Group E thread (Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Discussion about Group E

Group E Standings

1st Italy (2w,0L,1d,4pd) 7 pts
2nd Ghana (2w,1L,0d,1pd) 6 pts
3rd Czech Republic (1w,2L,0d,-1pd) 3 pts
4th USA (0w,2L,1d,-4pd) 1 pts

Schedule

12-Jun-06 Hanover ITA 2-0 GHA 21:00
12-Jun-06 Gelsenkirchen USA 0-3 CZE 18:00
17-Jun-06 Kaiserslautern ITA 1-1 USA 21:00
17-Jun-06 Cologne CZE 0-2 GHA 18:00
22-Jun-06 Hamburg CZE 2-0 ITA 16:00
22-Jun-06 Nuremberg GHA 2-1 USA 16:00

Source - Yahoo

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Another group where only 3 of the teams have a chance. Italy should get through, as should the Czech's with their good strikeforce and Petr Cech in goal. The USA might do something though, but as for Ghana, they might aswell enjoy it.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I would vote for the Czech Republic to top the group. This team is very impressive, with Nedved as the engine of the team. I hope all the players get fit by the team the tournament starts, since about three/four players are now sidelined. But sometimes mistakes in the defence costs them the match. I hope they train on it.

Italy will have to count on Luca Toni's goals. And Italy will go through also off course.

If they play like they played against Germany, when they thrashed them with 4-1, they can come very far.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
saurabh2185 said:
The Czech also have good striker called Milan Baros.

Yep, they have a very good strike force with Milan who had a half-decent season for Aston Villa and was the leading scorer in Euro 2004 (I think) and with Jan Koller. They are very different strikers aswell so they work well together.

Hariz

International Cricketer
ZexyZahid said:
I would vote for the Czech Republic to top the group. This team is very impressive, with Nedved as the engine of the team. I hope all the players get fit by the team the tournament starts, since about three/four players are now sidelined. But sometimes mistakes in the defence costs them the match. I hope they train on it.

Italy will have to count on Luca Toni's goals. And Italy will go through also off course.

If they play like they played against Germany, when they thrashed them with 4-1, they can come very far.

I dont think that Nedved will be in that high spirits after the Juventus-scandal and as for Milan Baros, he has'nt been in very good form recently. They are a good team but it will be very difficult beating Italy and Usa and qualifiying as the top team in this group.

abhishek_rox

School Cricketer
Id go for the Czeck Republic to top, theyve got quality all round, its not only Nedved, or Baros, theyve got Koller up front, with Heinz as reserve striker. Poborsky is a exceptional talent, Rosisky can do well. Galasek is a solid Midfielder. Theyve got the best Goal keeper in the world, and their defence is pretty good as well with Ujfalusi, Hubschmann, Jankulovski. For me, the Czechs to top the group, with Italy as second. USA might come out as a surprise, but I dont expect much from Ghana, theyve only got one top quality player

usy

Chairman of Selectors
USA are abit too fast :D, lets go Italy.

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Interesting group. Apart from Ghana, anyone could finish anywhere. USA are becoming a good side with talent like Freddy Adu, Czechs are solid and Italy are... Italy! For me, Italy to top and the Czechs to finish 2nd

hondeyho

International Cricketer
I reckon the Czechs will finish 1st in the group, they are a really good all-round team with a world-class keeper in between the sticks.

For me Italy are a great side, but I have a feeling that the Czechs could emulate Croatia and Korea's successes in 1998 and 2002 respectively, being the side that nobody predicts for, and reaches the semi-finals

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
And the Czech Republic are ranked as second team in the world for a reason. :)

If anybody remembers the match of the tournament in Euro 2004 against the Netherlands, you can know what the Czech Republic can do.

hondeyho

International Cricketer
I watched that match, anybody else who underestimates them SHOULD see it.

This will be one of the closest contested groups, many think that Ghana are way out of it but I reckon an upset could be on the cards, I have a sneaking suspicion that Ghana may beat either Italy or USA.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
The Spin said:
Italy! For me, Italy to top and the Czechs to finish 2nd
yeah, that's what will happin, I too think.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I can still remember that match really good. Especially since I am favouring the Netherlands and these guys wasted great chances, before the Czech Republic pulled it out in the second half.

Also this match was famous for the Robben substitution. Everybody, except the Dutch coach Advocaat, somehow got the idea to pull him out for a defender, when Robben was actually the main threat. Off course after the loss, Advocaat received heavy criticism. And with the newest innovations (internet) for him specially a website was opened, where you could vote how dumb he was and could express your feelings. A bit in the style of Ihateganguly.com. And it was a hit.

Users who are viewing this thread