TheArtofCricket.net

Ritwik

co-founder
whitehornmatt said:
The problems here begin with the cumbersomeness of using html only, which means basically no search.
Surely you didn't hand code the whole thing ?

My (unsolicited :)) comments on the site:

Although you've done a pretty good job in making sure the site is compatible at different resolutions and with different browsers, there do remain a few rough spots which you would do well to rectify:

1. The fonts and the text (especially the titles) don't look very impressive. Maybe you can try using fonts at a lower point size, which would look a lot more professional. Try using a more striking colour for the titles.
2. The colours of the top navigation bar could have been "livelier". In fact the colour scheme of the entire site looks a little too "sober" for a game - my advise would be to use a little more of orange, red and blues. If you'll notice other games' site, you'll notice that these colours (as well as black) are used in abundance to give a more lively look and feel to the site.
3. there is a little issue with the mouseover effects - when you highlight an image in the right navigation bar you get an annoying reddish highlight, maybe you can try resizing the images or changing the dimensions of the linked regions to rectify this.
4. I would agree with Blackleo in that you need to put in a disclaimer showing "work in progress" and you should add prev, next buttons to the gallery.

Don't take my comments as criticism, but as advise to make an already good site an even better advertisement for TCP.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ritwik said:
2. The colours of the top navigation bar could have been "livelier". In fact the colour scheme of the entire site looks a little too "sober" for a game - my advise would be to use a little more of orange, red and blues. If you'll notice other games' site, you'll notice that these colours (as well as black) are used in abundance to give a more lively look and feel to the site.

a very worthy point.

actually small things like these help in creating a very good first impression.
nice one, ritwik, so is the rest of post :)

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Ritwik said:
Surely you didn't hand code the whole thing ?

My (unsolicited :)) comments on the site:

Although you've done a pretty good job in making sure the site is compatible at different resolutions and with different browsers, there do remain a few rough spots which you would do well to rectify:

1. The fonts and the text (especially the titles) don't look very impressive. Maybe you can try using fonts at a lower point size, which would look a lot more professional. Try using a more striking colour for the titles.
3. there is a little issue with the mouseover effects - when you highlight an image in the right navigation bar you get an annoying reddish highlight, maybe you can try resizing the images or changing the dimensions of the linked regions to rectify this.
4. I would agree with Blackleo in that you need to put in a disclaimer showing "work in progress" and you should add prev, next buttons to the gallery.

Don't take my comments as criticism, but as advise to make an already good site an even better advertisement for TCP.
First, yes I did hand code the whole thing
Second and thirdly, I saw there as being two ways of settting the color scheme, using the colors from the logo, or ones that complement them or stand out, I chose to go with the darker stuff for that reason. I will play around with some color schemes for the top and post some screenshots here of some of them and there could be a vote.
Fourth, that was done deliberately, although it is a simple change, thoughts from other people about that would be nice.
and finally, A disclaimer could go in but as for the arrows, that will most likely not happen for the reasons I said above, there is a way to do it in html, but it would involve lots of extra pages on the site to little gain IMO.

So basically I am asking other people these questions:
Does it look too dull?
Do you like the highlight at the side of the images in the sidebar?
And do you see a benifit in having a slideshow like gallery as well as the thumbnail one there?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
blackleopard92 said:
why do u have to hand craft it?
try so many free or professional WYSIWYG editors
I hand code for ideological reasons, and I personally find it easier.

Cool 'n' Casual

School Cricketer
Well, hand coding is better than WYSIWYG editors any given day! And people who have a good knowledge of HTML do find it easier to write the full code themselves (like Matt). Plus, WYSIWYG editors add a lot of rubbish code that adds to the bulk of the page and looks crappy if someone views the source code of the site.
As for the site, it is looking good ATM but the colours could have been a bit more flashy. A disclaimer wouldn't hurt either. Overall, it is looking quite impressive. I like the 'Get the latest video' and 'Visit the forums' images. :)

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
A minor-ish update to the website, there is now a listing of the Cricket Projects staff available at http://thecricketproject.com/staff.htm or by going to http://thecricketproject.com/ and clicking the "the people" image.
If your name appears on the page in question there is a photo of you or your avatar. However we are aiming to have it all photos eventually, so if you are there and wouldn't mind having your photo there, PM one to me and I will put it there.

Also while I was making that "The People" image I made a quick "The Cricket Project" one that you can perhaps use if you want to link to the cricket project, or for any other reason you see fit:
tcpji8.jpg

Last edited:

Brett_Lee

International Coach
great work. reps for you. If you ever need any help with web making, i know html, basic php etc i know quite a bit so i will be glad to help.

Also Lm said i could do the aussie patch a while back for player lists etc. i dont know if im still doing it though

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
whitehornmatt said:
A minor-ish update to the website, there is now a listing of the Cricket Projects staff available at http://thecricketproject.com/staff.htm or by going to http://thecricketproject.com/ and clicking the "the people" image.
If your name appears on the page in question there is a photo of you or your avatar. However we are aiming to have it all photos eventually, so if you are there and wouldn't mind having your photo there, PM one to me and I will put it there.

Also while I was making that "The People" image I made a quick "The Cricket Project" one that you can perhaps use if you want to link to the cricket project, or for any other reason you see fit:
tcpji8.jpg
It would be great if you spelt my name properly! ;)
Excellent work however.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
duffarama said:
It would be great if you spelt my name properly! ;)
Excellent work however.
Jk gave my the list of names itself, so you can blame him, or tell me how to spell it correctly and it will magically change without anyone being the wiser

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
whitehornmatt said:
Jk gave my the list of names itself, so you can blame him, or tell me how to spell it correctly and it will magically change without anyone being the wiser
Matthew Dufty. :)

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
duffarama said:
You sound like you are in a bad mood at the moment Matt. Cheer up. :cool:
Don't worry, it's just I have been having mood swings ever since I started on the harder drugs, it will wear off in a few days

Users who are viewing this thread