My Batting Advice

phil1987

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I had a similar experience playing on Pro level. Im playing the World T20 Cup but in T10 format with Pakistan. Finally managed to win a match yesterday on pro and that too 2 back to back matches against Australia and Canada (who somehow qualified for the cup over Bangladesh and others).

To be honest the Australia match was a walk in the park, however the Canada match went down to the last over and can't believe that i was about to loose :)

After that i thought i had now mastered the batting on Pro, but got a walloping in next match where i was again back to being around 50 all out.

I dont bat with any indicators and use the broadcast view. Sometimes the fielders just appear out of nowhere which is why i get pissed off with Big Ant Studios for not having given us a Field Radar, its a piss poor design decision as the fielders are unseeable when looking around and change far too often also!

I might just stop playing the game until Big Ant do something about fixing this issue at least for single player. :facepalm

For 2 player local, its not a problem as the bowling player will just press UP on Dpad to show me what the field setting is after each field change, and i will show him the same also when he's batting so that its a fair match. But can't believe we are having to do this cause of a major over sight by the designers.:mad

LOL how do you bat with no indicators around the ball?

As awesome as TVs are these days they are still mainly 2D. How can you pick up line and length?

----------

i know.. but thats way too quick to act on :D

Its not so bad if you premeditate your front/back movement before the release of the ball.

If you use the indicator around the ball primarily for choosing shot direction rather than both direction and footwork, it actually works quite well

I know it isn't ideal or realistic but it is a very efficient method.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^The above is exactly what I do. I can't switch to front/back foot. Relfexes are not good enough.

rygers

School Cricketer
Hey guys, looking for some input on how other people are playing spin bowling. I'm on pro level, playing a test match against Bangladesh and going ok against pace bowlers but struggling to find a technique that works so far against their spinners. After 10 or so overs of pace it's spin at both ends and I'm stuffed.

I tried playing straight against the spinner but it seems a high risk tactic as mid on / mid off and the bowler will catch you if you slightly mistime the ball. Plus if you don't judge the line correctly you're bowled or plumb LBW.

I then switched to playing sweeps and reverse sweeps and that seemed more effective. Definitely lower instance of bowled and LBW dismissals.

What are you guys finding? How do you approach the spinners?

CallyT

School Cricketer
OK i find Spin the easiest to play so this is what works for me. I play 100% on the front foot (you can cut and pull short balls from the front foot). The key to spin is you have to really play it late. To get a real feel for it, get in the nets and just play spin for a while.

I have also noted in earlier post, when I play I actually have the R2 held down, I let it off once I know Im not going to block.( worst case I'm late getting my finger off and i just block).

I cant stress enough how long you have to actually wait to play the shot.

You need to be able to be 100% comfortable that you can block anything. With a bit of nets its not hard once you know the timing.

As a very basic guide you play with the spin.

Before I am well set, I block anything pitched on the stumps. If its on leg or leg side, I mostly play through mid on or off the pads (beware good connection can get you caught if fielders are at square leg off your pads). If its outside off I drive it through mid off.

I tend to avoid dead straight drives at present as its hard to keep 100% on the deck.

The thing is with spin, if they have players all around you, you may have to block it out unless you are comfortable going over the top.(always a risk regardless).

Once you get the timing you will be glad when the spinners come on :). ( I play pro also)

Last edited:

rygers

School Cricketer
Thank CallyT. Great advice, I think it's time to head back to practice mode and put in some time just to get a feel for spin bowling. Had a couple of almost rage quit moments last night. Not fun...but fun...frustrating :)

Hunbbel

Club Captain
Hey guys, looking for some input on how other people are playing spin bowling. I'm on pro level, playing a test match against Bangladesh and going ok against pace bowlers but struggling to find a technique that works so far against their spinners. After 10 or so overs of pace it's spin at both ends and I'm stuffed.

I tried playing straight against the spinner but it seems a high risk tactic as mid on / mid off and the bowler will catch you if you slightly mistime the ball. Plus if you don't judge the line correctly you're bowled or plumb LBW.

I then switched to playing sweeps and reverse sweeps and that seemed more effective. Definitely lower instance of bowled and LBW dismissals.

What are you guys finding? How do you approach the spinners?

I just posted this on another thread; I'm posting it again here for you.

For me, playing spin seems a bit easier when compared to facing pace balling - because of the delayed reaction time it requires. For me, pace bowling requires you to be very quick and instant in your reaction - which I lack at this stage of the game.

The tip for playing spin-ball is to stay on your front foot. Spinners rarely bowl a short ball (the one with the red circle). So staying on front-foot will eradicate the need to change your foot position (mostly).

Secondly, if you see a good length ball that you expect to bounce and come at you above knee height, it is not wise to drive that ball towards mid-off, mid-on or towards the bowler. Because you will get too much under the ball and just pop it up for a simple catch. Try playing such balls towards square leg - or deep mid-wicket, if it isn't too short to play it off your pads.

For balls that are too full, you can go towards extra cover, mid-off, mid-on, because there won't be much room to go too much under the ball. Secondly, play the shot as late as you can. Furthermore, don't play powerful shots early in your innings, or you'll nick the ball either to the keeper or into your stumps.

Lastly, don't play the square cut at all. 80% of the time you'll nick the ball to the keeper.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
I cannot even touch the ball in Pro mode, does anyone have any advice? I keep missing every single delivery in Pro mode.

mrzdt

Club Captain
I cannot even touch the ball in Pro mode, does anyone have any advice? I keep missing every single delivery in Pro mode.

Go to the nets and practice your timing. I would suggest if you want to play on Pro mode, practice on Veteran in the nets.

bigsix

School Cricketer
Change the camera while u r taking a run from Running to Broadcast. I found this especially helpful in knowing where the fielders are positioned. The moment you hit the ball the camera shifts to Broadcast which allows you to view a much bigger area of the field than you would if u r using the Running camera. Say u hit a ball to the deep mid wicket, you can also see the long on and the areas close by.
Worked for me to some extent.

Jadel

Club Captain

You probably aren't holding LS up or down. You must do either one of those or you miss.
It's different from amateur in that way. And in the way it's so so so hard it makes you want to smash your tv.

It really is more irritating than enjoyable by quite a wide margin.

Honestly all these tips are great but playing against pace requires you to make a split second decision based on length, line and speed and convert that into block,leave , hit, big hit, then what direction to choose. All of this in literally 1/10th of a second. There is no way you can learn how to do that. It's not a steep learning curve. It's either something your reflexes can handle or it's impossible and you will always suck. I am firmly in the latter camp.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
my problem is i have reflexes like a deaf mule, so hence every shot i play is premeditated....

not the right way to do things, im hoping my reflexes will get better the more i play

i dont mind taking a hit in the head, as long as i dont go out!!

Same here. I just cannot help premeditating my shots (just like in real life). Was able to get away with it on Amateur because of the footwork assist, but life is Hell on Pro. I was tempted to switch to Amateur but then I wouldn't learn anything and be dependent on the assist.

So going to stick to Pro and practice. Will start spending time in Nets from today onwards. And then move onto Practice/Casual matches.

PS: and its all about pace. I am fairly comfortable with playing spin. Ofcourse by the time the spinners are on I am playing with tailenders :P

It's not a steep learning curve. It's either something your reflexes can handle or it's impossible and you will always suck. I am firmly in the latter camp.

Good to read that I am not the only one out there :P

Last edited:

wildfire

School Cricketer
Every time I try to smash spinners I get caught on Pro quite frustrating. :( when I tried match practice mode on Amatuer difficulty they're easy to hit for 6... really need to get back to the nets now lol.

rygers

School Cricketer
Ok, so it's good to hear I'm not the only one who wants to take their screen and throw it across the room. Last night I was 61/1 (chasing a total of 160-ish)...spinners came on...80 all out. Not happy. Was Warne v Cullinan all over again.

Next game I decided I was going to play the field (sounds obvious I know). What I noticed is that if mid on / off are up...there aren't many fielders in close square...and vice versa. Mid on / off are back...fielders are in tight square. So I would sweep / reverse sweep if mid on / off were up, and come down the wicket and play it down the ground if mid on / off were back.

End of story, I did better. Scored about 160 and that was with some stupid dismissals. Still playing v Bangladesh and their millions of spinners.

My feeling is that unless you have a game plan and stick to it you're gonna get rolled in this game.

boycs

School Cricketer
I got better at batting, when I did these things, maybe it will work for others:

- turned off all the circle indicators in options
- changed batting cam to close.

Doing this I was able to watch the ball coming out of the bowler's hand and judge it quickly like in real life.

For me, all the visual aids were getting in the way. Try it for a while and see if it works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread