Group H thread (Spain, Ukraine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia)

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Hariz said:
Spain certainly have a lot of good players in their squad and if they mesh together well, then they have a good chance of going pretty far. I am eager to see Luis Garcia perform at the worldcup, as he is a class act imo.

Same, he had a good season for Liverpool. He isn't very consistent but he can score great goals at the right time. And he scored a hattrick on his Spain debut.

hondeyho

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Drewska said:
Same, he had a good season for Liverpool. He isn't very consistent but he can score great goals at the right time. And he scored a hattrick on his Spain debut.

It'll be interesting how the likes of Garcia and Alonso perform and how well they do. I feel that some of the Spanish squad may be on Rafa Benitez's shortlist so I may be watching some of Spain's matches.

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Spain, the perennial underachievers! Should get out of this group and even win it if they play well. Although that has been said before a lot and they still havent won the tournament. Ukraine to get 2nd for me

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Spain have alot of good Players as we all know, but what happens to them on big tournaments like this, remember at Euro 2004, although they will be on top of this group anyway.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
gold639 said:
I can't believe Baraja hasn't been picked! :(

Also Morientes is missing. ;) I myself would include him in the Spanish squad.

hondeyho

International Cricketer
ZexyZahid said:
Also Morientes is missing. ;) I myself would include him in the Spanish squad.

You would?!?!?! He's had an appauling season for Liverpool frankly, he doesn't deserve to be picked.

edgarisapimp

Club Cricketer
Spain is looking towards youth this time around (i.e. Sergio Ramos, Torres, Reyes, Villa, etc.). Aragones is trying to refurbish their old image as being underachievers. Even if they don't win, I still think that a good showing here will do wonders for Spanish football. Spain has a tremendous youth program and the future looks bright. :D

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
edgarisapimp said:
Spain is looking towards youth this time around (i.e. Sergio Ramos, Torres, Reyes, Villa, etc.). Aragones is trying to refurbish their old image as being underachievers. Even if they don't win, I still think that a good showing here will do wonders for Spanish football. Spain has a tremendous youth program and the future looks bright. :D
The man who could play a crucial role in Spain's World Cup campaign is Villarreal's Marcos Senna. I thought he played brilliantly this season, and even though his club underperformed in the league, their run to the semis of the Champions League, had a lot to do with his presence in midfield.

I am an all time Raul and Real Madrid fan, but I would prefer starting with the two in-form strikers, David Villa and Fernando Torres. However I think Aragones will be using all three strikers during the course of the competition.

With no Vicente (I am certain England would have risked taking him, if he were available to play for them), Arsenal's Jose Antonio Reyes will probably start on the left flank. The centre of midfield has a lot of options with Senna, Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso all capable of doing a good job. The right belongs to Joaquin, who in my opinion is one of the best in the world in that position.

Defence is Spain's weakness, but then Spain, like Brazil are a team that believes in the policy of outscoring the opponents. Hence you have a lot of attack minded and goalscoring defenders in the team. Sergio Ramos and Carlos Puyol to play in the centre, with Michel Salgado and Asier Del Horno/Luiz Fernandes on the left.

Iker Casillas keeping goal, and another key player in the squad. Surely one of the top three goalkeepers in the world today.

sid_19840

International Coach
Agreed that Spain have a good team capable of making it to the latter stages of the competitions,but they have always been underacheiving in the International arena in the last few years,also with a youngish team it will be interesting to see how they can cope up.They should definately make it past the group stages atleast.

edgarisapimp

Club Cricketer
Good to see another Spanish supporter in m_vaughan. :D
In my mind, Casillas will be the make-or-break player for Spain. If they get the Casillas who flies around and saves penalties like nothing, then they have a VERY good chance at progressing into the latter stages. Ca??zares played well in La Liga, but I still think that he is past his prime. Casillas needs to play well and get some support from his defence.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
edgarisapimp said:
Good to see another Spanish supporter in m_vaughan. :D
In my mind, Casillas will be the make-or-break player for Spain. If they get the Casillas who flies around and saves penalties like nothing, then they have a VERY good chance at progressing into the latter stages. Ca??zares played well in La Liga, but I still think that he is past his prime. Casillas needs to play well and get some support from his defence.
Well all three Spanish keepers are of top quality. Jose Reina too had a splendid season with Liverpool. But yeah, Casillas has to be first choice because of his more acrobatic nature, and has a very good record of saving penalties.

People keep on blaming Spain of underachiving, and I fully admit that, but then no one can doubt the team's quality. Especially in midfield, where I think Spain is only second to Brazil. Although a lot of those world class players are not actually travelling to Germany. Good to see a young side though, and I have full faith in Aragones' plans.

Also I thought Spain were really unlucky in the last World Cup. The first team that made it to the knockout stages, then beat the Republic of Ireland in the round of 16. Went out in the QFs (again!), but two goals were controversially disallowed, and I can go as far as saying that Spain were robbed in that game.

edgarisapimp

Club Cricketer
:crying
I remember that game.

Just like the whole Barcelona/Arsenal ref debate, I think that the blame can't fall SOLELY on the refs. Spain "scored" those two controversial goals - they should've scored more that weren't as debatable. But, these things happen. Regardless, Brazil v. Spain in the quarterfinals will be the game of the tournament (assuming both teams make it that far ;)).

Casillas can fly! :hpraise

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
edgarisapimp said:
:crying
I remember that game.

Just like the whole Barcelona/Arsenal ref debate, I think that the blame can't fall SOLELY on the refs. Spain "scored" those two controversial goals - they should've scored more that weren't as debatable. But, these things happen. Regardless, Brazil v. Spain in the quarterfinals will be the game of the tournament (assuming both teams make it that far ;)).

Casillas can fly! :hpraise
Brazil vs Spain would be a cracker, especially since both teams are so attack minded and dont have the best defences. We could have a lot of goals in that game. Hoping Spain wins it ofcourse.

Also I think Pernia's inclusion in the side could actually benefit Spain, as Del Horno was out of form for Chelsea towards the end of the English season. Anyhow I think Antonio Lopez will start at LB.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Another victory for Spain, beating Croatia 2-1 in the final friendly. It was hard fought though, as Croatia did put the Spanish defence under a lot of pressure. But I believe Spain's strength lies in their midfield.

Excellent goal by Torres in the end to seal the victory in injury time, and he is surely one of the main contenders for the Golden boot. It was a nice attack by the Spaniards, and an excellent cross by Sergio Ramos, with Luis Garcia doing well with the dummy to confuse the defenders.

Now this would be my starting XI against Ukraine

------------------Casillas----------------
Salgado---Puyol----Ramos-----Antonio Lopez
---------------Alonso----------------------
Joaquin------------------------Reyes------
---------------Luis Garcia------------------
--------David Villa---Fernando Torres-------

anakwalajinn

Club Cricketer
Saudi Arabia! :)
I love them! Going to buy their shirt and support them here.
And can anyone please make a cool Saudi Arabia sig & avatar for me? :)
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread