Review Ashes Cricket 2009 Press Reviews

cricket/2009

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
lol yeh i dunno, i just copyed everything that was in the magazine

Sureshot

Executive member
Just found this new review giving the game 4.7/10.. He doesn't go in a huge detail but I guess thats what he thought..

The batsman?s Holding, the bowler?s Willy...
Cricket is videogaming?s forgotten sport. Along with rugby, developers and publishers seem at ease with pretending it doesn?t exist. The last one of any note was Brian Lara International Cricket 2007? and we?ll leave that there. So, as you?d expect, there was a mini wave of expectation when Codemasters announced that the sport was back on its radar. Unfortunately, we would?ve all been better off without it.

M_12206_Ashes_02.jpg

Ashes 2009 is so bland that there are cricket games from a decade ago that offer a greater amount of excitement. All aspects feel like a slog, failing to implement any of the fine intricacies the activity possesses. Bowling has been watered down to a mere ?move target here? mini-game, whereas batting asks nothing more than to bap every shot over the boundary. It?s the latter where things really fall apart.
It would seem that Transmission Games isn?t too aware of physics, as the most obscene shots can be made. Think that ball an inch away from your face can?t be smacked for six? Think again? It?s beyond infuriating, as whether you?re in control or trying to find a way to fight against it, there?s no real sense of competition. Matches soon descend into who can take advantage of a situation the most.
While Ashes 2009 doesn?t feel rushed, it does seem as if numerous corners were cut, souring the entire package. Character models are hilarious, animation is poor and the overall presentation just sums up the game as a whole: it?s really dull. Those simply desperate for a cricket title may squeeze something out of it, but even then disappointment is bound to eventually set in.

Final Verdict
A poor representation of the sport that will be completely ignored by everyone other than those who take a direct interest. Alas, even this group will feel a little underwhelmed. 4.7/10

GAME SCORES
Graphics:4.9/10
Sound:4.5/10
Gameplay:5.0/10
Longevity:4.2/10
Multiplayer:5.3/10
Overall:4.7/10

ref: Ashes Cricket 2009 (Xbox 360) review | NowGamer

I'd pretty clear guess he was playing on Easy or Normal. The pick up and play methods of the game don't do it any favours. As for a ball being an inch from your face and hitting it for six. Pull shot anyone? :D I'd love to know how he tested multiplayer too.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'd pretty clear guess he was playing on Easy or Normal. The pick up and play methods of the game don't do it any favours. As for a ball being an inch from your face and hitting it for six. Pull shot anyone? :D I'd love to know how he tested multiplayer too.

Exactly. The man has obviously never heard of the hook/pull shot.

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
Reading their magazine, they also gave BLIC 07, 6/10 and Cricket 07 7/10. I think it's best we leave their reviews where they are, in their magazine.

Swingers

Club Cricketer
Reading their magazine, they also gave BLIC 07, 6/10 and Cricket 07 7/10. I think it's best we leave their reviews where they are, in their magazine.

Ha ha they actually think BLIC2007 is better, thats just bonkers:doh:doh:doh

I think we can pretty much gather everything we need to know just from that simple fact. So BLIC2007 has better graphics as well does it.............................................I think not!!

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Ha ha they actually think BLIC2007 is better, thats just bonkers:doh:doh:doh

I think we can pretty much gather everything we need to know just from that simple fact. So BLIC2007 has better graphics as well does it.............................................I think not!!

Eh?

They gave Blic2007 a 6 out of 10 and Ashes Cricket an 8 out of 10.

Or am I misunderstanding what you said? Sorry if I am.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Never heard of 'em anyway. I'll stick with IGN/Gamespot/reader reviews online and PC Gamer/my own opinion offline.

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Sorry I was talking about the NowGamer scores:D

Ah! I see, my bad. Sorry :facepalm

Golden28 added 4 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Golden28 added 2 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Does this mean that you think OPM overrate games?

I can see what you mean with BLIC and Cricket 07 but you are getting me nervous as I know you have the game and by saying that we should leave OPM reviews where they are indicates that you also think this review for Ashes 09 is a little too high in its praise.

See what I'm trying to do here? ;)

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
Yeh, get info out of me before I can say it :D

Read the review for yourself. They miss out many key areas. They are a general gaming magazine, excellent at times I think, but I've been here for 4 years, know what you lot want, what actually matters to most of you, etc. I can read their review and am genuinely surprised at some of the areas they've missed.

I thought BLIC 07 was a hideously awful game. It'd get no more than a 4 from me. I got bored within a few minutes of that batting. Cricket 07, it just needed too much patching. More playable than BLIC 07, but no way is it a 7/10 game if you're relying on 3rd party patchers to make it a half decent game.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Eurogamer.net's Review

Eurogamer.net's Ashes Cricket 2009 Review

They called it the ball of the century. Wrist snapping as the ball tore from the young leg-spinner's hand, it swerved improbably through the air. Twisting away to Mike Gatting's leg-side, the bemused England veteran instinctively thrust out his left lag and jabbed the bat against it to create what should have been an impervious shield between man and wicket. But as the ball pitched up from the rough it spun back implausibly, miraculously, wide of man, bat and pad,thundering into off stump. Pandemonium.

It was the first Test of the 1993 Ashes series at Old Trafford. And the first ball bowled against England by a cocky 23 year-old with look-at-me hair and pie-in-me paunch. Shane Warne had arrived.

Fast forward 12 years. They called it the greatest ever series. Warne, by then the finest spinner the world had ever known, had privately decided this would be his Test swansong: to reclaim the famous Urn on English soil, conjuring victory through an almost superhuman force of will and talent, capping off a glittering career of personal achievement and ruthless international dominance.

But on the final day of the final Test at the Oval, one man above all others refused to play to the script. And having been clumsily dropped, with savage irony, by Warne himself at slip on 15, Kevin Pietersen produced one of the great innings, a knock of breathtaking audacity, defiance, skill and aggression against unbelievable pressure, to drive England on to an unforgettable victory.

For cricket lovers, there's nothing like a Test match. And on the international stage, there's nothing quite like the Ashes. Making a cricket game is one thing; creating one that captures the unique emotions of this rivalry is quite another. That's the starting point for Ashes Cricket 2009, the latest cricket game from Codemasters, whose last effort in 2007 featured Brian Lara's mug on the box.

But last time we checked, Lara wasn't a bowler hat-wearing lager lout or a kangaroo-riding Neighbours extra, so his services have been dispensed with, Codies has snapped up the official nPower Ashes licence, and Pietersen and Warne have been called to the promotional crease.

Cricket was invented by shepherds, don'tcha know.
Superstars that they are, both players achieved arguably their greatest feats against each other. Speaking at the Oval the day before pulling out of the current series with a knackered ankle (not my fault, guv), KP tells me of "the hatred the English team faces in Australia"; Warne, meanwhile, recounts with understandable relish the 5-0 humiliation administered to England when they returned to Oz in 06/07. He got his swansong in the end.

We'll be bringing you our exclusive interviews with KP and Warney on the game, the Ashes and each other next week via the magic of Eurogamer TV. But in the meantime, I've been spending some time in the nets with the game.

On PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, Ashes 2009 is developed by Aussie outfit Transmission Games. Superficially, it's clearly familiar if you played the last Lara title. This ain't no wheel reinvention; the differences are in the detail.

Boot up the game and the first thing to do is choose your nationality - out of 12 cricketing nations - which themes game menus accordingly. The game offers up all major forms of cricket - test, one day and 20 overs - but the Ashes is the only fully licensed competition to feature.

They used wicket gates to bowl against.
An extensive training mode, Legends Coaching, is the essential first port of call. Split fairly obviously between batting, bowling and fielding, at basic and advanced levels, Warney and Ian 'Beefy' Botham lend their voices and expertise here not only to talk through the controls but also offer an explanation of different batting and bowling styles, how they work, and when they should be employed.

For batting, Defence, Attack and Loft shots are mapped to X, A and B respectively on 360. You can also elect to play off the front or back foot via LB or LT. Running between wickets is manually triggered with Y and can be queued with multiple presses. A diagram in the bottom corner shows the position of the batsmen while the main camera focuses on the ball.

With bowling, the power meter from Lara has been dumped in favour of a timing bar that determines accuracy - with the margin between hitting the sweet spot and chucking out a no-ball perilously fine.

When a fast bowler is selected, LB and RB switch between the types of delivery (swing, cut or reverse swing, if the ball's old enough), then A bowls it straight while X and B turn it to the relevant side (with LT and RT employed to add extra turn where applicable).

Spinners can select between Spin and Slide, with Leg, Flip, Top and Wrong (the controversial Doosra) mapped to the buttons. You know you're onto a winner when the tutorial instructs you to, and I quote, "Press the WRONG 'UN button". A bowler's ability to pull a 'Gatting ball' out of the hat depends on individual stats. Swing is further affected by the in-game weather conditions.

Once a delivery is selected, an aiming reticule appears (defaulting to ideal line and length), which can be repositioned before you press again to bowl. Timing with the bat is a more mysterious art, and in the absence of any real-time meter, you're advised to watch the ball and press accordingly, directing your shot with the thumbstick.

Another vital factor to consider is confidence. Mental strength in a test match is every bit as crucial as sporting ability at the highest level. To maintain composure and perform over five consecutive days requires immense reserves of self-belief. Not for nothing is it called 'test' cricket.

It's where sledging really came into its own.
This is reflected in the game via a confidence rating for each player, a graded scale comprising Timid, Hesitant, Confident, Bold and Fearless, its position determined essentially by form. A bowler smashed around with contempt will start doubting his technique and lose focus; equally a batsman struggling to score a run is more liable to self-destruct in a moment of ill-judged madness. Confidence can be quickly regained, however, with a spate of wickets or a few imperious boundaries.

That's the premise for the AI; for your own team, although it isn't glaringly apparent during the couple of innings I play, in theory it should be an extra factor in determining accuracy. In the real thing, sledging - slagging off the opposition to unsettle them - became a brutal art form and deadly psychological weapon under the Aussies. It's what former skipper Steve Waugh charmingly refers to as "mental disintegration".

Sadly, Transmission has failed to code in any facility to employ foul abuse. But online play creates the conditions for live sledging; and I have no doubt the internet community will duly oblige. Asked for any tips, KP helpfully suggests I call any Aussie gamers "convicts" and take it from there.

When you're literally playing against an inbred sheep-comforter the possibilities for insult are legion.
A quick word on fielding. A wide range of preset formations are available, with the option to set your own custom fields. Fielding itself is automated in the main, though you can choose which end you throw the ball back to from the outfield. And catching takes the form of a close-up Quick Time Event. I have little love for QTEs, but here it actually works pretty well in creating a snap moment of drama, proving all too easy (in my cack-handed case at least), to mistime and bugger up. Just like Warney in '05.

With the best will in the world, presentation is resolutely 'no frills', a far cry from the polish and attention to detail of an EA Sports spectacular - more PES than FIFA, if you like. And that applies to the hit-or-miss likenesses, too (Flintoff looks like a fuzzy Pac-Man).

In the commentary box, Beefy and Warney are joined by the experienced and loquacious likes of Aggers and Tony Grieg. In the tutorials, with scripted delivery, I've heard livelier eulogies; but in-game once they loosen up a bit and go off on one there's some decent, insightful chatter on offer. And Hawk-Eye is a nice addition for anoraks, popping up at the end of each over with CBeebies-bright diagrams of your bowling/batting genius/shame.

After playing a couple of innings of an Ashes test, batting and bowling depth is certainly intimated, and will probably take time to master. Pacing, like the Lara series, will likely divide opinion. It does require you to think "cricket" rather than "videogame": bowling demands patience and application; batsmen, particularly high up the order, need wearing down.

A loose ball flung down in frustration is easily belted to the boundary. And if you go in trying to slog every ball for six, your team will collapse faster than England's real middle-order. A solid innings, it seems, must be ground out. Which should really be the point.

For Wii owners, the big excitement is in having a dedicated cricket game in the first place. While many, on picking up the Wiimote for the first time, thought "lightsaber!", "Harry Potter wand!", or "terrible third-party mini-game collection!", others dared to dream of virtual leather on plastic willow.

First the bad news. Ashes Cricket 2009 on Wii, developed by Gusto Games in the UK, is not MotionPlus-compatible. For this year at least. The game was already underway before Nintendo's accessory emerged, I'm told, and so the team ruled it out. "It needs to be handled carefully," says producer Jamie Firth. "Just bolting it on would be a waste".

Also, nope, you don't use the Wiimote exactly as you would a cricket bat, as the game adopts the same TV-style viewpoint of the HD version. (Incidentally, the team toyed around with including a first-person mode on the HD platforms, but canned the idea because it believed it would be a lousy gameplay experience).

Instead, it takes a "layered" approach to batting, since Codemasters sees this as the version it wants dads to be able to play with their sons without getting in a confused flap. So swishing the controller at the right moment strikes the ball perfectly well by itself. Direction and shot selection options are then added by using the nunchuk and buttons in combination.

"Your mum does jazz hands for beetroot," was a classic put-down.
On the demo machine at the Oval, KP, true to form - and defying the injury that rules him out of the series the very next day - has already mastered the batting, and shows off by smashing six after six. Shame you couldn't do that in the first two Tests, eh?

But bowling does allow you to go through the full motion should you wish, since you're already looking over the bowler's shoulder. Or for the bone idle, a stiff flick forwards does the trick. Again, there are layers of depth here: rotating the controller in either direction applies spin, for instance. And one lovely touch is shining the ball by rubbing the Wiimote against your leg, which Codemasters says has the palpable benefit of delivering more swing.

Wii is strictly offline, but does boast four-player local multiplayer, which sounds like a good lark, though I haven't tried it. Both versions also include a scenario mode to boost single-player longevity, dumping you in any number of tense situations to slog and hurl your way out of.

Crowds were smaller, obviously. And woolier.
As I write, on day one of the third Test, the series is in that thrillingly clich?d "finely poised" and "too close to call" phase - much to the delight of Codemasters. Whatever happens at Edgbaston - piss it down, I expect - when the game hits next Friday, "everything is still to play for", with the turmoil of Cardiff and Lord's recapturing the excitement of 2005 and thrusting cricket back into the spotlight with last-ditch drama, individual heroics, and the infinite joy of seeing Ricky Ponting play onto his own wicket.

So Ashes Cricket 2009 has our attention as it strolls out to the crease. But can it produce a truly memorable innings? We'll let you know very soon.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just buy the game and if its not to your liking then take it back, simple.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Well the customer is always right.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
IGN's Review.

IGN: Ashes Cricket 2009 Review
Closing Comments

In short doses Ashes is genuinely good fun, but a full on test match will do just that, taking you to the limits of human endurance. The shorter play modes are more suited to pick up and play, and the other national teams are a welcome change to the English and Aussie sides. While the graphics aren’t exactly next generation they don’t really need to be. What’s important here is that the core mechanics are well executed and there’s little doubt that they are. Ironically, the realistic feel robs the game of its excitement. We wouldn’t want to see Bigs style Turbo modes necessarily - that’s just not cricket - but something to crank the pace up just a little would have been great, particularly in single player mode.

This is undeniably an accurate cricket simulation, but whether that’s a curse or a gift is ultimately down to you.

Seems like it's 'too' realistic according to the reviewer which imo is a good thing. A lot of PC are looking for that. But he goes on to say it robs you of excitement (ie. It goes a bit too slowly). Good review imo. Seems like test matches are for the hardcore gamers, while the ODIs and T20s are for people who want to pick up the game and bash the ball around.

Users who are viewing this thread