England in New Zealand

JamesyJames3

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I expect England to win this test series reasonably comfortably. Conditions as close to you get in England (in terms of pitches) should suit us. Expect Sidebottom and Hoggard to work well in tandem.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
I have waited for this thread, for long.

Go Black Caps.

Perm

School Cricketer
Wanted to attend the warmup games against Otago, but my course starts a couple of weeks beforehand.

England should demolish us in the Tests, with KP scoring a bucketload of runs.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Both seem unlikely despite what most of our arrogant fans choose to believe.

I would go for:
Cook
Strauss
Vaughan (C)
Pietersen
Colly
Bell
Prior (WK)
Broad
Hoggard
Sidebum/Jimmy
Panesar

Taking along Swann, Fred (? unlikely but if possible)/Bopara,Shah, Harmy.

Bowling:
I would go for Sidebum over Jimmy onl because the conditions wil be much more suited to him thn they were in sri Lanka and Jimmy does average 40, he doesn't become brilliant after one series of 35 against the Indians either. Broad I am biased but he's our one bowler with real genuine talent capable of playing for 10+ years in this side and I really do beleive he can go onto great things. Monty has to play. No Harmy because he just hasn't done it for ages.

Batting:
Strauss just because these conditions are ones where he can actually regain his form and we need someone with a bit of class. Shah should have played in Sri Lanka though. I would ask Tres as well, it's unlikely but he's our best batsmen so we have to every single time.

We should have a new fielding coach by then which will hopefully see us improve and Priors got too improve his keeping because its losing us matches at the end of the day and if he continues to do so no matter how much Moores loves him he doesn't deserve to play.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Cook.
Vaughan.
Bell.
Pietersen.
Collingwood.
Shah.
Prior/Ambrose or Davies, if as I hope to god they take someone other than Mustard along.
Broad.
Sidearse.
Hoggard.
Monty.

Swann probably won't go, because there isn't any need for a second spinner in New Zealand. Shah deserves his chance and I think Strauss has to prove himself rather than be allowed back in on the back of other players failures.

Take along Andersen, Harmy, Strauss and possibly a couple from the performance squad.

dullah

Club Cricketer
Strauss will be better in New Zealand conditions as they are similar to English conditions.

irottev

School Cricketer
Plus Strauss is playing Domestic cricket over here. One day however. Still, he'll be used to the conditions better then anyone else.

I think Sidebottom and Hoggard are musts, since seam/swing bowlers tend to get a lot of wickets here.

Sureshot

Executive member
We should have a new fielding coach by then which will hopefully see us improve and Priors got too improve his keeping because its losing us matches at the end of the day and if he continues to do so no matter how much Moores loves him he doesn't deserve to play.

His keeping has been used as an excuse in this recent series far too often, he's been the media's scapegoat.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Yes, but he still dropped 3 catches at vital times. I'd have no problem if he was Keeping poorly but took the chances that came. It's just the other way round. He's keeping well, but not holding onto chances.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Well it's not acceptable and he will have to up his game, in the first 2 he was very good but we can't afford him to have a shocker every few games, we need some consistency. He will get the time he deserves under Moores anyway.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
His keeping has been used as an excuse in this recent series far too often, he's been the media's scapegoat.

I feel that there is no consolidation for keepers dropping catches. I see it as the top 5-6 can score the runs that keepers can but they can't put on wicketkeeper gloves and take catches. I feel keepers should set themselves to take 90-95% of their chances and average 30 plus with the bat. Prior probably takes 70% despite his efforts with the bat.

I feel the likes of Foster, Ambrose or Davies will be able to do that and be able to average 30 plus in test cricket like the wicketkeeper should and be given the chance.

Mustard has showen he still has much to learn and is not yet a test match cricketer. He's very tidy with the gloves but he has not learn how to be a an attacking opening batsmen. I know the conditions in Sri Lanka didn't help his style of strokeplay but he needs to learn to set himself to attack instead of going from ball one.

My gut instinct tell me to go for Davies, not because I support Worcestershire ;) but because he is a very good player and a comes across as a good keeper and looking at how he's played for Worcester over the past 2-3 seasons (who are not the best county) he looks like an international player so I would go for him but anyone could be given the nod.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Strauss for me needs to score plenty in his run in NZ domestic cricket to get a place in the team. But he's a good player and NZ cricket is quite a low standard so I'd expect that to happen. So my team would be:

Cook
Strauss
Vaughan
Collingwood
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Harmison
Sidebottom
Hoggard
Panesar

With Key, Shah, a wicket keeper, Anderson and Broad as the rest of the squad for the Test series this is.

irottev

School Cricketer
But he's a good player and NZ cricket is quite a low standard.

What do you expect? It's not as good as the Aussie domestic, but it's still pretty good if you ask me. I remeber Styris saying last season, County cricket is a step down. Trust me, Strauss will be againt some pretty decent bowlers in bowler friendl conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread