Mar 19 : Australia vs Pakistan

midgetwars

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I guess we are overreacting against a loss at a WC. I mean we haven't seen that happen since 3 world cups.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yep, 12 years is a long time. And thinking that the last time Australia didn't make a WC final was 1992 - when I was 9 :eek:- then it starts to hit home how desperate these other teams are to knock the Aussie socks off.

Smith not getting a bowl was interesting. Krejza might have deserved to bowl 10, but in context, he probably should have stopped at 8. Once Pakistan were within 20, the plan should have switched to death mode.

Agree with that. Once Umar Akmal decided to actually defend him then Krejza's impact wasn't going to be much. Watson probably bowled one or 2 overs more than he should too. Lee should have bowled those instead. No use starting Lee's 8th over with less than 10 runs to get.

Clarke was brilliant as captain in the ODI give him captaincy. Swap hussey and white, why is hussey down at 6??

Ponting without captaincy may even score some runs. Clarke knows how to actually rotate his bowlers. We saw that against England. Although what he was doing against SL was weird.

Hussey should definitely be at #5. If only because it gets a left hander in sooner. In current form I'd also consider batting White at #7. It's not a thing I'd do - if you start demoting a player because of bad form you should be DROPPING him, not demoting.

As for Clarke - I like his captaincy so far and I'm looking forward to Ponting being given the flick after this World Cup. Would be unbelievably harsh on Ponting though to replace him now. The other thing with Ponting that really annoys me and which makes me sound like a has-been commentator (:D) - is the GODDAMN OVERRATES!! He mucks around SO much, big conferences with the bowler, bringing fielders in and out for the last balls of overs. Yes it's common to drop players to the boundary for the last ball, but do you call for a short leg for the last ball of the over where you have to wait for a helmet and box to be brought out? Um, no... Australia really needs to fix that problem. It'll give them the chance to play 4 quicks if they want, it will make them seem more relentless and less clueless in the field. I can only see positives in improving the overrates.

And a special shoutout to my man Brad Haddin. I've been complaining a couple of times about his batting in this tournament. He's not getting out easily, but by Crom his strike rotation SUCKS. Not sure what we can do with him TBH. By opening he's batting where his strike rotation problem hurts the least. Maybe getting shoved down to #7 might be the answer. Move everyone up a spot.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
And a special shoutout to my man Brad Haddin. I've been complaining a couple of times about his batting in this tournament. He's not getting out easily, but by Crom his strike rotation SUCKS. Not sure what we can do with him TBH. By opening he's batting where his strike rotation problem hurts the least. Maybe getting shoved down to #7 might be the answer. Move everyone up a spot.

You aren't alone in that department. His knock against NZ was the best he has played in ages, that is how he should always be playing especially if hes going to open. He is not in the side to score a 100 of 140 balls plus he'll never last that long to do so anyway.

ammar26

School Cricketer
LEE really did a great job in bowling today, for once i thought Pakistan might lose
but great job specially from Umar Akmal and Asad Shafiq

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Damn you just made me emotional :noway :rolleyes

Dont worry, mother nature will take away all the pain. Study a bit about global warming, Bay of Bengal and its effects on Bangladesh, and your emotional heartache will turn into sheer fear.

P.S - i suggest you learn how to swim real good.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Yesterday was the first time I had a proper look at Krezja. And, I was impressed. He isn't as bad as people made out here. Was looping the ball nicely, and getting decent turn. He can be the final piece Aussies need for their attack. Lee was just magnificent. Really reminded me of hs glory days. Just wished Akhar played, as I'm sure both would have been pumped to best the other.

Aussie's need to sort the form their batsmen. Kick White out, he's been out of form since the beginning of the Eng series, and bring in Dussey. And use Smith as a pinch hitter.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
Well Well Well,i had some problems with my PC that's why couldn't come here during the game.Alas!

A great bowling performance and specially fielding performance by Pakistani team.They deserved this win and Yudi your feeling was right that Pakistan will be the team to put a break on Aussies consecutive wins last time also we were the team to beat the mand we did it again.

Still Pakistani batting should be improve.We could have easily win this match by loosing 4 wickets but 6 are worry.I hope we'll do a better effort in the knock out stages of the Cup

And with India's victory now we'll face WI in the quarters Hurray!!!

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Well Well Well,i had some problems with my PC that's why couldn't come here during the game.Alas!

A great bowling performance and specially fielding performance by Pakistani team.They deserved this win and Yudi your feeling was right that Pakistan will be the team to put a break on Aussies consecutive wins last time also we were the team to beat the mand we did it again.

Still Pakistani batting should be improve.We could have easily win this match by loosing 4 wickets but 6 are worry.I hope we'll do a better effort in the knock out stages of the Cup

And with India's victory now we'll face WI in the quarters Hurray!!!

I think Afridi's wicket was the only bad one. Lee was bowling like a house on fire and Johnson was bowling tidy and found the outside edge. Shouldn't be too worried about losing 6.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Go back and watch some highlights and you will see the commentators harping on about it. As for Hauritz being smashed to all parts, that was because Ponting told him to be more aggressive. Instead of sticking to what he did best he was forced to change his game.

Nah that Hauritz talk is a myth. Yea Ponting encouraged him to be aggressive in interviews etc. But quite clearly Hauritz bowled no different in IND 2010 that how he bowled since he was recalled for the MCG test 2008/09. The Indian batsmen just smoked him accordingly & better than what international batsmen where doing (should have been doing for 2 years). Im sure you have all people will recall how the Indian batsmen was just the way Ross Taylor had crashed in a test in NZ in early 2010.

Also my friend you know i dont miss AUS tests & although my memory of games from 1996 may not good as games from 2006. Im fairly confident that except for that one instance in IND couple months back, i dont recall commentators making much of deal abt Punter field placements for spinners.

If did even happen i'd probably would have ignored it as a misguided on-air rant by the commentator at the time.

Simple he looked a hell of a lot more comfortable under the leadership of Clarke. It wasn't just the cheap wickets he was bowling well. Having the confidence of your captain plays a big part in how you bowl.

Ok & what gives you impression that Smith doesn't have the confidence of Smith?. When you see articles this this:

Steve Smith hailed as new Steve Waugh | Herald Sun

Which highlight the fact that Ponting has had private convo with Smith about his importance to the national side (although i feel in some ways his importance is being over-rated), that is clear sign of confidence for eg.

Plus i definately i have seen no evidence that Smith looked more comfortable while Clarke was captaining him in AUS, compared to when Punter is in charge - none whatsoever.

Which is why it isn't his ideal spot, the guys that need time to get in really should be higher.

Well technically yea. But i dont see it as big issue with him coming @ # 7 as it stands.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Its a very morale and cofidence boosting game for Pakistan. Pakistan bowling completly outplayed the Aussies, plus a wonderful captaincy of Afridi on the field. The bowling changes were superb.

I knew at the start that Pakistan won't make it that convincingly even if Austriallia would have bowled out under 100 because we always take pressure when it comes to chase specially against the biggest team. However, I am highly happy that the Aussies winning streak has ended finally, The streak which started from 1999 World Cup Final.

I was disappointed by Haddin's attitude, specially when he pushed Younas Khan. I didnt expect this from him :facepalm

Anyhow, Its good that we are playing against windies. Well Dont be so happy, We are such an un-predictable team, Anything can happen but on Paper, Ofcourse Pakistan is favourite.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What about the commentary of Ian Chappel? I didn't see any comments on it.
Ian was pretty hilarious as he was trying to tell what must Pakistan team do and what not. One of the most biased commentators of all.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
What about the commentary of Ian Chappel? I didn't see any comments on it.
Ian was pretty hilarious as he was trying to tell what must Pakistan team do and what not. One of the most biased commentators of all.
Maybe you're a biased viewer; he rips into Ricky Ponting a fair bit these days.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Maybe you're a biased viewer; he rips into Ricky Ponting a fair bit these days.

He is far more against Pakistan these days then any other team if you are following his articles and commentieries.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
It does not matter who is against or with Pakistan as long as the team keeps shutting them up for us in the field. Even here at PC the hostility towards Pakistan which is understandable keeping in mind the fixing saga, will subside if Pakistan continue to perform like Champions.

Users who are viewing this thread