KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
This. A nation is heartbroken. This hurts Zimbabwe Cricket more than anyone else due to the financial implications. Sad day.

While you guys are FINANCIALLY screwed but there is still hope for you guys if Aus & Pak tour go ahead as planned :)
I worry about Scotland & UAE [They are still associates] and don't get to play many matches against the big teams :/

Zim can still get through if tomorrow is a tie. But yes, this financially crippled us. The guys are distraught. I just can’t believe this. DLS is truly useless.

DLS is just shit!
**** ICC! C***S!

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Again the issue here isn’t Duckworth-Lewis; you need to have some way of dealing with rain affected games and DLS is the best and fairest way as of now to do it. The problem is the lack of reserve days which mean that rather than finish this game tomorrow to get a proper result (it was hardly guaranteed that Zimbabwe would have won, the UAE played well and were in a good position before the rain came) we have another game that has a question mark after it in a very important tournament. This one is more clear cut (Zimbabwe knew the target at the start of their innings and failed to get it; the Scotland one had something else dodgy happen at the end) but still very stupid that it happened at a very big tournament.

As for the impact on Zimbabwe I feel for them but, if I may be frank, they get eight times more money from the ICC than Scotland and similar nations get and have a lot more opportunities open to them. They’ll be fine. As for the perils on not qualifying it’s exactly the same stuff that associate members have faced since 1975 so you know how we feel. Full Members having to qualify is actually the least worst part of the reforms (I’d have everyone qualify to make sure that it’s fair) and a net positive in my eye since that’s fairer for Associate members since we aren’t just fighting for a small number of slots amongst ourselves; the issue is an exclusionary ten team World Cup which is designed to exclude teams seen as unpopular with the wider public and to prevent the big teams from embarrassment - as would be possible from the teams in the Super 6 in this if not also the Dutch and the Nepalis.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm sure by 2035 CWC we will see team numbers increased to 14.

I get it it's not good for all viewers and financially, but this isn't going to work for smaller teams. With FTP already set up for big teams, smaller teams will going to struggle even more.

ICC needs to do something at least. How can Associate teams improve themselves by playing against each other and one or two series against a big team in 1 year?
Don't be silly. 2035 World Cup will be 5 teams playing each other 5 times; India, Australia, England plus two qualifiers - unless China or the USA take a sudden interest in cricket over the next decade in which case they'll be advanced to test status and world cup places.

S

Satan666

Unfortunately WI are touring India for a FULL tour in October/November. :facepalm
Just before the big tour of Australia.

More Xenophobic posts coming from you, first it was Sri Lanka now West Indies.

Other than the 5 ODI the tour seems okay. Three T20I gamesd when WI are probably the best in the format, and have been for a while now.

Two test matches, only two and WI recently won a test in England.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Satan666

Again the issue here isn’t Duckworth-Lewis; you need to have some way of dealing with rain affected games and DLS is the best and fairest way as of now to do it. The problem is the lack of reserve days which mean that rather than finish this game tomorrow to get a proper result (it was hardly guaranteed that Zimbabwe would have won, the UAE played well and were in a good position before the rain came) we have another game that has a question mark after it in a very important tournament. This one is more clear cut (Zimbabwe knew the target at the start of their innings and failed to get it; the Scotland one had something else dodgy happen at the end) but still very stupid that it happened at a very big tournament.

As for the impact on Zimbabwe I feel for them but, if I may be frank, they get eight times more money from the ICC than Scotland and similar nations get and have a lot more opportunities open to them. They’ll be fine. As for the perils on not qualifying it’s exactly the same stuff that associate members have faced since 1975 so you know how we feel. Full Members having to qualify is actually the least worst part of the reforms (I’d have everyone qualify to make sure that it’s fair) and a net positive in my eye since that’s fairer for Associate members since we aren’t just fighting for a small number of slots amongst ourselves; the issue is an exclusionary ten team World Cup which is designed to exclude teams seen as unpopular with the wider public and to prevent the big teams from embarrassment - as would be possible from the teams in the Super 6 in this if not also the Dutch and the Nepalis.

The economics of having reserve days in a tournament of this 'level' is illogical!

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
More Xenophobic posts coming from you, first it was Sri Lanka now West Indies.

Other than the 5 ODI the tour seems okay. Three T20I gamesd when WI are probably the best in the format, and have been for a while now.

Two test matches, only two and WI recently won a test in England.
Very irrational of you to accuse me of being xenophobic. I respect Sri Lankans and WI, knowing they are going through a tough phase. Both are playing por cricket. However, I said that in the context of that India have a big tour of Australia. A full tour of WI coming to India will not help the team, only weaken it in terms of mental and physicoal strength while winning overseas is the Indian team's top priority. As I said in the discussion about India playing in the Nidahas Trophy, our boys are playing a lot of cricket. There needs to be a break of some sort. We have the IPL coming up, a few weeks' break and the two month tour of England. Following that, we host Windies and we tour Oz and NZ. Are you so ignorant of the fact India play so much cricket with few breaks? Players need to freshen up for those big tours as India haven't been very strong overseas in the last decade. I just hope young players are selected once again just as it was done in the T20 tri series.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
The economics of having reserve days in a tournament of this 'level' is illogical!

They had reserve days for the WCL Division 2 which effectively acted as a qualifier for this tournament (its how Nepal and the UAE qualified for the qualifier) and they had reserve days for the 2014 World Cup Qualifiers. Reserve days for tournaments like this at this level are very common; and to imply that somehow they cost a lot of money and are a rarity suggests that you don't actually follow associate level Cricket and are speaking from a place of ignorance. Christ; they had reserve days for the WCL Division 6 a few years ago which is hardly the pinnacle of international cricket - although for the players who represent Norway or Suriname or the other countries that play at that level it still is possibly the most important Cricket that they'll ever play. Reserve days are not this rarity at Associate level - indeed it seems they make more use of them than they do at major ICC competitions which is probably further proof that the development arm of the ICC is the most competent part of the whole organisation.

There's also the fact that; again; this is an important tournament; far more important in the big scheme of things than a random bilateral ODI series or whatever. If this was any other sport they'd be treating the qualifiers for their World Cup as being crucially important and give all possible opportunities for key games to be completed to ensure that the most worthy teams qualified: which clearly hasn't happened here. To have rain-effected games (and in the case of Scotland and the West Indies one possibly changed by a howler that would have been reversed had DRS been a thing in this tournament) effectively decide who qualifies and who doesn't is not only a massive kick in the teeth of the teams who missed out but it also probably annoys those that no qualify: it reduces the legitimacy of their achievement and that isn't a good thing.

e: Christ; one other thing. These games were all ONE DAY INTERNATIONALS; they ARE the same level as games played involving India or Sri Lanka or whoever. To somehow dismiss these games are somehow secondary - even though in this competition you've had Scotland beat Afghanistan and almost beat Zimbabwe and the West Indies and the UAE - seen as the weakest team in the tournament at the start - beat Zimbabwe - is an insult to all of the people who play in these ODIs and demonstrates that awful snobbery that seems to only infect Cricket.

S

Satan666

They had reserve days for the WCL Division 2 which effectively acted as a qualifier for this tournament (its how Nepal and the UAE qualified for the qualifier) and they had reserve days for the 2014 World Cup Qualifiers. Reserve days for tournaments like this at this level are very common; and to imply that somehow they cost a lot of money and are a rarity suggests that you don't actually follow associate level Cricket and are speaking from a place of ignorance. Christ; they had reserve days for the WCL Division 6 a few years ago which is hardly the pinnacle of international cricket - although for the players who represent Norway or Suriname or the other countries that play at that level it still is possibly the most important Cricket that they'll ever play. Reserve days are not this rarity at Associate level - indeed it seems they make more use of them than they do at major ICC competitions which is probably further proof that the development arm of the ICC is the most competent part of the whole organisation.

There's also the fact that; again; this is an important tournament; far more important in the big scheme of things than a random bilateral ODI series or whatever. If this was any other sport they'd be treating the qualifiers for their World Cup as being crucially important and give all possible opportunities for key games to be completed to ensure that the most worthy teams qualified: which clearly hasn't happened here. To have rain-effected games (and in the case of Scotland and the West Indies one possibly changed by a howler that would have been reversed had DRS been a thing in this tournament) effectively decide who qualifies and who doesn't is not only a massive kick in the teeth of the teams who missed out but it also probably annoys those that no qualify: it reduces the legitimacy of their achievement and that isn't a good thing.

e: Christ; one other thing. These games were all ONE DAY INTERNATIONALS; they ARE the same level as games played involving India or Sri Lanka or whoever. To somehow dismiss these games are somehow secondary - even though in this competition you've had Scotland beat Afghanistan and almost beat Zimbabwe and the West Indies and the UAE - seen as the weakest team in the tournament at the start - beat Zimbabwe - is an insult to all of the people who play in these ODIs and demonstrates that awful snobbery that seems to only infect Cricket.

Yes youre right I do not follow cricket outside of the test playing nations.

I may indeed be a bit off here but from my point of view I cant recall reserve days ever making a huge impact in international tournaments. Only a Champs Trophy probably between India and SL comes to mind where they actually had to resort to using the reserve day.

Another thing is this Qualifying tournament is being broadcasted throughout, not sure if same was done for the other tournaments you alluded to, plays a big part in a the whole economics of having a reserve day. Is it logical to have a resrve day for each super 6 game? Keeping in mind its a 50 over game!

S

Satan666

Very irrational of you to accuse me of being xenophobic. I respect Sri Lankans and WI, knowing they are going through a tough phase. Both are playing por cricket. However, I said that in the context of that India have a big tour of Australia. A full tour of WI coming to India will not help the team, only weaken it in terms of mental and physicoal strength while winning overseas is the Indian team's top priority. As I said in the discussion about India playing in the Nidahas Trophy, our boys are playing a lot of cricket. There needs to be a break of some sort. We have the IPL coming up, a few weeks' break and the two month tour of England. Following that, we host Windies and we tour Oz and NZ. Are you so ignorant of the fact India play so much cricket with few breaks? Players need to freshen up for those big tours as India haven't been very strong overseas in the last decade. I just hope young players are selected once again just as it was done in the T20 tri series.

Didnt a younger team took part in the Nidhas Trophy? Major names like Kohli were rested, werent they?

You dont care for the SL and WI players getting exposure or their boards getting some finances for playing in India, hence the Xenophobia.

Its akin to this stupid world cup qualifier because they want to have a 10 team WC so the test playing teams play each other only and zero exposure for other teams like UAE/Nepal and so on. Same exact mentality!

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Yes youre right I do not follow cricket outside of the test playing nations.

I may indeed be a bit off here but from my point of view I cant recall reserve days ever making a huge impact in international tournaments. Only a Champs Trophy probably between India and SL comes to mind where they actually had to resort to using the reserve day.

Another thing is this Qualifying tournament is being broadcasted throughout, not sure if same was done for the other tournaments you alluded to, plays a big part in a the whole economics of having a reserve day. Is it logical to have a resrve day for each super 6 game? Keeping in mind its a 50 over game!

You don't need a reserve day after every game: you need a small block of days after the scheduled end of the tournament which you could run in to if rain intervenes. Awkward for the broadcasters sure; but fairer for the teams and this is sport and that's what you need to consider primarily when you make rules. There's a day between the end of the super 6 and the tournament final - which means nothing other than pride; doesn't decide anything - why couldn't they have used that as an effective reserve day?

The other solution is to not hold competitions during rainy seasons when practical alternatives exist - we have over a year before the World Cup; there was time to hold this slightly later in the year where rain would be less of a factor.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Didnt a younger team took part in the Nidhas Trophy? Major names like Kohli were rested, werent they?

You dont care for the SL and WI players getting exposure or their boards getting some finances for playing in India, hence the Xenophobia.

Its akin to this stupid world cup qualifier because they want to have a 10 team WC so the test playing teams play each other only and zero exposure for other teams like UAE/Nepal and so on. Same exact mentality!
Have you seen any improvement in the SL side as they played India twice for a full tour and this Nidahas Trophy? They are in the same position they were in before, with a team lacking in confidence and self belief. I don't think SL are gaining anything through playing India. You see a spark here and there with SL, nothing more to keep that burning on. We have seen vast improvement in teams in the WCQ, everyone expected Scots not to come so close due to previously a few months ago looking like a poor side. They've proved they have the guts to fight and showed that through the way they've batted and bowled. They have certainly improved, in comparison to SL who haven't moved a bit in shaping a good team capable of taking on the heavyweights of world cricket like Ind/SA/Aus/NZ/Pak etc. SL certainly haven't benefited, that's for sure.

S

Satan666

Have you seen any improvement in the SL side as they played India twice for a full tour and this Nidahas Trophy? They are in the same position they were in before, with a team lacking in confidence and self belief. I don't think SL are gaining anything through playing India. You see a spark here and there with SL, nothing more to keep that burning on. We have seen vast improvement in teams in the WCQ, everyone expected Scots not to come so close due to previously a few months ago looking like a poor side. They've proved they have the guts to fight and showed that through the way they've batted and bowled. They have certainly improved, in comparison to SL who haven't moved a bit in shaping a good team capable of taking on the heavyweights of world cricket like Ind/SA/Aus/NZ/Pak etc. SL certainly haven't benefited, that's for sure.

Its a bit naive to expect wholesale results in such a short space of time.

What about the fans of SL and WI? Arent they/us fans of cricket as well? Why deprive them of seeing their team rub shoulders with one of the best sides of the world?

Why have this silly qualifying tournament? Why deprive me of seeing another Irish victory over Pakistan?

Australia and England still schedule regular tours of the Caribbean and the WI still recieves a pop when visiting England and down under. If those two teams can entertain ‘poor teams’ (as you say) like WI then who the hell are India to shut them out? Anytime the Indians have played at the Queens Park Oval in Trinidad they are greeted with more supporters than the WI, why deprive them of that.

Please explain to me this ideal of segregation between the ‘poor teams’ and the top teams. Cuz as I see it world cricket in the end suffers the most.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
BREAKING NEWS:
The only way Zimbabwe can qualify for the World Cup is in the scenario of a tie (in which each side bats for, at least, 25 overs). In this situation, Ireland’s net run-rate will drop behind Zimbabwe.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Its a bit naive to expect wholesale results in such a short space of time.

What about the fans of SL and WI? Arent they/us fans of cricket as well? Why deprive them of seeing their team rub shoulders with one of the best sides of the world?

Why have this silly qualifying tournament? Why deprive me of seeing another Irish victory over Pakistan?

Australia and England still schedule regular tours of the Caribbean and the WI still recieves a pop when visiting England and down under. If those two teams can entertain ‘poor teams’ (as you say) like WI then who the hell are India to shut them out? Anytime the Indians have played at the Queens Park Oval in Trinidad they are greeted with more supporters than the WI, why deprive them of that.

Please explain to me this ideal of segregation between the ‘poor teams’ and the top teams. Cuz as I see it world cricket in the end suffers the most.

I am not talking about any segregation.
As an Indian cricket fan, I don't find much joy playing teams that are floundering like WI or SL. You don't seem to understand that I've been talking about Indian cricket this whole conversation. I'm not thinking about those teams, my opinion is based upon the Indian cricket team and the fact that we've got so many tours that it's so damn tough to squeeze in a home series when India have played almost nonstop international cricket.

As the neutral fan you are, you might feel the need for teams like WI and SL consistently playing top teams. Fair point, I respect that. But in the context of the Indian team which I was talking about them, this is a bit of a waste having a full series with all the tours we are facing on the way and this could really be a short tour.

Coming onto your point with expecting results in a short amount of time, SL have been with for over 3-4 years now finding a proper team with so many players being used, how could this be? It really hasn't been a short time at all. If anything, it's been a long time finding a solid group of players while they've found one or two.
If there's a tour of SL or WI, I'll just need to wait through it and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread