Australia tour of South Africa 2018

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
So interesting that you see the difference of 20 test matches between Josh and Bhuvi but do not see the differnce of 45 ODIs between them.
Also you would be very foolish to think any premier and main fast bowler would be any good if they played 80 matches with an average of basically 40. Maybe for a batting allrounder , it would be a different story but he is an opening bowler. No way he should be averaging 40. If you're a "top" fast bowler and have played 80 matches, the maximum averaging your bowling should be at is 31-32. 100%,when Hazlewood plays 80 Odis like your friend bhuvi his average will not be that high.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Here's an unpopular opinion - Did he have any other choice? I mean if he had appealed, then people would have said he has no remoarse - just shed a few tears for sympathy and now he is back at it again. What I am getting at is that probably it isn't a big deal. He is only doing what's left to do - simply owning up to his mistakes which defintely seems like the right thing to do - though I agree it isn't an easy thing to do.
After Australia as a cricketing nation was shamed, to me it seemed a bit forced. It might appear like he doesn't accept the fact that cheating deserves such awful consequences, if he had appealed. Their whole image was shattered and so serious that even the PM of Aus acknowledged this. As the leader of the team during that incident, it only makes sense to not challenge it and take it for the team. Leaders are basically at the front line and have to take whatever is in front of their face, and take it for the team.

I agree some people would've been absolutely astonished if he'd appeal. A guy like him after what he's done has to cop some of this criticism and outrage and and admit to it to earn the respect of fans and others. After all, he was the leader of the team, he had power over such decisions. He failed to stop this ball tampering plan even if he had the utmost power in that dressing room besides the other staff.

Admitting to mistakes is obviously never easy to do. Just imagine how shameful and guilty you'd feel while talking about it. Not to mention the criticism from the press/media.

Personally, I feel genuinely sorry for Smithy but he deserved it. Deliberate cheating deserves such consequences even if it was a tad harsh. This apology is just another tiny step forward in redeeming himself to fans and CA. Never a fan of him as a person but respect what he said yesterday.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
OK well now Warner has accepted the sanction and will not appeal. Very important that he did so, although he waited until 1 hour before the deadline, but still he's not going to fight it.

He would have been absolutely loathed by the Australian public if he did appeal. No point making yourself even more unpopular after you've already cheated.

Users who are viewing this thread