It is here - finally - alpha 0.1 released!!!!

Mushfiq

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
hmmm..i thought subcontinent students usually have a summer vacation in the month of april and may ?

I have a vacation from May 1st to 8th and I want to do some 2D Graphics for TAOC. I have a lot of skill in Flash and Photoshop and I have always dreamt of doing 2D Graphics and Animations for a cricket game. Let me know if you're intersted
By the way, I went to Mirpur Stadium yesterday to see SA vs NZ match and I took some photos of the stadium. I hope they will help you in modelling the stadium

Pic 1
Pic 2
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/7b0326deb486744037bb2d4dacec192ffebce04b12a5dc4eeb7abab8430db2af6g.jpg

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
good stuff guys, couldn't really bowl properly because of me using a laptop but batting was pretty good.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Another issue/observation:

Stumps seem to go for a toss every single time a fast bowler hits them. Or is it just me?

cain21

School Cricketer
My two cents

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and first thing I did was see the TAOC Alpha 0.1...must admit found TAOC to be a game with great potential and some of the ideas you guys are putting in are exciting to say the least. Had a couple of ideas I'd like to share:

1. I noticed that regardless of the number of rotations, there is no indication of any kind of drift, hope there is some way you could implement that.

2. I also felt that the various grips shown for swinging or spinning the ball were not accurate. The way they are shown, there is no scope for the ball pitching on the seam and moving sideways. The only way that happens for fast bowlers is via the rotations, which is something that quicker bowlers do for their slower deliveries rather than regular ones. If you could maybe implement a system where, if bowled right, the ball both moves in the air as well as off the pitch for faster bowlers..but also make that difficult to achieve..

3. For the conundrum you find yourself in regarding the no-balls, I was thinking that rather than having every single delivery where your meter fills up beyond a point turning into a no-ball, you can probably have a random set of scenarios for what would happen in that case.
To simplify, one of the following could happen: the bowler may lose control (Steve Harmison's first delivery in 2006-07 Ashes comes to mind)
OR bowl a no-ball
OR a shorter/fuller delivery than intended.
You could probably assign some kind of probability of each so that the first event happens once in a blue moon and the last on happens most often.

I have little to no knowledge of programming so what I have posted may not be feasible..but do look at it!

Can't wait for the alpha 0.2! Once again, thanks for your work guys and keep it up!!

Spraggy

Club Cricketer
Dont know if this has been said but is it brett lee bowling action and micheal clarkes batting stance also is it shane warnes bowling action ? sorry about spelling lol

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Yes it is Bret Lee's Bowling action and Shane Warne's bowling action but it's not Michael Clarke's batting stance, it is Sachin Tendulkar's batting stance

Will Browne

Club Cricketer

Stumps seem to go for a toss every single time a fast bowler hits them. Or is it just me?

Yes, true but I think next time you should think twice when talking about things 'going for a toss'.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer

I broke this on the day of release and totally forgot/ran out of time to put it back. Basically there's a certain critical force the impact has to register before the stump will 'go for a toss' which I had removed for debugging. Forgot to raise the minimum back up so pretty much all high velocity pace bowling will knock them out at the moment. :facepalm Already adjusted it in my code so it won't be the case for 0.2

Though on the plus side you can at least experience the stumps flying a lot, which normally is pretty rare.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
LM/JK, I made a suggestion for the no ball situation in the TAOC Discussion thread. Check it out.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
... next time you should think twice when talking about things 'going for a toss'.

Just googled the meaning and yea.. my bad :p

what i meant was they cartwheel everytime

----------

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and first thing I did was see the TAOC Alpha 0.1...must admit found TAOC to be a game with great potential and some of the ideas you guys are putting in are exciting to say the least. Had a couple of ideas I'd like to share:

1. I noticed that regardless of the number of rotations, there is no indication of any kind of drift, hope there is some way you could implement that.

2. I also felt that the various grips shown for swinging or spinning the ball were not accurate. The way they are shown, there is no scope for the ball pitching on the seam and moving sideways. The only way that happens for fast bowlers is via the rotations, which is something that quicker bowlers do for their slower deliveries rather than regular ones. If you could maybe implement a system where, if bowled right, the ball both moves in the air as well as off the pitch for faster bowlers..but also make that difficult to achieve..

3. For the conundrum you find yourself in regarding the no-balls, I was thinking that rather than having every single delivery where your meter fills up beyond a point turning into a no-ball, you can probably have a random set of scenarios for what would happen in that case.
To simplify, one of the following could happen: the bowler may lose control (Steve Harmison's first delivery in 2006-07 Ashes comes to mind)
OR bowl a no-ball
OR a shorter/fuller delivery than intended.
You could probably assign some kind of probability of each so that the first event happens once in a blue moon and the last on happens most often.

I have little to no knowledge of programming so what I have posted may not be feasible..but do look at it!

Can't wait for the alpha 0.2! Once again, thanks for your work guys and keep it up!!

Welcome to the forum dude.

1 and 2 make a lot of sense to me, not sure about the third one.

@1 & 2 - Though both would add a lot of realism but the key will be to make both of them very hard to get. If every other ball/bowler can seam AND swing the same ball, it won't be very realistic. I say, it should depend a lot on the weather and pitch condition plus a very high skill level should be required at bowlers end.

@3 - making it random doesn't make sense. E.g. Last ball 8 to win, bowler will make sure it's not a No Ball.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Just played it again during an impromptu break from essay writing. One shot that seems to be missing is the ability to play a full delivery way outside off, through cover.

The current cover drive looks like this. An additional one could be something like this.

legend_master

Just played it again during an impromptu break from essay writing. One shot that seems to be missing is the ability to play a full delivery way outside off, through cover.

The current cover drive looks like this. An additional one could be something like this.

Once footwork is in there you'd be able to step across and play a cover drive. You could also possibly try a square drive once it's been properly tweaked.

D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

legend_master

I think perhaps the bails should fly further/higher and spin in the air more when you hit the stumps, especially with a fast bowler.

Also, sometimes the bails stay on even when you hit the stumps sometimes with the fast bowler - this isn't entirely unrealistic,, but perhaps is a little too common, also the sound effect makes it sound more like a full-on hit rather than a glancing touch.

Little things, I know :p.

Anyone else think it's a bit too easy to prevent yourself getting bowled? Whenever I'm trying to both bat and bowl to my best, I usually find that regardless of my quality of delivery, I can keep the ball from hitting the stumps practically every time. Maybe when the bounce is fixed and back-foot shots are introduced, bowling a good length will keep you guessing between playing front and back-foot shots, leading to more misses?

Another thing, maybe defensive shots that are powered up a lot could just use the pace of the ball to guide it between fielders? Currently all defensive shots seem to almost stop dead.
You don't need to play an attacking stroke in cricket to score boundaries, would be great if this could be reflected in the game :).

Good feedback, thanks. Bails - didn't notice that - thought they generally come off for me. Will keep more of an eye on it though. Sound effects - placeholder.

About the too easy thing...

i) I've since made the collision zones smaller so it is more accurate and less easy to collide with everything. You need to be more precise. Don't worry, it's not too hard to hit everything now, just not as easy as before.
ii) Don't forget you know exactly what the ball will be doing because you are controlling the bowler AND the batsman lol. In reality when batting you won't know what the ball is going to do. The bowling cursor will show up later than it does now, there will be variable line and length from the bowling cursor (not yet implemented) to emulate randomness and you won't know if it's going to swing or seam or whatever. Batting will be much scarier and harder when you don't know 100% what the ball is going to do.

About the defensive shots using the pace of the ball - that's good feedback. I know they need some work. Pretty sure I will be able to implement this.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
About the defensive shots using the pace of the ball - that's good feedback. I know they need some work. Pretty sure I will be able to implement this.

I think the same should be the case with attacking strokes as well. Speed of ball should always be a factor in how fast it goes off the bat. E.g. With everything else same, a cover drive off Lee's ball should be much faster than that on Watson's ball.

Users who are viewing this thread