Developer's Blog

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Online Cricket Games Owned
cricketer112 said:
does anyone know how LM is capturing animation? - i would have thought this would be hard (especially bowling) and i have no idea how its done :p - also how can EA get such bad ones with the budget and status they have? the old cricket project animations of the first video are better than any EA animation - EA's are so jerky and bulky and ugly needless to say i havent bothered getting cricket07

:cheers

Animation is done painstakingly by hand :crying

Big companies use motion capture for animation which makes it easier and should be more fluid too...but the tradeoff is that mocap costs a fair wad of cash. Being a low-budget project, i have to do animations by hand. Doing it by hand is similar to posing those plastacine models like in Wallace and Grommit and the like then capturing that frame, then reposing the model for the next frame etc. so it is super time-consuming...and painful....

but it's something that has to be done, and so far i'm delighted with the results.

Speaking of, the batting animations will be completed today and hence ALL animations will be completed today! I will re-announce when they are all completed.

LM

rickyp

International Coach
brilliant!!!

sounds like its great fun for you..... sadly I'm going....... somewhere..... so I can't help you.......

*runs*

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
legend_master said:
Animation is done painstakingly by hand :crying

Big companies use motion capture for animation which makes it easier and should be more fluid too...but the tradeoff is that mocap costs a fair wad of cash. Being a low-budget project, i have to do animations by hand. Doing it by hand is similar to posing those plastacine models like in Wallace and Grommit and the like then capturing that frame, then reposing the model for the next frame etc. so it is super time-consuming...and painful....

but it's something that has to be done, and so far i'm delighted with the results.

Speaking of, the batting animations will be completed today and hence ALL animations will be completed today! I will re-announce when they are all completed.

LM
The thing is unlike EA you actually have to look at the animations, EA just get the motion capture stuff and use it without looking at the obvious flaws in the animations. Attention to detail is forced in this case, and the game will be much better for it.

Sheehani

School Cricketer
everything looks great guys keep it up, cant wait to try it out after watching tonights 20/20 action

cricketer112

Club Cricketer
Yeah i was actually thinking that.......really looking forward to playing a 20/20 game on this, what with the online play feature im sure 20/20 tournaments and leagues wouldnt be far off with a community as enthusiastic as ours.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
would have taking pictures of someone (maybe you) in differents stages of their batting shots or bowling actions helped or given you more of a clue about making animations

legend_master

Will_NA said:
would have taking pictures of someone (maybe you) in differents stages of their batting shots or bowling actions helped or given you more of a clue about making animations

yes, i used several sources to help, such as video and pictures

legend_master

ziad123_2005 said:
Hey LM how are you ... do u still remember me ?

Hey, long time no see...how you doin? Good to see you back around...

UPDATE

well, getting some unexpected grief with animations etc so is taking longer than expected...anyhoo, im working through it as quick as i can and hopefully shouldn't be too far away from some more screens and vid...things are looking pretty darn good though at this stage.

legend_master

holmie said:
can we expect something by this friday or so?

it's not out of the question...just been fixing some crappy bugs that popped up...damn annoying...

anyhoo, fielders now crouch in preparation for the bowler as he runs in, all field positioning stuff is all fixed, default cameras etc fixed, bowling physics tweaked and fixed so swing now works really well ;)

I'm finally now onto fixing the batsman animation integration - should take 2 days to fix i imagine, then i should hopefully be ready for a video...the video will show off the new stuff that's been added....but dont expect so many amazing things just yet, such as fielders chasing balls etc. - that is still some time away...most of the changes till now have been critical behind the scenes stuff. Having said that, there have been some nice visual changes and stuff that will be recognisable.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
legend_master said:
it's not out of the question...just been fixing some crappy bugs that popped up...damn annoying...

!!!DID YOU HEAR THAT, EA??!!, he's fixing the bugs before release

kudos
:cheers

Users who are viewing this thread