New Zealand Tour of India, November 2010/11

Manish Pandey

That guy needs more time I think, probably rope in Rahane, he has a good domestic experience too.

Also Shikhar Dhawan will probably stay but he needs to do it big in next match against NewZealand.

Just forget Ifran, that guy isn't gonna come back in the team but I do want him in the XI. and yeah, I'd like to see Sreesanth playing in ODI's again, that guy can be dangerous and surely against NZ.

Ugh, Manish Pandey in the ODI format is just a bad, bad decision at this stage. He's only had one season, and he averages like 28(he's had good knocks in the format, just inconsistency at times and a bad tour of England have lowered that average drastically) in the format. His T20 average is higher. Rahane, Pujara or even Manoj Tiwary should be way ahead. You could pick Pandey on potential, but that would be stupid considering the accomplished domestic players around. We'll probably see Nohit play though.

Also, Mukund > Vijay or Dhawan, for me, in the ODI format.

Irfan Pathan is injured. And, imo, no point in getting him back in, since his bowling is not what it used to be, and he'll just be a liability. Abhishek Nayar is someone I want to see tried out at number 7 for a few games, but even he has slipped down the pecking order for some odd reason.

Last edited:
This series has the potential to stuff us up even more.

If India rest all their main players and we win, NZ cricket aren't going to make any changes, and we'll continue to go downhill.

Pretty much is what needs to happen is we need to get wasted, so some of the ****ers involved in NZ cricket can fearsome tweak off before the WC starts.

This Bangladesh series has really woken up the cricketing public, but if we go and beat a third string Indian team everyone is going to think it's back to normal, and no changes will be made.

If we're going to have any chance in the WC, some changes need to be made fast. I'm not sure whether it's coaching, management, or personal, but after nothing happened after the Bangladesh disaster, we really need to get wasted here, so something does happen.

Sorry if some of you don't understand my point, but I just think some serious changes need to be made if we're going to have any chance in the WC.

Hopefully NZ cricket can prove me wrong. :)

Dunno if anyone has seen this sign on the motorway in Auckland:

4266449.jpg

This is the one in Wellington, but it says the same thing.

The tui signs along the motorway (near ellerslie) used to be the highlight of my train trip to school

Suresh Raina has played non-stop cricket too.. and should be rested. I understand he's a youngster but burnout can happen to anyone.
I would like to see Sehwag play for first 3 one dayers. He hardly does much running.

I agree to you on Raina's point

When does the New Zealand squad get announced? It's sometime this weekend right?

New Zealand Cricket - BLACKCAPS announce 15-man Test squad for tour of India

Brent Arnel – Northern Knights
Hamish Bennett – Canterbury Wizards
Martin Guptill – Auckland Aces
Gareth Hopkins – Auckland Aces
Chris Martin – Auckland Aces
Brendon McCullum – Otago Volts
Tim McIntosh – Auckland Aces
Andy McKay – Wellington Firebirds
Jeetan Patel – Wellington Firebirds
Jesse Ryder – Wellington Firebirds
Tim Southee – Northern Knights
Ross Taylor – Central Stags
Daniel Vettori (c) – Northern Knights
B-J Watling – Northern Knights
Kane Williamson – Northern Knights

A rather predictable squad really.

Watling and McIntosh to continue opening duties, Hopkins in as keeper, and Patel as backup spinner. Williamson and Bennett are the new faces, and they'd be there because they impressed at times in Bangladesh. India will be a completely different challenge though.

Guptill's there, I don't see how he deserves to be there after failing in Zimbabwe, but the selectors have faith. I can't really see him fitting into the lineup.

I expect the lineup will be something along the lines of:

Watling
McIntosh
McCullum/Guptill
Taylor
Ryder
Williamson
Vettori
Hopkins
Southee
Arnel
Martin

I also note that only one player from Central, Otago and Canterbury's in the side. 3 from the Firebirds, 4 from the Aces and 5 from the Knights :)

Who knows. Guptill my yet get a spot in the starting XI considering how selectors like to give endless chances to players. But your starting XI is basically what I would've chosen.

I would have been tempted to bring back Mills or even Tuffey in place of Martin. His last Test series was against Australia at home. 1 wicket @ 260.00 with an economy rate of 4.19 in two Tests isn't good enough. I reckon if he doesn't perform in India, it may very well be the end of the road for him.

Boy do I hate seeing Hopkins in the lineup....

Also just noticed no Jamie How. Wouldn't have been a bad pick. Maybe if McIntosh or Watling fails he might get a shot for the Pakistan series.

Open with Guptill instead of Watling IMO.

Though nice to see Williamson and Bennett in the squad, good selection IMO but it should contained Jamie How.
This is gonna be a real test for Williamson, he only looked good in one match against Bangladesh where he hit that century. Needs more time I think, but this is going to be a great experience for him.

If Watling can improve his keeping then he should be coming in for hopkins which would give us a chance to play another batsman in the future.

The lineup I would like to see would be

1. Tim McIntosh
2. BJ Watling
3. Jesse Ryder
4. Ross Taylor
5. Brendon McCullum
6. Kane Williamson
7. Gareth Hopkins
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Jeetan Patel
10. Brent Arnel
11. Andy McKay

Strong batting lineup with 3 spin options which would be needed at Ahmadabad, and the 2 quicks should be good. Southee and Martin aren't needed they've been terribly out of form and their pace would just get creamed since none of them can reverse the ball.

Hopefully Jaime How continues with his good form in the domestic season and gets a call-up for the Pakistan series.

Users who are viewing this thread