Wealey's Realism Gameplay Tweaks

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Havent been able to play much recently, but i finally got my fantasy test franchise teams created and drafted. I went through and amended attributes (detailed below) Only played a session and a bit so far in sydney with the Sydney franchise playing Johannesburg. Having reduced i was worried teams wouldnt be able to put up a big score on the flat wickets but so far joburg 70/1 and batting well having won the toss.

Judgement: reduced to 1/2 for tail enders, 5 for mid tier batsmen,6 for elite batsmen

Power: 1/2 for tail enders, 5 for everyone else

Every other attribute was reduced by 2 from the big ant default attributes , bowlers attributes weren't touched, gameplay has been very fun batsmen can hit fours and still hit lofted shots but the lowered judgement just adds more dynamism to the game, lbws feel more achievable and i find you can set them up too. Will post with screenshots when first innings is complete
This is absolutely the right thing to do. Done similar though not as drastic on power. Changes the game completely and as far as I can tell in an entirely positive manner.

CBriddo

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Without reskilling, are there any potential sliders to reduce the run rates? If you leave the AI to it, it seems like they’ll always go at 3.2-4 an over, I’ve not once seen it below 3. Not sure if you’re looking at this for v2?
Also I’ve done 12 innings of AI vs AI, albeit mainly bowling wickets but teams struggle to make 250 too often.

my logic is that if I can nail the AI vs AI then it means the only thing we can blame for our results are ourselves as the human players (hope this makes sense)

anandponnath

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Played a few 50 over matches with runrate at 20. AI played proper shots, and a few swipes and slogs at the end. Loved it. Got scores all the way from 209 to 304.

This is career at club level, so not reskilled.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Bah. Should have been better, but I suppose in those conditions, it could have been much worse as well.

View attachment 261245
Crawley, Root and Pope all getting in, but only Stokes and Buttler got in and made something of it. In truth, without that partnership I've been in a bad place, though they both played well and got what they deserved.

Frustrating to have passed their score 5 down and only finished 59 ahead, but such is life. You just have to be incredibly watchful, and accept you can't do certain things with lower order players like you can with actual batters. It's been good, enjoyable.

Had to can it for now, but West Indies were 2 down early doors, so there's plenty to play for yet!
Well, I finished this test off. I'm happy to play more, let's say a 5 match series, just to see how it pans out. But for now, a brief overview and some thoughts.

The West Indies 2nd innings:

1641916134961.png
As I was 59 ahead from the first innings, that left me needing 176 batting last to win.

After the overcast image I posted of the sky for my first innings, I was far more hopeful when this was what greeted me for my second go:

1641916271797.png
120/2, needing 176. Laughing
152/6, not laughing.

Made it in the end though:

1641916443657.png
Much like real life, England appear to suffer really badly from losing wickets in clumps when I use them. Burns and Hameed then Burns and Crawley did the hard work, then we lost out way before Buttler and Woakes helped us crawl over the line.

I've now played 2 games against West Indies in England. They've managed:
  • 228 all out in 78 overs
  • 197 all out in 66 overs
  • 230 all out in 97.1 overs
  • 234 all out in 83.3 overs
I've managed:
  • 185 all out in 58.2 overs
  • 153 all out in 50.4 overs
  • 289 all out in 88 overs
  • 177-7 in 53.3 overs
I've won one, lost one. I appear to be getting a bit better with the bat, but it is hard work. I lost 4 of my 7 wickets in that 2nd innings bowled playing through the offside and losing my timber as the ball swung and/or seamed. The AI's innings have all felt a bit similar though, we'll see what happens in the third test.

Also, through four innings, Roston Chase averages 66.5 against me. Getting fairly fed up of him, I'll not lie. I routinely get rid of the openers and then he rebuilds every time. I would love to skittle him at some point!

Still, the point remains, I'm enjoying this game and I'm enjoying the reskilled teams.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
@blockerdave hey there hope you're well, just wanted to ask along with your reskill teams are you also lowering AI RR and Timing? Curious to see what results the two combined produce as I found even just reducing RR & Timing was game changing for me (only played odis)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
@blockerdave hey there hope you're well, just wanted to ask along with your reskill teams are you also lowering AI RR and Timing? Curious to see what results the two combined produce as I found even just reducing RR & Timing was game changing for me (only played odis)
My England vs WI games are a combination of reduced attributes plus custom sliders, if you're interested

RDB3

Club Cricketer
My England vs WI games are a combination of reduced attributes plus custom sliders, if you're interested
@Rumple43 How is V2 of the spreadsheats going and when are you planning to post it? Just curious to see how the changes will affect game play. Thanx

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
@Rumple43 How is V2 of the spreadsheats going and when are you planning to post it? Just curious to see how the changes will affect game play. Thanx
The sliders I'm using right now are the same as V1 except for a couple of physics tweaks. They're not far off at all.

As for V2, a week or two. Needs the excel work doing, mainly. That takes a but of time with all the conditional formatting.

RDB3

Club Cricketer
The sliders I'm using right now are the same as V1 except for a couple of physics tweaks. They're not far off at all.

As for V2, a week or two. Needs the excel work doing, mainly. That takes a but of time with all the conditional formatting.
Okay thanx. Goodluck with all the excel work (rather you than me)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am doing it in combination with rumples sliders (more or less, some minor changes.)

I’ll post some more detail probably next week when I’ve had both a chance to play it more and be sure of some results and also just have more time generally for a long post!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Out of interest for anyone looking (and I'll pin this to the opening post of the slider thread as well), I have reskilled players as follows in case anyone wanted something as a rough guide:

For my players:
  • Power and judgement both to level 8, unless the skill is already less than 8, in which case leave it where it is.
  • Leave running speed where it is.
  • Take 2 levels off every other batting attribute, so 2 clicks left for footwork, control, attacking defending, drive, cut, hook/pull, glance, sweep and special shots.
  • Under the fielding skills, turn coverage up to level 15, leave catching alone, throw accuracy to level 2, everything else (throw strength, ground fielding, diving) to level 15.
  • Didn't touch any bowling stats, perks or proficiencies.
For the AI:
  • Power and judgement both to level 4, unless the skill is already less than 4 ,in which case leave it where it is.
  • Take 2 levels off every other batting attribute, so 2 clicks left for footwork, control, attacking defending, drive, cut, hook/pull, glance, sweep and special shots.
  • Didn't touch their bowling, fielding, perks or proficiencies.
It leaves the two teams I'm currently using something like this:

1641994803610.png
A basic reduction across the board, but individual differences still remain since I've just blanked reduced attributes by two levels. Anyone north of 80 is an elite player, 75+ is very good.

Root gets a bump due to his bowling skills, same with Stokes and Holder. Chase is only 71 and I can't get him out!

Bill Greensmith

Club Captain

Out of interest for anyone looking (and I'll pin this to the opening post of the slider thread as well), I have reskilled players as follows in case anyone wanted something as a rough guide:

For my players:
  • Power and judgement both to level 8, unless the skill is already less than 8, in which case leave it where it is.
  • Under the fielding skills, turn coverage up to level 15, leave catching alone, throw accuracy to level 2, everything else (throw strength, ground fielding, diving) to level 15.
  • Didn't touch any bowling stats, perks or proficiencies.
For the AI:
  • Power and judgement both to level 4, unless the skill is already less than 4 ,in which case leave it where it is.
  • Didn't touch their bowling, fielding, perks or proficiencies.
It leaves the two teams I'm currently using something like this:

View attachment 261363
A basic reduction across the board, but individual differences still remain since I've just blanked reduced attributes by two levels. Anyone north of 80 is an elite player, 75+ is very good.

Root gets a bump due to his bowling skills, same with Stokes and Holder. Chase is only 71 and I can't get him out!
Good work Rumple and thanks.

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
Ok, first test of my Franchise Test League, 10 tens playing home and away before a semi finals, i drafted the teams myself, my knowledge of a lot of players isnt great so forgive me if batsmen are batting higher/lower than they should be. But using the adjustments i noted above ive had good gameplay, Joburg have had a bit of a collapse which is alarming on this gold a pitch but we'll see how it goes. Wickets were lovely including the Rabada wicket caught by Ul haq on the ring.

Attachments

• 59ffd016-7402-4a41-89c6-3d393574383e.png
    59ffd016-7402-4a41-89c6-3d393574383e.png
    998.4 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread