ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

B

Bigby Wolf

Come on Scotts! Nothing against the windies but Scotland qualifying will definitely give a slap to the ICC.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
So Windies are through.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
WTF just through by 5 runs! I feel so freaking bad for Scots! They played marvelous cricket throughout the tournament :(

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Was there no DRS? He was definitely not out! I am seriously feeling bad for Scotland, they did everything correct this tournament. I wish they only rise up from this tournament onwards.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
No DRS; no reserve days. Its not like this tournament was very important with major implications... Had that wicket not been given then we'd have won by three but even then it wouldn't have been fair to the West Indies because for a major international tournament with major implications for all of the teams playing in it there should be reserve days available - especially when you're playing in what is effectively the rainy season in Zimbabwe!

Its one big farce; both this game and the whole idea of contracting to a ten team world cup when all other major sports are expanding their World Cups. The forecast is terrible tomorrow: there's a real chance that Zimbabwe may well get screwed out of qualification because they'll get a no result in their UAE game which makes the Ireland-Afghanistan game effectively a playoff (Zimbabwe would still qualify with a tie or a no result but; well; that depends on the weather). That's the thing that gets me more than anything: why on earth don't we have reserve days which would give us the best chance possible to finish this game and play the Zimbabwe-UAE game and make sure that the best two teams actually qualify and not the two luckiest teams. We also should have had DRS as well - the ICC makes a fortune from TV rights; I'm sure that they could take a little out of the money they give to England and Australia and have spent it on setting up the equipment needed for it at the four grounds they were using - but honestly I get that more than I get the absolutely brainless decision not to have reverse days available for such an important competition when rain was always going to be likely.

I'm incredibly proud of the way that we've played: Scotland only played four ODIs against Full Members in the time between the end of the 2015 World Cup and the start of the World Cup Qualifiers and we get one-eighth of the money that Zimbabwe get from the ICC (not to mention the West Indies) and yet we beat Afghanistan; we tied with Zimbabwe and we spent the vast majority of that game against the West Indies clearly ahead only to be denied by a dodgy Umpires decision that we couldn't review and rain without any Reserve Days. That's what makes this especially cruel: if we'd bottled it and gotten knocked out in the first round I'd have been annoyed but at least we would have been outplayed: here we've shown that we can play with the best and be competitive and yet we'll probably only get like three games against Full Members before the next set of Qualifiers and who knows if we'll be as good then as we are now. There's also the impact that us not being at a World Cup is likely to have on encouraging people to pick up the game and play and that's what you need for long term development of the sport. Although we've not qualified; I think that we've proved ourselves to the world and I hope like hell that someone in power is watching and realises that contracting the sport is the worst possible thing that you can do and that this move towards a ten team world cup - which is likely to be a very boring competition based on the format alone - is going to be a significant harm and make all of the great work that the Development arm of the ICC has done and still does (the WCL system etc etc) moot since what's the point of going through all of that when you've got a very small chance of actually qualifying for a major international competition.

What makes me feel happy is the universal reaction to this is annoyance from general Cricket fans: and that's probably the only chance that we have of forcing change. It also demonstrates that the clarion call of the ignorant parts of the press who don't pay attention to Associate level Cricket - that somehow we're all a lot worse than all of the Full Members and that letting us in to the World Cup would somehow create a terrible competition - has been firmly disproven: although I disagree that it should have happened in this way (you need qualifiers but it should be for a larger World Cup) this tournament has been very good to follow entirely because you had five teams who were all competitive and who on their day can beat each other and below them you had teams like the UAE and Nepal who're on a slightly lower level but one which is ever diminishing.

A fourteen or sixteen team World Cup with the teams in this competition included would be great; you'd have all sorts of interesting; compelling matchups that we've never seen before and possibly a few giant killings which might spark something that leads to a dramatic increase in popularity of the sport in a new place. Instead: what we have are the same ten nations playing each other again in a boring format which will lead to endless dead rubber games and nothing new for people who watch lots of Cricket. Its a huge; huge shame and massively short sighted.

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Ngl Windies honestly don't deserve to be in the CWC, Scotland played well. All the associate teams are evolving and becoming better but West Indies are just plumiting to be the bottom. Although the Windies liven up the cricket, they have just been getting worse and worse every year. Captain needs changing,board needs changing and coach needs changing. If West Indies are struggling to beat teams like Scotland and Zimbabwe, I don't want to see how they are going to play against the top teams. It's only a matter of time until West Indies have to qualify for the qualifying tournament

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
One other that I forgot; we beat Sri Lanka last year in a pre-Champions Trophy warmup game. Now you could give all of the caveats about it being a warmup game and not a proper ODI and whatever but that's another major achievement in recent history which suggests that it isn't the West Indies "plummeting to the bottom" but us coming up and improving.

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
One other that I forgot; we beat Sri Lanka last year in a pre-Champions Trophy warmup game. Now you could give all of the caveats about it being a warmup game and not a proper ODI and whatever but that's another major achievement in recent history which suggests that it isn't the West Indies "plummeting to the bottom" but us coming up and improving.
Ok Scotland played well but you do have to admit that WI are getting worse every series they play

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ok Scotland played well but you do have to admit that WI are getting worse every series they play
I would agree with this. You'd expect WI to win this easily and both batsmen and bowlers having fun out there. WI are pretty poor, but still you have to give teams like Scotland and Afghanistan and others credit as they gave WI a run for their money. Scotland and Zimbabwe were the best teams this tournament arguably, and they showed that consistency that WI didn't have.

Very unfortunate Scotland went down by just 5 runs, but to you Scots you guys should be proud of the way your team played. Played with fight and determination and I hoped they won today. WI were a bit lucky this match with that Berrington dismissal, but if rain had not come I feel Scotland could've chased down 199. I hope Scotland and other Associates play more cricket against Full Members and big teams. A treat to watch the Associate teams fight out there, especially against Zim and WI.

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I would agree with this. You'd expect WI to win this easily and both batsmen and bowlers having fun out there. WI are pretty poor, but still you have to give teams like Scotland and Afghanistan and others credit as they gave WI a run for their money. Scotland and Zimbabwe were the best teams this tournament arguably, and they showed that consistency that WI didn't have.

Very unfortunate Scotland went down by just 5 runs, but to you Scots you guys should be proud of the way your team played. Played with fight and determination and I hoped they won today. WI were a bit lucky this match with that Berrington dismissal, but if rain had not come I feel Scotland could've chased down 199. I hope Scotland and other Associates play more cricket against Full Members and big teams. A treat to watch the Associate teams fight out there, especially against Zim and WI.
It will be scary to watch Windies against the likes of India,England,Australia, South Africa New zealand

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It will be scary to watch Windies against the likes of India,England,Australia, South Africa New zealand
Unfortunately WI are touring India for a FULL tour in October/November. :facepalm
Just before the big tour of Australia.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
So Zimbabwe are out. Can't believe they couldn't hit one six in the last two overs.

Naveed bowled 3-4 full tosses in the last over. Ervine should've dispatched at least once.

Having a feeling Afghanistan will crush Ireland in the next game.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Can someone explain why Zimbabwe need 230 in 40 overs when UAE only scored 235 in 47 overs ??

DLS is really stupid !!
Was about to post the same. Which team can only make 5 runs in 7 overs?

Zimbabwe, technically can still qualify. Just pray for a downpour tomorrow. NR will make points equal! All pray the God of Rain!

Users who are viewing this thread