Mar 2 - England v Ireland

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Where did those blockhole deliveries from TimB against India at the death disappear tonight ?? :spy

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Just a massive wow. It was probably over England were going to make over 300 but I never thought Ireland would get even close to that total. Not only did they get close they had 1 over spare. O'Brien what a knock, simply brilliant.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
england bowling wow... really if u cant diffend 330 with ireland good luck winning the worldcup... simple fact is if you dont have bowlers to win matches for you, you have to be lucky to win a worldcup india is the same by the way

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
]

Rightttt... let's just ignore every single thrashing on the back of this one result.

Be it just one result. Chasing 328 successfully, from a precarious position of 111-5, against a Test team, who has existed in cricket for more than 100 years is no mean feat.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
btw, I would like to point out- Do not abuse Ireland by calling this an upset, upsets happen- but not with scores more than 300+ and certainly not in the way the Irish chased it down.

It still is an upset, the definition of that is basically the underdog winning. What you meant to say is it wasn't a lucky win.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I suppose that England just got a bad day, thats it. It was a great performance by Ireland but the team cant go further, England just had a bad luck. England has every potential to beat South Africa and the other team to get into Quarter-Finals.

Phineas

Club Cricketer
Completely inept bowling and fielding performance from England. It has been the same all tournament and has now caught up with us. Anderson is horribly out of form and was for all the 1 dayers in Australia. He should not have been picked ahead of Tremlett who could have real impact with his bounce.

Paul Collingwood hasn't been good enough for a while now and is clinging onto a spot that should be occupied by either Bopara or Wright and Prior is playing poorly too.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Amazing performance by Ireland! The group has now been flung wide open with all teams, bar probably Netherlands, having a prospect of make it to the quarter finals. The time is ripe for some huge upsets to take place, as four teams are now stranded in two points each, while India and England, the group toppers, are just one point ahead. Ireland will play their heart out against India in their next game, and if they can bludgeon the England, considering the parlous state of our bowling attack, the odds of them putting up a miraculous performance against India are pretty high. The recent matches have really breathed life into what was turning out to be a bland and predictable World Cup!

Yah it's really opened the group up. India and South Africa should be fine to qualify (barring any accidents), but the last 2 spots should be fought among 4 teams. Ireland may have already scuppered their chances by losing to Bangladesh. England might scrape in with that tie (or scrape out). West Indies need to ensure they don't get surprised by either Bang/Irel and they should be right. Bangladesh just need a win against one of the big 4 and they should get in. Fascinating.

offdriven4

Club Cricketer
This proves that the Irish and the Dutch are probably the two best Associates. They have improved considerably since their last outing.Time to think about their future ?

Ireland for Test Status !!!

Excellent use of logic there ,unfortunately ,as you yourself have put it, it does not apply to cricket. :D

unfortunatley due to an almost complete lack of a domestic structure,and because the ICC wouldn't rake in any more money, Ireland getting test status is hugely unlikely

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yah it's really opened the group up. India and South Africa should be fine to qualify (barring any accidents), but the last 2 spots should be fought among 4 teams. Ireland may have already scuppered their chances by losing to Bangladesh. England might scrape in with that tie (or scrape out). West Indies need to ensure they don't get surprised by either Bang/Irel and they should be right. Bangladesh just need a win against one of the big 4 and they should get in. Fascinating.

Bangladesh v England should be a real good contest, Bangladesh have the spinners to be able to keep England below 300 and have shown they can chase around that. England have looked the most likely of being upset and it happened today and there hasn't been anything to suggest it won't occur again. WI is an interesting one they are always prone to the upset but have the x-factor players that can destroy the possiblity of an upset.

darthlewis1

Club Captain
I just want England to bat second in their upcoming matches as I feel more confident when they're chasing a total even if its over 300 rather than defending a total.

Highlander999

ICC President
Yeah....urm.....my dad was born in Malta and I live in Scotland, I'm not associated with England in any way after that performance!!!! :thumbs

Sureshot

Executive member
unfortunatley due to an almost complete lack of a domestic structure,and because the ICC wouldn't rake in any more money, Ireland getting test status is hugely unlikely

It's a shame that this is the reality. The quality of the players Ireland can and has produced is very good, the amount of them playing in English domestic circuit is substantial.

If only the ICC would put in the investment in to Irish cricket that it has in to Bangladeshi cricket, I think Ireland stand a far better chance of establishing themselves within the Test Elite in 15-20 years than Bangladesh.

As for the game (Nicely put, Tom ;)), well, another pathetic performance in the field. Swann was good, but the rest of the attack was dire. Changes must be made, the balance of the side is all wrong, I'd consider bringing in Shahzad for Yardy, more aggressive option with the ball and I think Bresnan can bat 7 on these wickets, if the top 6 can't do the job on these batting paradises then you shouldn't expect an extra all-rounder to be able to do it.

I'm still fairly confident we'll qualify, with wins over Bangladesh and West Indies we should be home safe. I still don't think you can write off England just because of this one game, we gave a better fight against India than most side, it's just England being their inconsistent best.

I think Broad came back too early, he didn't look at all good, even before his knock at the end.

Congrats to Ireland and long may their successes continue and Irish cricket expand in to a full ICC member.

Finally, stop bowling sodding length at the end of an innings, if you bowl length with cutters or slower balls, fine, but not with normal paced balls. Yorkers work, or have the bowling unit forgotten how Bresnan bowled against India?

Sunday is going to be interesting.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I saw the replay of the game first and Ireland were 3/103 after about 20 overs and I thought that was good but in the context of the chase it wasn't enough. Then I turned to the news and heard that they had won! Amazing achievement by the Irish and what a knock from O'Brien! If you had him in your fantasy team you would be laughing!

A great day for Irish cricket! Let's hope they continue to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread