Blocker's Ashes Thread

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
What batting difficulty are you playing on?

Also in DBC17 people always used to say it was easier to pull/hook with left-handers. So could be something about the right-arm bowlers coming around the wicket in your video

Legend hard. It's right arm around, left arm over and 2 right arm over.

chaman82

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
For those saying you can't pull outside off... these may not count but I think they do??? What am I missing?

@T.J.Hooker @chaman82
Wow that Looks good.
How did u do that?
Batsman nicely position himself in the line of the ball and pull it ..
Which level is this. What's the foot work.
By any chance have to reduce the pace rotation and swing.?

I'm happy excited and curious to know.
Plz tell.

AnkitC

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
For those saying you can't pull outside off... these may not count but I think they do??? What am I missing?

@T.J.Hooker @chaman82

I can confirm I have been able to reproduce the same shot at Veteran Difficulty Batting Hard. I should have a video clip but I don’t think i really need to upload it since the setup is similar.

So even I don’t understand why others aren’t being able to play.

Although it’s obvious, I must add the I pushed the LAS to bottom right to get in line with the ball. And not just LAS bottom.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Wow that Looks good.
How did u do that?
Batsman nicely position himself in the line of the ball and pull it ..
Which level is this. What's the foot work.
By any chance have to reduce the pace rotation and swing.?

I'm happy excited and curious to know.
Plz tell.

its hard batting, legend Ai. Everything default.

in terms of foot placement, well to be quite honest I don't know I do it on instinct. I assume back and across... I know @grkrama says the key is feet at 4 o'clock and I guess that's what I am doing

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors

@T.J.Hooker @chaman82

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of line I haven't been able to get away.

One thing I notice is that they all look above shoulder height to me. If only above shoulder height deliveries are hittable that would explain why I can't get them in practice, because the bowling machine is set low and doesn't get as much bounce.

chaman82

County Cricketer
its hard batting, legend Ai. Everything default.

in terms of foot placement, well to be quite honest I don't know I do it on instinct. I assume back and across... I know @grkrama says the key is feet at 4 o'clock and I guess that's what I am doing

I've tried the 4 o'clock thing but can't get it.

I noticed in ur video that swing and cutters movement is less.

Can u plz try this in nets and set a marker and post a video.

D

Deleted member 185125

I can confirm I have been able to reproduce the same shot at Veteran Difficulty Batting Hard. I should have a video clip but I don’t think i really need to upload it since the setup is similar.

So even I don’t understand why others aren’t being able to play.

Although it’s obvious, I must add the I pushed the LAS to bottom right to get in line with the ball. And not just LAS bottom.
I will give it a try later on today. Thanks

chaman82

County Cricketer
Yeah, that's exactly the sort of line I haven't been able to get away.

One thing I notice is that they all look above shoulder height to me. If only above shoulder height deliveries are hittable that would explain why I can't get them in practice, because the bowling machine is set low and doesn't get as much bounce.
I think height can be the issue here. Have to check that again.
Below shoulder balls doesn't connect

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've tried the 4 o'clock thing but can't get it.

I noticed in ur video that swing and cutters movement is less.

Can u plz try this in nets and set a marker and post a video.

I'l give it a go. As i say I play on everything default so swing and cut etc. is purely down to conditions...

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just took a lovely test match wicket, you would have loved it @blockerdave, back of a length from Starc shaping away slightly from Woakes who tried to play a forward defensive, takes the edge and is caught by a diving gully

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I think height can be the issue here. Have to check that again.
Below shoulder balls doesn't connect

If that's true then it's a bit backwards, if I'm going to be nerdy about it. It's when the ball gets throat high and above on the offside that the pull/hook should start to get really difficult, bringing the top edge to third man into play.

Chest high just outside off stump is a long hop on an easy paced wicket. Throat or head high is a much better ball.

Actually if I'm being a nerd about it then all Blocker's video shots are hook shots, or at least right on the pull shot / hook shot borderline.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Just took a lovely test match wicket, you would have loved it @blockerdave, back of a length from Starc shaping away slightly from Woakes who tried to play a forward defensive, takes the edge and is caught by a diving gully

Would love to see video mate if you've got it. That' the sort of dismissal that gets me drooling :)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
If that's true then it's a bit backwards, if I'm going to be nerdy about it. It's when the ball gets throat high and above on the offside that the pull/hook should start to get really difficult, bringing the top edge to third man into play.

Chest high just outside off stump is a long hop on an easy paced wicket. Throat or head high is a much better ball.

Actually if I'm being a nerd about it then all Blocker's video shots are hook shots, or at least right on the pull shot / hook shot borderline.

I'l try this on the practice ground.

Being honest, and realising that as you say it' exactly the wrong way to do it, but seeing the ball go up is actually my trigger to play the shot... chest high outside off I will generally cut - a shot i'm yet to nail in ashes cricket!

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Just thinking about it, I reckon if high offside pulls and hooks produced top edges to third man it would be pretty cool from a bowling tactics POV.

I mean, if you get a quick bouncy track you want to be saying "This is my big chance to bounce a few guys out - get the ball throat / head high just outside off stick and maybe get some top edges."

I don't really want to be saying "Better be careful to keep the ball full on this quick bouncy track or I'll get hooked to death. I'll save my bouncers for a slow low flattie."

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Would love to see video mate if you've got it. That' the sort of dismissal that gets me drooling :)
I do but it won't let me upload it, does it have to be a YouTube vid?

Users who are viewing this thread