Group C thread (Argentina, C?te d'Ivoire, Serbia and Montenegro, Netherlands)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Discussion about Group C

Group C Standings

1st Argentina (2w,0L,1d,7pd) 7 pts
2nd Netherlands (2w,0L,1d,2pd) 7 pts
3rd C?te d'Ivoire (1w,2L,0d,-0pd) 3 pts
4th Serbia and Montenegro (0w,3L,0d,-8pd) 0 pts

Schedule

10-Jun-06 Hamburg ARG 2-1 CIV 21:00
11-Jun-06 Leipzig SCG 0-1 NED 15:00
16-Jun-06 Gelsenkirchen ARG 6-0 SCG 15:00
16-Jun-06 Stuttgart NED 2-1 CIV 18:00
21-Jun-06 Frankfurt NED 0-0 ARG 21:00
21-Jun-06 Munich CIV 3-2 SCG 21:00

Source - Yahoo

MWaugh

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
thread title is wrong aussie. should it be group a thread?

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I can't wait for the match Argentina against Netherlands. Both are my favourite teams of the World Cup. And I am counting that both teams will go through.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Argentina and Holland will easily go through, though the Serbians may spring a surprise. the Ivory Coast aren't that bad aswell as they have Didier Drogba and Toure from Arsenal. Argentina to finish top.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I think Van Basten will regret it, he didn't take Huntelaar, Seedorf and Makaay. :mad

I find this the toughest group of all, so there aren't easy matches. And last time Argentina played in the World Cup they were out in the first round, so I wouldn't be sure of them qualifying to the next round. But they are the favourites to go through.

And maybe it would be better to post the direct link of each team's page.

Netherlands: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/overview.html?team=ned
Argentina: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/overview.html?team=arg
Serbia and Montenegro: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/overview.html?team=scg
Ivory Coast: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/overview.html?team=civ

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
This seems to be the easiest group of the lot. But I don't know much about the last two teams so who knows. But really it should be Netherlands and Argentina.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Holland and Argentina obviously, but Serbia and Montengro won their qualifying group so they can't be awful.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:
This seems to be the easiest group of the lot. But I don't know much about the last two teams so who knows. But really it should be Netherlands and Argentina.

Did you see the World Cup draw? :laugh By then this was labeled as the toughest group. Also some days later I saw the same reflection on the polls on BBC site and some other football sites. And there is some reason to it. Ivory Coast was in the Africa Cup Final and Serbia and Montenegro were ahead of Spain in the qualifying group.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Drewska said:
Holland and Argentina obviously, but Serbia and Montengro won their qualifying group so they can't be awful.
I'd agree, Argentina have really fast players.

hondeyho

International Cricketer
usy said:
I'd agree, Argentina have really fast players.

They've had a total regeneration since the last world cup, getting rid of old and way past it players such as: Veron, Samuel, Batistuta and Lopez and taken the wake-up call since their shock exit 4 years ago.

They've bought many young and in some cases experienced players, not a lot is known about some of their players so they'll be a team to watch.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
hondeyho said:
They've bought many young and in some cases experienced players, not a lot is known about some of their players so they'll be a team to watch.
..and players like Tevez and Messi will definitely make them a team to watch.

gold639

International Coach
Yeah, they have loads of promising players - Messi, Mascherano, Saviola, Milito, and loads of experience with guys like Sorin, Ayala, Crespo, Zanetti and Riquelme.

Hariz

International Cricketer
hondeyho said:
They've had a total regeneration since the last world cup, getting rid of old and way past it players such as: Veron, Samuel, Batistuta and Lopez and taken the wake-up call since their shock exit 4 years ago.

They are definitely a team to watch out for, If Riquelme can play in the midfield like he did in Villareal's CL-campaign and feed Crespo, then they can be very dangerous.

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Argentina, even with a changed squad, can't be underestimated. Players like Riquelme will surely shine. This team could go far Imo. As for 2nd, should go to Holland. I cant see the others causing much of a problem

Users who are viewing this thread