Developer's Blog

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just a quick update...been pretty busy...ironed out lots of bugs wow, thank goodness for that...also done the following

- all bowling HUD related stuff is now done, including bowling powerbar, batting reading the ball indicator arrows

- bowling 'chaos theory' completed, so bowling random algorithm now kicks in and is effected by the powerbar result

- Custom field editor nearly completed - can move fielders around by picking them up with the mouse and dropping them anywhere, with field restrictions in place where applicable (e.g. if the game state is during a field restricted period then you will only be allowed to have 2 fielders outside the inner circle) - i want to release a little video to demonstrate this soon as it's pretty darn cool if i do say so myself ;)

* next after the field editor is complete i will finally be onto the keeper / fielder AI which is what we have all been waiting for.

cheers,

LM

Hero

Club Captain
It is very nice to hear that slowly but steadily you are creeping towards goal.cool update.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
legend_master said:
- Custom field editor nearly completed - can move fielders around by picking them up with the mouse and dropping them anywhere, with field restrictions in place where applicable (e.g. if the game state is during a field restricted period then you will only be allowed to have 2 fielders outside the inner circle)

Does this mean that I can place a fielder anywhere on the field, and not just in set fielding positions?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
skateboarder said:
Does this mean that I can place a fielder anywhere on the field, and not just in set fielding positions?
Sounds like it, the only other possibility is if it snaps to the nearest conventional fielding spot to where you place the fielder.

Great to hear that there is steady progress being made :clap

legend_master

whitehornmatt said:
Sounds like it, the only other possibility is if it snaps to the nearest conventional fielding spot to where you place the fielder.

Great to hear that there is steady progress being made :clap

let me clalify... ;)

there are 2 options for field settings:

i) use a preset field (i plan to include heaps of these and you can make your own ones too - an unlimited amount) - these presets are set positions and are read from text files - they are simply a list of positions e.g.

Keeper
Bowler
1stSlip
2ndSlip
DeepCover
Point
Gully
MidOn
MidOff
ThirdMan
SillyMidOn

- depending on whether the game state is in a period of fielding restrictions when you choose one of these fields then the only options available to choose out of the preset fields will be restricted ones (i.e. only 2 fielders outside the circle)

ii) edit any preset field within the custom field editor by dragging any 3d fielder from a bird's eye view around the field and dropping him ANYWHERE, it does not snap in or auto place the fielder anywhere. If you try to put him outside the allowed field area it wont allow you, likewise if you try to put more than 2 fielders outside the circle during a restricted period. You can also switch to a 3d view at any time and zoom around with a totally free cam. Moving fielders must be done in the bird's eye mode tho.

hope that clears thing up a bit ;)

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Now thats really cool LM :) Though i am sure we wont need to, if needed txt files are the easiest to edit.

Any chance you can let out what file structures are graphics ( bats, kits ) etc. stored in ?

legend_master

Kshitiz_Indian said:
Now thats really cool LM :) Though i am sure we wont need to, if needed txt files are the easiest to edit.

Any chance you can let out what file structures are graphics ( bats, kits ) etc. stored in ?

Well, you would use the custom method for example to slightly adjust things...say you wanted a first slip to be slightly further back than the default position then you can do that...also to adjust the keeper position e.g. bring him up to the stumps for pacers.

not sure what you mean about file structures but the file format of all graphics is .png

all data can be edited directly from text files or using the (as yet unmade) front end.

i wont reveal any more until later...

cheers,

LM

Ricco_M

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Keep up the good work legend master - sounds great so far :) Some very refreshing ideas and it looking at all the planned features it could be the complete cricket game package.

I say AoC could be the last opportunity for a great cricket game, for cricket fans for a while, as the BLIC07 demo is out tommorrow and at the moment it doesn't look very promising (hope I'm wrong)... I would expect a lot more interest in your game in the next few weeks because of this though!!

Anyway, All the best

legend_master

Kshitiz_Indian said:
So you mean that all graphics are unpacked and in png ?

Isnt Png a little bit low on quality for images like this ? How about Bmp or Jpg ?

.png was the format of choice (over jpg or BMP) for the following reasons:

- png contains alpha channel for transparency - essential. BMP also contains alpha but is much larger (file size - means more disk space used) and the higher quality means higher rendering required by gpu - means potential performance impact for lower end rigs
- imho jpg quality is less than png

yes they are all unpacked.

Ricco_M said:
Keep up the good work legend master - sounds great so far :) Some very refreshing ideas and it looking at all the planned features it could be the complete cricket game package.

I say AoC could be the last opportunity for a great cricket game, for cricket fans for a while, as the BLIC07 demo is out tommorrow and at the moment it doesn't look very promising (hope I'm wrong)... I would expect a lot more interest in your game in the next few weeks because of this though!!

Anyway, All the best

Thanks ;)

should BLIC07 not live up to expectations then yes, i think TAOC will definately get more attention. Should BLIC07 actually be great (i too have my doubts - but hope im proven wrong) then we have a competitor ;) I think we can safely say EA is no competition :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread