Mar 24 - Australia v India (Quarter-Final 2)

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
If at all Sehwag misses out, I feel Yusuf should open the innings along with Tendulkar. We need some hard hitting batsman to open along with Tendulkar. Gambhir with Tendulkar will result in a definite slow start.

No, never. Yusuf Pathan has never played good knocks on top of the order. I want him at No. 6 or 7 to finish the job, because we are making a mess in death overs. We want him there only. Gambhir-Sachin combo is nice, one is master at strokes, and one is responsible. But I would wish Sehvag will be fit and fine for this crucial game. :thumbs

1iram1

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Sreesanth didn't play that bad as his figures suggest. IIRC he got a lot of edges that went for fours. So I would definitely pick him for this game.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sreesanth didn't play that bad as his figures suggest. IIRC he got a lot of edges that went for fours. So I would definitely pick him for this game.
He shouldn't be picked. Sreesanth has been out of form for quite some time now and picking him in a knockout match against the defending champions won't really be a wise thing to do.

I'll go with,

1. Sehwag
  2. Tendulkar
  3. Gambhir
  4. Kohli
  5. Yuvraj
  6. Dhoni
  7. Yusuf
  8. Harbhajan
  9. Chawla
  10. Zaheer
  11. Munaf

1iram1

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^ Going with Chawla and Munaf is a bit risky as they can both leak runs. I would've replaced them with Sree and Ashwin.

Plus Sree got some vicious swing in the first match.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
But you know how the Indian media would react if Sreesanth is included and India lose the match.

Regarding Ashwin, he surely is a good bowler but I feel that a leg spinner is more likely to play against Australia. And he also was extremely good against the Aussies in the warmup.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
^ Going with Chawla and Munaf is a bit risky as they can both leak runs. I would've replaced them with Sree and Ashwin.

Yudi doesnt like Ashwin much and is not happy with the hype Ashwin has got.:D

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Yudi doesnt like Ashwin much and is not happy with the hype Ashwin has got.
Lol, why wouldn't I like Ashwin! And did he get any kind of hype.

If you are referring to that Sachin Tendulkar discussion, then I must admit that you are lame, very lame!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I would go

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Gambhir
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Yusuf
Harbhajan
Aswin
Chawla
Zaheer

Might as well have a spinner opening the bowling to slow down the run rate and just continue the spinathon right through the match.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I would go

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Gambhir
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Yusuf
Harbhajan
Aswin
Chawla
Zaheer

Might as well have a spinner opening the bowling to slow down the run rate and just continue the spinathon right through the match.

Ye if IND are smart they will play 3 spinners.

Kabooka

International Cricketer
^ Three spinners could leak a lot of runs if the Aussies go on a rampage. But if the Aussies were to lose quick wickets the spinners would make life hell for them with their miserliness.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
^ Three spinners could leak a lot of runs if the Aussies go on a rampage. But if the Aussies were to lose quick wickets the spinners would make life hell for them with their miserliness.
I'd be more worried about India's pace being the target of a rampage.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think they might be a better chasing side too. With their top order, they can cut a long way into a total early early and then just grind it out. For totals around 300, they normally wouldn't have to worry so much about pressure to score at the end. Then again, if they're chasing 350, they'll probably still have to be able to reach top gear on the final straight.

Yeah India should chase, batting is their strength. But then again Australia like to defend so it would suit them as well. In that case where there is no strategic gain, the choice should be based on conditions.

Top order too slow: Ponting | Cricket World Cup 2011, Live Cricket | Fox Sports

You can see Ponting is on his last legs. First he is telling Haddin he needs to be there till the end now hes back tracking and saying the top order needs to be more aggressive.

Telling Haddin to bat long has been a mistake really. I remember reading (from Tim Neilsen or Justin Langer) that the openers were aiming to bat 20 overs. I think they should be aiming at 10, and then one of them should be going hard during the bowling PP - preferably Haddin at the moment because his middle over run milking stinks. That 10-15 over period is a great time to attack because the opening bowlers are done and it can unsettle the 3rd and 4th bowlers.

Agree. If I were India, I'd play Sreesanth, but only RELY on him for a few overs. If he's getting good movement and is in the zone, of course he could bowl more, but be prepared to cut your losses if he's bad. He could be the wildcard to break Australia open. If he doesn't come off, then make up the other 35 overs or so with spin: Harbhajan, Ashwin, Yuvraj and Yusuf or even Sehwag - shouldn't be too much trouble. Play Ashwin because if Chawla and Sree play together it might be too much risk.

Be interested to see if the selectors stay with Cameron White for the big match. Everyone's talking about Dave Hussey as his replacement, but if he does go, I'd pick Ferguson myself. We don't need Dave's off spinners - he'd be the 7th bowler if he was used, and Michael Clarke is basically as effective, plus he spins the ball the other way to Krejza. If Steve Smith gets dropped, THEN you pick Dave Hussey as your 6th bowler and drop White down to #7.

Users who are viewing this thread