt?

:rolleyes: Im sure Matt is just sticking up for a favoured player.

Although i agree Jones has the experience, i believe Read will be a great choice in 16 days in Brisbane!

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
The advantages of him starting are that if he fails you have a ready made replacement who has the experience. He will keep well no matter what. He makes Panesar a more dangerous threat.

If Jones starts and it goes badly, you end up without runs or a top class keeper, and then have to thrust someone without Ashes experience into the position.

Also the last thing you want is to see someone like Ponting or Gilchrist dropped early on!

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
England really need a decent keeper who can deliver with gloves and bat, and Jones looked to be that when he hit the scene, but over time the runs have dried up.

I believe give it a few years Prior and maybe the lancashire keeper will be in the set up. (Please help, ive had a mental block and i cant remember his name :p i know the face but the name has disappeared)

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Luke Sutton?!

I can only hope it's actually our reserve keeper Cross who your talking about.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
evertonfan said:
Luke Sutton?!

I can only hope it's actually our reserve keeper Cross who your talking about.

Gareth Cross is it? Yeah, i saw a bit of the lad last season for the reserves who played at the towns ground in a friendly encounter with mens side. He looked quite good. Although he isnt that young is he?

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
22 I believe. Played a few decent innings and kept neatly in his brief flirtation with the senior side last season.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
evertonfan said:
22 I believe. Played a few decent innings and kept neatly in his brief flirtation with the senior side last season.

Are you sure your a northerner? You talk or rather type dam posh!

And yeah he looked good with the gloves "in his brief flirtation with the senior side last season"

cc2003btw

Club Cricketer
Not sure if anyones mentioned it, i just had a gander on the Sky Sports website, turns out they've got live coverage of the Prime Ministers XI game on thursday. Starts at 10:55 p.m. British time.

Sureshot

Executive member
Ooh I'll be watching, if a little late. Probably toddle up to bed about 1ish.

As for the keeping slot, if we play Giles as the only spinner it makes not one iota as I could keep to Giles it's not difficult to pick him, as for Monty, he may not have the variations of Murali but he spins it one hell of a way. I'd go for Read. Easier to fall back on Jones than fall back on Read.

cricketmad09

International Coach
Sureshot said:
Oh I agree the Aussies have good depth, but we haven't done bad with our back up players have we? Cook, Colly and Panesar have all come in and made big impacts.
Hence why I said they SHOULD be able to cover them, and how injuries to those players isnt an excuse.

cc2003btw said:
Not sure if anyones mentioned it, i just had a gander on the Sky Sports website, turns out they've got live coverage of the Prime Ministers XI game on thursday. Starts at 10:55 p.m. British time.
I wouldnt count on winning though. It's a very good team.

Phil Jaques, Mark Cosgrove, Shaun Marsh, Travis Birt, Cameron White, Tim Paine, Adam Voges, Brett Dorey, Shaun Tait, Ben Hilfenhaus and couple of ACT blokes.

Some really good talent there.

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
cricketmad09 said:
Hence why I said they SHOULD be able to cover
I wouldnt count on winning though. It's a very good team.

Phil Jaques, Mark Cosgrove, Shaun Marsh, Travis Birt, Cameron White, Tim Paine, Adam Voges, Brett Dorey, Shaun Tait, Ben Hilfenhaus and couple of ACT blokes.
Some really good talent there.

It is a strong team indeed...just cover your eyes when White steps in to bowl some "leggies" :D

Sureshot

Executive member
cricketmad09 said:
Hence why I said they SHOULD be able to cover them, and how injuries to those players isnt an excuse.

Different from your typical Aussie you see, confusing me all the way.

Warne has said Panesar and Read are excellent, and they are 2 of the most important positions, well we could go in without either of them.

Users who are viewing this thread