Australia in Bangladesh, April 2011

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I tend to think that the best way to effect change is to move the backups into the front line. If they don't match up to the old players, then you can replace them and have a look at someone else.

Australia didn't really use Ferguson or Hastings and they've included Doherty and Pattinson for Krejza and Tait. You could quite easily make 3-4 significant changes from the last game with this squad.

I would probably have preferred to drop Paine and keep Hussey, because Hussey came in and did his job. It's bad enough that players get picked when they are struggling for runs, they don't need to be dropped when they are at their best. Plus, I don't really have any confidence that Paine can do a better job than Haddin anyway.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Nah I think the selectors have done really well here. You don't make the big panic changes a week after the WC. Sit and have a think about where White, Ponting, Hussey, Lee fit into the ODI side, give them a chance to find form against Ban or retire - then you make the big calls for the next series, moving towards the team that you outlined formula1man.

Their is no reason why they couldn't throw out their usual excuse of x player is being rested, it's not the first and it won't be the last time that is done. Ponting could have been rested as could Hussey.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Their is no reason why they couldn't throw out their usual excuse of x player is being rested, it's not the first and it won't be the last time that is done. Ponting could have been rested as could Hussey.

If the captaincy switch hadn't happened I would have agreed with you - in fact I did earlier in the thread :facepalm But with a new captain it's a great time to:
a) pick a full strength team to show both the public and the other players that the change is for real.
b) see how Ponting (and other senior guys) will work together with Clarke. It's much better to see how the arrangement works in a series like this one, rather than an important Test series in August. That way the bigger strategic planning that's going to be done after this series will be done more intelligently as Clarke/Nielsen/Hilditch will already have some info on how a Clarke led team will function.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Fair point, as long as Ferguson, Smith, Hastings and Pattinson are getting games then we at least have something in the youth department to come out of this.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I wouldn't dropped junaid either, i think he's been trying to add some intent to their line-up. it hasn't paid off but given the chances given to some i think that was unfair.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Nah I think the selectors have done really well here. You don't make the big panic changes a week after the WC. Sit and have a think about where White, Ponting, Hussey, Lee fit into the ODI side, give them a chance to find form against Ban or retire - then you make the big calls for the next series, moving towards the team that you outlined formula1man.

Long term yes, there are changes to be made, but I think changing the captain is a big enough one at this stage. We are still the #1 ranked ODI side after all and were one wicket away from toppling India I reckon - then attitudes might have been different. The only awful game Australia played was against Pakistan. Against SL and India we were OK and against NZ was excellent. Sluggish against the minnows definitely, but you tell the intensity wasn't there.

AFTER this series, that's when I'd tell Mike Hussey to retire from ODIs, tell Ponting he's got another year to play and tell Haddin, Lee, Dave Hussey and probably Ryan Harris too that they've got 2 years left if they keep their form.

Correct.

Sapphire

School Cricketer
This series gives both teams chance to experiment with the squad after their dismal campaign in the world cup................Here is the squad for both teams:

Bangladesh:

Shakib Al Hasan (captain)
Tamim Iqbal (vice-captain)
Mashrafe Mortaza
Imrul Kayes
Shahriar Nafees
Raqibul Hasan
Alok Kapali
Shuvagoto Hom
Mushfiqur Rahim (wicket-keeper)
Mahmudullah
Abdur Razzak
Suhrawadi Shuvo
Rubel Hossain
Shafiul Islam

Australia:
Michael Clarke (captain)
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wicket-keeper)
Ricky Ponting
Cameron White
Mike Hussey
Callum Ferguson
Tim Paine (wicket-keeper)
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson
John Hastings
Brett Lee
Xavier Doherty
James Pattinson

The Bangladesh squad has got a drastic makeover after they dropped Ashraful and Zunayed and brought in the veteran Alok Kapali and youngster Shuvogoto Hom after his recent domestic form. Mashrafee also comes in for Nazmul Hossain after he has recovered from injury, which made him miss the world cup.

The Australia squad saw a drastic change after Ponting stepped down from captaincy. Clarke was given captaincy and Shane Watson is vice-captain.Xavier Doherty comes in for Krejza.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Fair point, as long as Ferguson, Smith, Hastings and Pattinson are getting games then we at least have something in the youth department to come out of this.

Yep, I'd play a full strength team for game #1, then bring in Paine, Pattinson, Ferguson for the next 2 (assuming Hastings takes Tait's spot and Smith takes D.Hussey's). Assuming it's a win of course. Then let the more overworked or older guys have a rest, maybe do some cross-stitching or other handcrafts as they prepare for the retirement home.

If it's not a win, then forget the experimentation and start the Clarke effigy burning..

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Haddin with a good knock before he retired, Ponting also looking in good nick. Just need Watson to hit his straps now.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I saw Haddn retired out on cricinfo, what happened to him :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread