Patch 3 Requests/Wishlist

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Indeed they should probably update the logo in Patch 3 to say "15" - and use that to market it. Along the lines of "We've released a new cricket game, and you already have it for free if you bought the last edition" - would be a nice way of getting another run of press for a patch.
That's a very good idea. :tick:

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
What do you get out of playing AC09 which you don't in DBC???

Well I only bowl, and I like to have a real feeling test match.. I still play DBC for the career mode occasionally.

I have the 1st patched version and have edited the stats slightly as spinners are too effective on AC 09.

I can tell the difference between the players is the only reason I play AC 09 over DBC 14.. McCullum and Warner flay the ball to the boundary and someone like Watling's or Latham's shot's won't travel all the way necessarily.. DBC batsmen are just supermen who edge or hit boundaries until the AI decides their time is up and to scoop one to mid off. Southee comes in with a good eye but poor judgement and hits a nice shot before being caught to a rubbish one. Tailenders don't hit more than 15 generally because they are tailenders.

Shot direction is more varied, I get punished for a bad ball and the good ball is left and respected, but not always. Batsmen aren't obsessed with playing a late cut to the last ball of every over if no runs have yet been scored. They are happy to play out a maiden.

I've had ten different dismissals in my last innings. From attacking players like Anderson driving to mid on and Guptill missing an inswinging yorker. I've had nicks behind and nicks to the slip. I had a run out as well going for the third.

Of course DBC has bags of potential as it's a labour of love, but I've been watching cricket for 20 years and AC 09, in its patched form, just feels more like cricket to me. With players who behaved a bit more like their real life counterparts, of course DBC would be better. But I'm guessing not everyone plays the game for that.

It's not that I have anything against Big Ant or DBC.. I've had over 780 hours trying to like the game, but in the end AC 09 just feels more authentic. Although it did take a good patch, the vanilla version is a load of rubbish AI wise.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@Langeveldt if you change the stats along the lines of what we've been saying in the other thread you get all that.

Skills/attributes are overpowered in DBC - lower then and you get a much much better experience

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
@Langeveldt if you change the stats along the lines of what we've been saying in the other thread you get all that.

Skills/attributes are overpowered in DBC - lower then and you get a much much better experience

Perhaps I should have another go, I lost all patience with it to be honest. What's the most authentic difficulty on all that? I still couldn't coax an edge on veteran level no matter how hard I tried, or see a noticeable difference in aggression between say a Cook and a Warner

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Indeed they should probably update the logo in Patch 3 to say "15" - and use that to market it. Along the lines of "We've released a new cricket game, and you already have it for free if you bought the last edition" - would be a nice way of getting another run of press for a patch.

I think that now you have posted this great idea they would be crazy not to do so.

@Langeveldt Have you actually played with Blockerdave's teams or with the suggested settings in the making bowling more enjoyable thread? Because it really doesn't sound like it.

You need to play on pro level if the longer formats are your thing. Veteran and above is still a problem in regards to edges.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I think that now you have posted this great idea they would be crazy not to do so.

@Langeveldt Have you actually played with Blockerdave's teams or with the suggested settings in the making bowling more enjoyable thread? Because it really doesn't sound like it.

You need to play on pro level if the longer formats are your thing. Veteran and above is still a problem in regards to edges.

Yeah I have.. I still couldn't see a discernible difference between a conservative player and a brute however.. I seem to get that on AC 09 by upping the power and timing sliders. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but it's 2015 after all.

One thing I like about AC 09 is the confidence levels. You hit a batsman and it goes down, if he is a skilled player he comes out of the blocks in a more aggressive way. I don't see that whole bowling to a plan thing in DBC.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
If you want a more attacking player, I'd say they need higher anticipation and strength.[DOUBLEPOST=1432978057][/DOUBLEPOST]It's not perfect, there's a trade off, but the lower skills & attributes give an immensely better experience than before, and certainly AC09

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Well , If BA could try and insert you guys hard work into their patch , it might help us all . Although in Online Mode , there is a whole different complexion to most of the problems.

Jay OTT

Club Cricketer
What do you get out of playing AC09 which you don't in DBC???
There's no accounting for taste in this world. As someone who has played both AC09 and DBC, I do understand what Langeveldt means about player skills making more of a difference to how the game unfolds in AC09 compared to DBC. The difference between a good and a bad player was very noticeable in AC09, whereas in DBC it's more subtle, perhaps to a fault.

However, in many other aspects that you can judge a cricket game on, DBC gets the nod from me, and sometimes by a large margin too. Game modes is the big one for me; AC09 is very barebones in this department, with Ashes/Test Series and One-Day/Twenty20 knock-out tournaments being the only non-exhibition modes available. DBC meanwhile has a career mode that might be somewhat lacking in depth, but is nonetheless a great game mode and an important feature for a modern sports game. There's also plenty more competition options and permutations available, especially with the customisation options in the game.

As for the game play itself... I think I speak for many people when I say that bowling markers have traditionally made batting far too easy and unrealistic, and AC09 was no exception. In this regard, DBC's no-marker system is not without it's flaws, because I, and probably many others also, still have to pre-meditate strokes against the fast bowlers due to having to begin your stoke early in order to get ideal timing on the game. Despite this, it's still a big step up from what has come before in the cricket game genre, and the only thing I'd change would be to move the timing windows a bit to make playing each ball on merit against the fast bowlers easier.

AC09 did have customisation options but it was somewhat limited. Limited team slots, created players had a skills cap, and no custom competitions or match types either. And for me at least, the AI in AC09 really struggled against a certain type of delivery that I won't outright state in case it ruins the game for others who still play AC09. I haven't found such a killer delivery to bowl to the AI in DBC yet, though they do appear to struggle a bit more against spin than against pace. And overall, besides the sometimes weird shot selection (aka late cuts), and overly cautious running between the wickets, I find the AI in DBC to be a relatively smart entity...

PS: Regarding the ongoing discussions about edges that I've seen on this forum, I find that edges are a frequent occurrence when I'm batting, but uncommon when bowling to the AI. Most of my edges which result in a wicket go straight to the wicket-keeper; catches in the slips are relatively rare, though the gully does take his fair share of thick edges and miscued cut shots. All of this is on the PS3 version btw.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
There's no accounting for taste in this world. As someone who has played both AC09 and DBC, I do understand what Langeveldt means about player skills making more of a difference to how the game unfolds in AC09 compared to DBC. The difference between a good and a bad player was very noticeable in AC09, whereas in DBC it's more subtle, perhaps to a fault.

However, in many other aspects that you can judge a cricket game on, DBC gets the nod from me, and sometimes by a large margin too. Game modes is the big one for me; AC09 is very barebones in this department, with Ashes/Test Series and One-Day/Twenty20 knock-out tournaments being the only non-exhibition modes available. DBC meanwhile has a career mode that might be somewhat lacking in depth, but is nonetheless a great game mode and an important feature for a modern sports game. There's also plenty more competition options and permutations available, especially with the customisation options in the game.

As for the game play itself... I think I speak for many people when I say that bowling markers have traditionally made batting far too easy and unrealistic, and AC09 was no exception. In this regard, DBC's no-marker system is not without it's flaws, because I, and probably many others also, still have to pre-meditate strokes against the fast bowlers due to having to begin your stoke early in order to get ideal timing on the game. Despite this, it's still a big step up from what has come before in the cricket game genre, and the only thing I'd change would be to move the timing windows a bit to make playing each ball on merit against the fast bowlers easier.

AC09 did have customisation options but it was somewhat limited. Limited team slots, created players had a skills cap, and no custom competitions or match types either. And for me at least, the AI in AC09 really struggled against a certain type of delivery that I won't outright state in case it ruins the game for others who still play AC09. I haven't found such a killer delivery to bowl to the AI in DBC yet, though they do appear to struggle a bit more against spin than against pace. And overall, besides the sometimes weird shot selection (aka late cuts), and overly cautious running between the wickets, I find the AI in DBC to be a relatively smart entity...

PS: Regarding the ongoing discussions about edges that I've seen on this forum, I find that edges are a frequent occurrence when I'm batting, but uncommon when bowling to the AI. Most of my edges which result in a wicket go straight to the wicket-keeper; catches in the slips are relatively rare, though the gully does take his fair share of thick edges and miscued cut shots. All of this is on the PS3 version btw.

This is probably the most accurate response I've seen regarding DBC's strengths and flaws. I must say I do use an excellent editor for the attributes for AC 09 which cancels out any inbuilt limitations, you can change whatever you like.

I'd also like to meet someone who can bat without premeditating against the quicks on DBC. I'm a handy batsman in the real world, and I must say DBC is far more difficult.. Perhaps that's what they set out to achieve.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A cross between the practice match batting gameplay and the normal match batting gameplay is the best way to go, in my opinion. @barmyarmy had suggested this too.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'd also like to meet someone who can bat without premeditating against the quicks on DBC. I'm a handy batsman in the real world, and I must say DBC is far more difficult.. Perhaps that's what they set out to achieve.

Define premeditate? I'll look at the field at if there's a gap in an area I favour, I'll look to play in that area if I can. If the ball isn't suitable I reckon more often than not I have time to modify and play a different shot or defend.

DBC has two problems - the biggest is that the AI is very poor in all areas. It detracts from the game significantly, but the game is still very playable. The second is that the translation of skills to gameplay is overpowered, but that can be got around by lowering skills and also attributes.

The key is to spend the time getting a setup that works for you. I'm not sure there's a universal set up everyone will agree with - me, cookie & the other guys playing the lowered settings all have slightly different set ups. Had you put the same time in to working out a set up in DBC that you've spent in AC09 I reckon you'd be pretty close to a good set up for you now.

I think I have found a set up where I can get good results bowling if I bowl well and conditions are favourable - if I'm off my game or it's a featherbed it's hard work. Batting likewise is tough but rewarding - I'm scoring at reasonable rates, can collapse if I'm not concentrating or overly aggressive. I've hit a very good current set up, and am enjoying DBC more than ever.

Users who are viewing this thread