19th Match, Group F: West Indies v India at Bridgetown

P

pcfan123

Damn, was sleeping all morning and missed this match. Really glad Gayle clicked and that should make it official that India are out. Cant wait for highlights

India to easily beat WI. No contest. Only way it will be different -obviously- is if Mr Gayle has a day out, which no-one can predict but WI win when he fires.

Oh wise Rob :hpraise

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The commentators spoke about the team missing Sehwag. Viru bhai - put your legs up and have a nice drink and celebrate! You are very lucky today. This team has made you look like legend (when you are obviously not even close to being very good!).
What are you talking about? Sehwag is an extremely good cricketer.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Raina failed in the important games here at Barbados. Today though he scored 32, I wont call it a success at all. The players who had a good IPL and who could have been selected are Sachin and Uthappa. Sachin ruled himself out, and Uthappa??? Well, he would have been the same case (or even worse, he is also a flat track bully and wets his pants seeing short pitched deliveries).

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Name 1 person in the current Indian team that had an exceptional IPL.

Gambhir <--Failed
Murali Vijay <--Did ALRIGHT. He got that one Hundred and a few 40s but apart from that nothing notable
Raina <---Was our best batsman in this tournament and had a fine IPL so he is an exception I guess
Dhoni <--- Only showed up in that Punjab game
Rohit Sharma <--- Meh
Yusuf Pathan <--1 ton, failed after that
Jadeja <--- didn't even play! RR would've probably finished last if he did. :sarcasm
Harbhajan <-- nothing notable with the ball
Zaheer <-- played second fiddle to Malinga
Nehra <--- Didn't play

The people who actually did have a good IPL weren't selected at all.

Fair Enough. Having seen it all gone through, who would you have picked?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
What are you talking about? Sehwag is an extremely good cricketer.

I am talking about the shorter formats. Sehwag is extremely good in the tests, no doubt about it. But he is not even close to being very good in the shorter formats and that too on pitches with juice. Havent many people made fun of Sehwag's tendency of being a flat track bully? There is some fact to support that argument.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Uthappa has actually performed world over - SA, England, Australia, etc... so I wouldn't call him a FTB.

Flame_Blader1

Club Cricketer
I disagree. Uttappa is a pretty good player of short deliveries. On top of that he played half of his matches on Bangalore (which was a pretty bouncy wickets). So he would have been a better choice in place of Yusuf or Jadeja at least.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Lol, what a laughable analysis, Rohit. Raina and Vijay scored something like half of CSK's runs.

Gambhir- Failed
Murali Vijay- Revelation. Showed that he isn't just a test match prospect. However, as the bounce was lower, the short ball worries that surfaced vs South Africa in the test series against Steyn and Morkel, were not seen. These worries were exposed in the world cup.
Raina <---Was our best batsman in this tournament and had a fine IPL so he is an exception I guess
Dhoni- Started off great, got injured, came back and had a lean patch but really did well towards the end of the tournament. Took us to the semi finals from a position that only he could, took us to a respectable total vs the Chargers and made a valuable contribution in the finals in a partnership with Raina.
Rohit Sharma- Was Deccan Chargers' standout batsman
Yusuf Pathan- Failed
Jadeja- Didn't play
Harbhajan- Had a great tournament. Took wickets a low average and low strike rate and economy rate was only 7. He was our best bowler in the T20WC so you can't say anything bad about him. He saved us from total embarrassment vs Australia and vs West Indies
Zaheer- T20s aren't his forte. He is expensive and gives too much room to swing for the batsmen. He just can't get his length right
Nehra- Shows how much of the IPL you watched. He played 4 matches and took 6 wickets at an average of 16, strike rate of 14 and at an economy rate of 6.85. He was our second best bowler in this year's T20WC.

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Fair Enough. Having seen it all gone through, who would you have picked?

Considering Sehwag is injured...

1. Murali Vijay
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. Suresh Raina
4. Yuvraj Singh (Simply for experience)
5. MS Dhoni
6. Robin Uthappa (floater)
7. Dinesh Karthik/Irfan Pathan
8. R. Ashwin/Pragyan Ojha
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Praveen Kumar
11. Nehra/Vinay/RP

12. Abhishek Nayar
13. Manish Pandey
14. Harbhajan Singh

If Irfan was playing I would have played 2 spinners in Ashwin and Ojha. Piyush would be nowhere near my squad, Bhajji would be dropped. If Vijay failed at the top, he would be replaced by KKD or Uthappa as an opener. Pandey could have been given a go.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Bhajji had a great IPL, and was our best bowler in this tournament. Nehra did much better than expected too. Zaheer was a colossal disappointment (failed expectations).

d4vin10

School Cricketer
No way should RP Singh be played in T20's, he's even worse than who we play atm and why is Harbhajan out of the squad, he's been our best bowler in the tournament

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Lol, what a laughable analysis, Rohit. Raina and Vijay scored something like half of CSK's runs.

Gambhir- Failed
Murali Vijay- Revelation. Showed that he isn't just a test match prospect. However, as the bounce was lower, the short ball worries that surfaced vs South Africa in the test series against Steyn and Morkel, were not seen. These worries were exposed in the world cup.
Dhoni- Started off great, got injured, came back and had a lean patch but really did well towards the end of the tournament. Took us to the semi finals from a position that only he could, took us to a respectable total vs the Chargers and made a valuable contribution in the finals in a partnership with Raina.
Rohit Sharma- Was Deccan Chargers' standout batsman
Yusuf Pathan- Failed
Jadeja- Didn't play
Harbhajan- Had a great tournament. Took wickets a low average and low strike rate and economy rate was only 7. He was our best bowler in the T20WC so you can't say anything bad about him. He saved us from total embarrassment vs Australia and vs West Indies
Zaheer- T20s aren't his suit. He is expensive and gives too much room to swing for the batsmen. He just can't get his length right
Nehra- Shows how much of the IPL you watched. He played 4 matches and took 6 wickets at an average of 16, strike rate of 14 and at an economy rate of 6.85. He was our second best bowler in this year's T20WC.

I didn't take anything away from Vijay. He had a great tournament, but the bulk of his runs were scored in that one innings, and a few smaller knocks after that. He looked quite pathetic in his first few matches I must say but I enjoyed his batting.

DC's standout player was def. Andrew Symonds. Sharma had an OK tournament but nothing over guys like Uthappa and even Rayudu/Tiwary. Harbhajan was forced to open the bowling and that bewilders me. I would have gone for Pragyan Ojha over him anyday, even Ashwin since he was so economical. Nehra played only 4 matches, not enough to make a good analysis of him.

hardly laughable

Cricketman added 1 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

No way should RP Singh be played in T20's, he's even worse than who we play atm and why is Harbhajan out of the squad, he's been our best bowler in the tournament

This is what I would have picked before the tournament. I know he would probably play but I just think Ojha is a better pick and Ashwin is just so goddam economical, was really impressed by him.

T20 to me is a chance to let youngsters test themselves in international games. We all know how Bhajji bowls but why not give the younger guys a shot.

Flame_Blader1

Club Cricketer
Accept the fact that Bajji did well when opening the bowling. Credit to him being able to bowl like that with the fielding restrictions against the likes of Gayle, Warner and co.

P

pcfan123

The million dollar question for India is that once Zak retires, who the hell leads the bowling attack? Nehra? :laugh

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
The million dollar question for India is that once Zak retires, who the hell leads the bowling attack? Nehra? :laugh

Don't see him retiring soon, but hopefully we'll have a half decent bowler by then.
When Srinath retired there was this phase when guys like Zaheer and Nehra, when raw, were our main bowlers. That was absolutely horrible but Zaheer soon rose to become the leader he is today.

I personally feel Irfan will roar back. He's still young.

Users who are viewing this thread