Australia in Bangladesh, April 2011

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
As long as he isn't being picked as a bowler there is nothing wrong with giving White some overs. His bowling is around the Dussey level anyway.

----------

I know I'm flogging a dead horse asking why because we know why; $$$, still though, after such an onslaught of ODI cricket having a couple of tests would have been a lot more welcome.

Yea Test matches would have been more useful, we need to give a few new guys a try in the team atm.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
As long as he isn't being picked as a bowler there is nothing wrong with giving White some overs. His bowling is around the Dussey level anyway..

Certainly not based on anything White has done with the ball in the last 1.5 years. Dussey>>>>>>>>>>>>>White as a part-time spinner these days.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Clarke wants White as all-rounder | Cricket | Fox Sports

Already starting to see Clarke's influence on the team. Probably will see Johnson float up the order more as well.

Really surprised Australia didn't do that in the WC. Mitch played so well for that 50 in Sydney last summer when he batted at #4, rotated the strike really well and spooked a few of the Pommie bowlers. Looking it up, he only hit 3 boundaries (1 x 4, 2 x 6) in that innings, but it worked really well to psyche England out.

As for using him in the WC - particularly the quarterfinal in fact. I was kinda expecting it when Ponting had said before the game that Australia "might have a few surprises up our sleeve" to counter India's spin attack. I interpreted that as a Mitch Johnson promotion, and when Haddin got out at 2/100ish in the 23rd or 24th over I thought it was a perfect chance to send Mitch up and disrupt the spinners. Made the whole Sydney experiment seem a bit pointless, but anyway...

I was just looking at the original tour plan on the FTP calendar. This was supposed to be 2 tests and 3 ODIs, no one can blame them for shortening it after the world cup went on for 17 years but it's kinda frustrating to see that the tests were dropped.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse asking why because we know why; $$$, still though, after such an onslaught of ODI cricket having a couple of tests would have been a lot more welcome.

I imagine if the IPL was not on then Australia would have had no problem finding the energy to schedule those 2 Tests. So yes, $$$ all the way to the bank. :(

Would say off the bat that is a useless idea by Pup. But lets see anyway..

Probably won't work long term I agree, but I like the thought process behind it. It might get White thinking more confidently about his game again. Worth a try I say.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Certainly not based on anything White has done with the ball in the last 1.5 years. Dussey>>>>>>>>>>>>>White as a part-time spinner these days.

Meh both are part time bowlers, if it gives Clarke another option then good on him assuming White keeps his spot in the side.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
To me Ponting giving up the captaincy can only do his batting good. He can focus solely on that instead of having to worry about anything else. A weight off his shoulders almost.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Flying start here, wish we had done more of this in the WC against the lesser teams.

To me Ponting giving up the captaincy can only do his batting good. He can focus solely on that instead of having to worry about anything else. A weight off his shoulders almost.

Agree, can't wait to see how he goes in the Test arena as that would be the main format he is interested in.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Business has resumed again. Over to White to hit some form or the calls for him to be dropped will be even louder.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It doesn't make sense to send White out there. Hussey is a left-hander, in good form and rotates the strike well.

I see White as more of a finisher really, he doesn't rotate the strike well enough in the middle of the innings.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Deadset this is becoming sad and a joke. White is batting even slower than Clarke was in his prime of slowness.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
HWM-DeathThreat.jpg

With reference to Cameron Leon White .

Users who are viewing this thread