Review Demo impressions thread

Gurjot95

National Board President
You haven't been reading this thread have you?
You are right. I haven't check whole thread but I still needs to get my hands on PC demo to make any decision. People should realize that this is only try to make best cricket game so as developer said to make PES 6 we need to make PES 1st;)

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Having played demo to death I think we are going to have a good cricket game at last.

Have noticed that the weather and conditions do affect bounce and swing.

We have been told there is more camera angles and bowlers speeds are fixed.
I hope the ps3 version is a touch brighter to see the ball in the field.

The loopy bounce has gone , would like to see 90 mph coming through a bit quicker , but that might happen on dryer wickets .

There is a lot to be positive about ac9 and lets remember this is just a early demo of 3 overs game , I am sure there is lot more in the full game for us all to see.

People must have different visual settings for their TV's, most do (I've got Game, Sports, Cinema, etc). The HD video I saw on youtube (posted in here earlier) looked as clear as day at seeing the ball.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
P

pcfan123

is it just me or does it look like the fast bowlers are bowling off spin in the close up replays.

The broad video was good, except that Ponting would never get into such an awkward position to have the ball go through his legs a hit leg stump.

UCC-WMH

Club Cricketer
Agreed, looked like he got bowled cos he was wasn't paying attention and just played anywhere.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
is it just me or does it look like the fast bowlers are bowling off spin in the close up replays.

The broad video was good, except that Ponting would never get into such an awkward position to have the ball go through his legs a hit leg stump.

The game is hardly going to recognise that its Ponting. And you're wrong there, Ponting can get tied up badly like that, nothing is impossible.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
One thing I really hate.

Playing against my brother, bowling as Swann, chucked wide of off stump, he flayed at it...nicks it goes to first slip but the moment is ruined by stupid camera changing and the whole slow-mo catch rubbish.

The wicket would have looked so much better and felt more satisfying if it stayed in the normal camera position and either gets caught manually by the computer or a button comes up but the camera stays the same. Really ruins the moment.

P

pcfan123

^ most people like the catching system, but to be fair, they should allow an option for automatic fielding.

graham

Club Captain
People must have different visual settings for their TV's, most do (I've got Game, Sports, Cinema, etc). The HD video I saw on youtube (posted in here earlier) looked as clear as day at seeing the ball.

i got samsung flat screen etc tv but the 360 looks crap on it ,when i get ps3 version on the sony 40 inches 1080 down stairs then i might see the ball lol
sorry poor recording on iphone will put bowling up next
graham added 9 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

YouTube - Ashes cricket 09 demo
heres the bowling not as good as batting vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDP2SgDk24M

Last edited:

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Ok, so my 360 just RROD on me, now I'm not playing the demo I thought it would be a good opportunity to give my opinion on it for what it's worth.

I must have played around 60 games on it, hard mode and am really enjoying both batting and bowling. Particularly bowling.

AI batting/pacing

With regard to the CPU pacing of their innings I have found that if you bowl a consistent line and length (and have the bowling marker in the yellow, whilst also stopping the bowling meter as near to perfect as possible) the AI batsmen will almost always defend or leave. Only when experimenting with different line and lengths and stopping the bowling meter early did I find the AI batsmen started spanking me all over the pitch.
I do not think that the CPU are aware it is a 3 over match at all. By following my original way of bowling, above, I can regulaly keep them to around 10 runs or less in their 3 overs, whether they are batting first or second.
This is why I don't think they are aware it's a 3 over match as, even when chasing a total, they do not become overly aggressive as long as you bowl consistently well.
If this is how the AI plays in test matches then it is very, very encouraging.

One slight concern is the suicidal run outs which have been happening I would say, on average, once every four or five playthroughs. Don't know how to explain this as I am sure they are not aware of the 3 over limit, so why take such unnecessary risks??

AI Bowling

I have not noticed that the AI pitches too full all the time. I have had many an over bowled at me with varying lines and lengths. Sometimes, yes, a bowler will pitch it up for the whole over, but when starting the demo again that same bowler will then use a completely different line and length, sometimes varying between deliveries, sometimes not. Overall I am quite happy with the AI bowling.

User Batting

My main gripe about batting is purely animation based, not gameplay. I just don't like the way the batsmen react to shots. For example, when playing a front foot defensive, the animation itself is good, but after the ball is fended off the batsman quickly gets up and grounds his bat, holding this pose as if in a catatonic trance. It unfortunately breaks the immersion factor of the game. What would have been nice is if the batsman holds his defensive pose, looks at his stance and then slowly gets back up and prepares for the next ball. There needs to be more transitional animations between playing a shot and preparing for the next shot. At the moment it's all too regimented and robotic.

Apart from this admittedly non game breaking gripe I quite enjoy the batting. I like that selecting your own foot to play off narrows the batting aim marker allowing for more precise finding of the gaps. The edges are excellently implemented in my opinion, allowing for top, bottom, thin and thick, inside and outside edges if mistimed.

One thing that is welcome is that the dreaded lowering of batsmen confidence when leaving a ball is now retired to history. Rejoice.

Fielding

Not much to say about this as it is all automatic unless you want to tell a fielder to throw the ball back at a specific end. The running animations of the fielders is horrid with no sense of urgency and the throwing of the ball looks akward when returning from distance but it's not a gameplay issue so I can live with that.

Loving the overthrows and misfields as well as the backing up. The fact that sometimes the fielders score direct hits, even from boundary throws gives a nice element of tension if you are desperately trying to score an extra, tight run. You never quite know if you're going to make it until the ball makes it's appearance at the crease. Running the bat in/diving is an excellent, if not overdue, addition.

The catching system is superb. I love it. I don't find it too hard and it allows for some real is it/isn't it tension. Once I realised you need to look at the ball and wait for it to go green before hitting A I can now catch 80 percent of all chances, for dolly's I can get all of them.

No more automatic whipping off of the bails by the 'keeper or bowler throwing ball at the stumps on pickup. Rejoice again.

Overall

B- very impressed. If I can be sure that the retail copy will fix the idiotic run outs and have intelligent AI to both pace an innings and also adjust their fields and bowling strategies to the situation at hand then this score will be a guaranteed A and a must buy.

Well done Transmission.

Last edited:

nimish_sach

Club Cricketer

If u are talking about fast bowler bowling spin in the video where Ponting got bold then you are correct but also is the system as the guy bowled ponting out on a cutter!

P

pcfan123

yea but it is the same animation for every delivery. Whether fast or swing or seam, the release always looks like offspin.

Minor graphics related flaw, but takes away from the realism.

Users who are viewing this thread