TAOC on the Wii

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
A bit of a long shot but now that Nintendo have opened up the Wii to independent game makers there is a chance. Full story here

I'm not sure what work would need to go into porting the game, especially with regards to making use of the motion sensing controls but how wonderful would this be?! It would also open a distribution network using the Wii channels which (ignoring licences etc for the minute) could open up a revenue stream for LM.

What do others think?

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
How about on the PS3?

Man, you should read things before posting stupid things, your really really should.

The fact that A_A is saying this is that Nintendo have actually offered game-makers who dont work in the business to try games on the Wii if they have the will power and time, money and resources to do it.

It would be really awesome if it could be implemented into the montion sensor, and i reckon it would be great for LM and his team to see a bit of revenue coming in for their time and effort, but i think its just TOO much of an ask for an international team (regarding the fact there are people working on the game from differnt countries ;))

D

Deleted member 11215

Before i saw this post i thought i had to prepare my speech about how it cant and that it wont. I then realised A_A had started the thread and that it must make sense and be plausible. Anyway, i reckon this could be done once the pc version is done im sure Paul would have a crack at doing it on wii, unless a company snaps up the game and do it for him :p.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
duded64 said:
Before i saw this post i thought i had to prepare my speech about how it cant and that it wont. I then realised A_A had started the thread and that it must make sense and be plausible.

Exactly the same here, he is planetcrickets current best member, without a doubt.

Sadly, I don't think it will happen simply because LM's aim was to deliver a PC game and it seems to be his sole aim upon which he wants to reach perfection. I don't think he will divert from the PC game concept until he is perfectly satisfied with TAOC on the PC.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
I totally agree that LM needs to stick to his original plan and deliver what has the potential to really show up the big software houses.

However, I'm just curious as to his thoughts on this, especially as it seems that provided he had a good enough product there may be some help forthcoming from Nintendo or even a 3rd party software house.

The article says that other coding skills will be required but that the software tool will make porting it over simpler as well as providing a lot of the code to get the motion sensors working. Though I'm probably wrong I'd have thought that most cross platform games share a common engine and as we know LM has done a bulk of the hard work in developing that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11215

i definatly think he should consider it but complete the pc version first and get it all done. Then he should have a crack at it if he has the time and resources.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
It also depends on exactly what the tool pack contains - though I imagine Nintendo are probably thinking small games with simple graphics etc there has to be the scope to produce a professional and polished looking game.

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
It would be a lot easier to port it to Xbox 360 using XNA Game Studio if LM is using Common Language Runtime (CLR). But I think that LM has stated before that it wont be ported to consoles due to the lack of resources.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
L.M. said he didn't want to finish the core of the game and then leave it to age - he wanted to keep improving it and updating it. An edition for the Nintendo Wii would be more free time gone for him - he has a job to hold down as well don't forget! One mistake with this new edition, in a language he doesn't know, could spell disaster.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Oh yeah, but It'd be possible for him to pitch the idea after he has finished the PC version, and advanced the game a little.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
L.M. said he didn't want to finish the core of the game and then leave it to age - he wanted to keep improving it and updating it. An edition for the Nintendo Wii would be more free time gone for him - he has a job to hold down as well don't forget! One mistake with this new edition, in a language he doesn't know, could spell disaster.

Whilst it would be more of his spare time gone at least by having it for sale on the Wii gaming channel it would offer the chance of some money going his way (yes, there is a probable issue with licences but lets imagine best case here).

Also, its pretty clear that Nintendo want the games to be good to further sales of the Wii and as the article says they're looking for a twist on existing games\formats, I'd hedge my bets but I can see very good examples of this will get assistance (in soe form or the other). By what I've seen of TAOC so far, even a 'lite' version would sell especially when coupled with the novelty of the motion sense controllers.

I'm not forgetting that there could be coding issues (probably the least of the issues when you start to go into it) and the software tool hasn't even been released yet but it's something else which is out there and adds another layer of possibilities. I'm sure that LM would agree with me that as long as he doesn't get too far ahead of himself it's important to keep an open mind and be aware of all avenues.

Looking long term, I'm waiting to see a finished version of the game and then who knows, it would only take a few people clubbing together to raise a bit of venture capital to see if they could take the franchise further and maybe to other formats - but that's all down to the final product and the say so of the creator - LM.

It would be a lot easier to port it to Xbox 360 using XNA Game Studio if LM is using Common Language Runtime (CLR). But I think that LM has stated before that it wont be ported to consoles due to the lack of resources.

I did think of this but I feel that its the novelty of the controllers which would benefit the game (albeit with a possible trade off in graphics).

Last edited:

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The thing Nintendo is offering would let small developers make games like the Virtual Console ones, so N64 graphics with Wii motion sensing if I understand it correctly.
The best you can hope for in relation to cricket on the Wii is if a big gaming company learns from TAOC to make a good cricket game for the Wii (and the rest for that matter). Windows as a platform puts TAOC on an equal level with other game developers, consoles just don't.

Users who are viewing this thread