England in New Zealand

dikon

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
What do you expect? It's not as good as the Aussie domestic, but it's still pretty good if you ask me. I remeber Styris saying last season, County cricket is a step down. Trust me, Strauss will be againt some pretty decent bowlers in bowler friendl conditions.
If it's a step down why didn't he score runs for Durham?

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I think will really have to do some to get back into the team. I like the opening combination of Cook and Vaughan since its a left hand, right hand combination, there is a young player and an experienced player so I like this new pair and also Vaughan to me looks more comfortable opening than batting at number 3.

gary0808

Club Cricketer
The one thing we must do is not drop world class players like we did with Strauss for Sri Lanka.

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan (C)
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior/Mustard (WK)
Broad/Tremlett
Hoggard
Harmison/Sidebottom
Panesar

I couldn't care less about the keeper situation. Lets be honest Prior hasn't been very good behind the stumps but we should give him a prolonged run but I wouldn't mind if Mustard was picked either. I chose Broad because he has pace bounce and is a real prosepect with the bat as well. Tremlett really impressed me this summer and why was he not picked in Sri Lanka? Also do we stick with the over rated sidebottom or the potential match winner Harmison. I'm slowly losing my patience with Harmy.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
What do you expect? It's not as good as the Aussie domestic, but it's still pretty good if you ask me.

Definately. It makes Pakistani, Indian and Sri Lankan domestic systems look like crap.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Will Bond be fit in time for this tour ? Where has James Franklyn disappeared ?
I expect Hoggard/Sidey to rip through the NZ batting which is really looking sub-standard at the moment.
Monty should be quite a handful as well.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Will Bond be fit in time for this tour ? Where has James Franklyn disappeared ?
I expect Hoggard/Sidey to rip through the NZ batting which is really looking sub-standard at the moment.
Monty should be quite a handful as well.

NZ seem to mainly be struggling against raw pace bowling, which England do not have.

irottev

School Cricketer
I think Bond will be right unless he picks up a new injury. Franklin I havn't heard a lot about recently. e might be fit.

Styri was playing for Middlesex when he made the comment. Not Durham.

Sureshot

Executive member
The one thing we must do is not drop world class players like we did with Strauss for Sri Lanka.

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan (C)
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior/Mustard (WK)
Broad/Tremlett
Hoggard
Harmison/Sidebottom
Panesar

I couldn't care less about the keeper situation. Lets be honest Prior hasn't been very good behind the stumps but we should give him a prolonged run but I wouldn't mind if Mustard was picked either. I chose Broad because he has pace bounce and is a real prosepect with the bat as well. Tremlett really impressed me this summer and why was he not picked in Sri Lanka? Also do we stick with the over rated sidebottom or the potential match winner Harmison. I'm slowly losing my patience with Harmy.

Strauss was world class, but simply wasn't good enough in the year leading up to his de-selection, he has too many technical faults. Cook and Vaughan had some good opening stands in Sri Lanka.

Your comment on Harmison is the opposite for me, I gained more respect/trust for him for his showing in Sri Lanka.

zreh

Club Cricketer
I see New Zealand winning the ODI series, but I think their batting line up is too weak, If england bowl smart, they can win the test series

gary0808

Club Cricketer
Your comment on Harmison is the opposite for me, I gained more respect/trust for him for his showing in Sri Lanka.

I agree, but Harmison only made a slight improvement. He hasn't put in a performance of what his talent deserves since Pakistan at Old Trafford in 06which was a truly awesome bowling display.

I've always stuck up for Harmison but for someone who can bowl consistently at 90 mph with his steep bounce should be putting up better performances. Saying that he should be ahead of Sidebottom who is very one dimensional.

Sureshot

Executive member
I wouldn't say he's one dimensional, he's certainly not a Harmison, but then you don't want 3 bowlers like Harmison in a team.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I see New Zealand winning the ODI series, but I think their batting line up is too weak, If england bowl smart, they can win the test series

England has been good in ODI cricket this year. They have won 3/4 tournaments or series they have played in. They look much balanced side than Kiwis. I'll put my money on them winning both forms of cricket.

Having bowled on flat tracks would have teached Harmison and Sidebottom a lot about using the ball. Hoggard after his first tour of India was a diffrent bowler. I expect same for the above two.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Strauss has to play as far as i'm concerned. He had a blip in form in the summer, and in the Ashes, but he is one of England's most talented openers. I feel the decision to drop him against Sri Lanka was a good one, but feel that his style of play will definetly suit the NZ conditions. I'd drop Bopara, stick Vaughan down to 3, and go back to Cook and Strauss at the top of the order. Strauss is a magnificent player, and i feel that he still has a big future in English test cricket. If he gets another chance, i;m sure he'l perform brilliantly.

As for the bowlers, Harmy, Jimmy and Hoggy for me. Sidebottom IS one dimensional, relies on swing, and finds it very hard to take wickets without it. When theres no swing he tends to bowl far too straight, which allows top quality batsmen tojust ship him away on the leg-side. In home, swinging conditions he'd be a good choice, but i think a combination of Harmy, Hoggy and Jimmy is a much better attack. Anderson's going to be leading the attack in 2-3 years, so needs to be in the squad consistently, he's quick, accurate, swings the ball, aggressive, and a great fielder.

My team for the first test then:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson
Panesar

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I'd have to disagree,
Vaughan and Cook look to have a solid partnership at the top and its also gives the left hand, Right Hand Combination. The phrase 'If it 'aint broke, dont fix it'

Yes i would probably drop bopara, If he plays we have Colly and him as all rounders, But Vaughan doesnt want to bowl either of them, So i would probably put Owais Shah in there he is a solid batsmen and can score good runs. With colly bowling his niggly medium pacers at times. It puzzles me as to why Vaughan doesnt bowl them more,

Bowlers; Harmison and Hogarrd are a certain yes, Harmison can bowl quick, with his height gets bounce and troubles lost of batsmen. Hoggard loves to terrorize the lefty's and is a very consitent bowler. Sidebottom is a good bowler, accurate, persistant can swing it both ways and gives his all everytime he puts any england shirt on. Sidebottom came out of Sri Lanka with an average of 63.6 (thats just SL tests) but he had around 6 catches dropped off him by prior if you add those 6 catches to his wickets it then takes his average down to 29. Which in Sri Lankan conditions as quite good.
There is also the option of going with Anderson instead of Shah and comitting to that bit longer tail. For me i prefer that because we need to have confidence in our top order and also gives that bowler in case Harmison or Hoggy are bowling badly or injured. Otherwise we have the two bowlers monty and Colly.

So my Team would be;

Cook
Vaughan
Bell
KP
Colly
Prior
Anderson/Shah - On what conditions
Sidebottom
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar