Blocker's Ashes Thread

chaman82

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Just thinking about it, I reckon if high offside pulls and hooks produced top edges to third man it would be pretty cool from a bowling tactics POV.

I mean, if you get a quick bouncy track you want to be saying "This is my big chance to bounce a few guys out - get the ball throat / head high just outside off stick and maybe get some top edges."

I don't really want to be saying "Better be careful to keep the ball full on this quick bouncy track or I'll get hooked to death. I'll save my bouncers for a slow low flattie."
Now we're talking.

It's actually a risky shot to play. With big rewards and big risk.
Some even go for a six in small grounds.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
It is actually technically possible to hook very high offside deliveries through square leg, although almost nobody can do it.

In the delivery at 2.45 here, Kapil Dev is bowling on a flat Oval track and absolutely smashes the ball in short to get it way high and offside.

Botham just kind of flicks his wrists and the ball disappears through square for four. Can't remember ever seeing anyone else play that shot. The angle just looks impossible.

D

Deleted member 185125

I've tried the 4 o'clock thing but can't get it.

I noticed in ur video that swing and cutters movement is less.

Can u plz try this in nets and set a marker and post a video.
Are you standard or classic controls?

chaman82

County Cricketer
Just had a go in nets and in a test game
Observations videos

I think it's getting very clear not that low height short balls doesn't connect .

And now I realised I never played above shoulder height balls (on 5th to 6th stump) for a hook or a pull as in pro cam it clearly feels that the ball is 2 risky to play. I mostly played a leave on that ball or a risky cut.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
from playing in ground practice i would say the chest height balls can be pulled off the front foot on off-stump to 4th/5th stump. back foot pulls the animation goes over the ball.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
4th Test - Day 1 morning session

The boxing day test starts. The pitch looks poor, as if it could crumble late on. But there is rain forecast for days 3, 4 and 5 so who knows if the weather will take the pitch out of the equation.

England spring a shock - Mark Stoneman being dropped after 3 poor tests isn't a surprise, but the decision for Joe Root to move up to open certainly is! Bairstow - also having a poor series, moves up to 4, and down the order everyone moves up a place with leg-spinner Mason Crane coming in for his debut.

Australia drop Usman Khawaja with Steve Smith going up to 3, and Shaun Marsh coming in.

Smith wins the toss and bats first. Root's assertion that he'd have bowled first raises some eyebrows, and looks downright barmy when Warner and Renshaw get off to a solid start. But after Anderson finds Warner's outside edge for a regulation catch to keeper Bairstow, all hell breaks loose...

Rhone

International Cricketer
4th Test - Day 1 morning session

The boxing day test starts. The pitch looks poor, as if it could crumble late on. But there is rain forecast for days 3, 4 and 5 so who knows if the weather will take the pitch out of the equation.

England spring a shock - Mark Stoneman being dropped after 3 poor tests isn't a surprise, but the decision for Joe Root to move up to open certainly is! Bairstow - also having a poor series, moves up to 4, and down the order everyone moves up a place with leg-spinner Mason Crane coming in for his debut.

Australia drop Usman Khawaja with Steve Smith going up to 3, and Shaun Marsh coming in.

Smith wins the toss and bats first. Root's assertion that he'd have bowled first raises some eyebrows, and looks downright barmy when Warner and Renshaw get off to a solid start. But after Anderson finds Warner's outside edge for a regulation catch to keeper Bairstow, all hell breaks loose...

You really enjoyed that Warner wicket didn't you haha.

AnkitC

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Here’s the video I was talking about. As it turns out, apparently I was on the front foot or maybe back foot. Not sure. Also it seems ball wasn’t exactly above shoulder height.

Judge it yourself guys.

D

Deleted member 185125

Here’s the video I was talking about. As it turns out, apparently I was on the front foot or maybe back foot. Not sure. Also it seems ball wasn’t exactly above shoulder height.

Judge it yourself guys.
Classic or standard controls?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Great afternoon session: fightback from the Aussies and some really good wickets to wrap up the innings...

vid and report tomorrow.

chaman82

County Cricketer

Judge it yourself guys.

The problem is, when a player see red ball marker, instant reaction is to go on backfoot and play the shot.
In this case below shoulder height short balls which are on 5th to 6th stump, can only b played on front foot.

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@blockerdave just wondering if you find it easier to bat with certain players, or if they just feel better. For me, Usman Khawaja is great, scores 50+ every innings, however I find it difficult with Steve Smith

Users who are viewing this thread