Mar 6 - England v South Africa

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah I thought Broad should have got MOM, I didn't see Bopara's innings but Broads role in the match stands out more.

It can also be a case of losing context. By that I mean statistically Bopara's contribution of 60 or whatever in a score of 170 odd looks important, and it was. But then the England bowlers were looking beaten when South Africa reached 123 with only three wickets down which was 2/3 of the way to winning.

At 75/1 chasing 172 Broad took out Amla and Kallis to bring England back in contention. At 164/8 with only EIGHT RUNS NEEDED Broad took the last two wickets to secure victory. But for his wickets surely South Africa would have won? For me it isn't necessarily about statistics of who contributed a bigger figure, but also whose contribution made the defining difference. The England total didn't look adequate even with Bopara's (and Trott's runs), and it shouldn't have been enough to win, but Broad made sure it was and we did.

If you also consider Broad wasn't bowled until the 16th over or something like that, he turned the game back on its head.

Auwais

International Coach
Hi Buddy. Often on the forums but don't post that much these days. Hope all's well :)
You too mate. Seems like it was yesterday when me and you were Pakistan in one of those online tournaments, Cricket 2004 I think it was.

Were due to face Radaga but you got a flu or something and my total ended up being chased easily. :p

jonah

International Coach
You too mate. Seems like it was yesterday when me and you were Pakistan in one of those online tournaments, Cricket 2004 I think it was.

Were due to face Radaga but you got a flu or something and my total ended up being chased easily. :p

Oh, the memories. Good times mate:cheers

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Haha, only SA can do this. Bloody Chokers! and good win for England :thumbs

Haha really have to feel for them :

1999 WC semis against Aus
Tie vs SL 2003 WC
2nd ODI vs India 2011
Now against England

Have missed many matches tbh :lol

----------

And btw , its England's 8th victory in 9 ODIs against South Africa (8-1) . :D

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
And you've forgotten to mention how many times they have been knocked out in the semis.

Lol forget that , i just wanted to sum up the number of games they came this close to winning and yet lost it from nowhere . :p

Sureshot

Executive member
khalek - Because he's always been one to succumb to our bowlers who have good reputations against lefties. Flintoff, Anderson and Swann.

Massive win for England, pretty poor with the bat, but great to see a good performance in the field. Apart from Yardy, I think all the bowlers did a superb job. Big runs for Bopara, I think he's a better option in the side than Colly, he's just in too bad nick atm.

Users who are viewing this thread