1st Match: South Africa vs Sri Lanka (Group B)

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it's fair to say, South Africa are under-prepared. They didn't perform with bat or ball in the way we know they're capable. Don't count them being knocked out. The bowling was incredibly loose to Dilshan. If you bowl tight to him he gets himself out. Then when batting they just looked so rusty. They seemed to not have done their homework on the Mendis and Malingas. They need to bounce back quick. It won't happen over night. Considering NZ has played cricket recently it wouldn't surprise me if SA lost.

I think the captaincy was pretty bad from Smith. He took far too long to bowl his spinners, poor bowling changes and whatnot. Can probably also attribute that to not a lot of SA game time recently.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think the captaincy was pretty bad from Smith. He took far too long to bowl his spinners, poor bowling changes and whatnot. Can probably also attribute that to not a lot of SA game time recently.

i think this is spot on, sri lanka chipped away at the spinners for over 10 overs, they'd already set the platform and smith was just saying "ok, build on it." with this move. Kallis being brought back near the end was short sighted as well. and as their best bowler it's odd that Steyn never bowled his full quota whereas parnell did. (even though he bowled 9, where is the sense in that?)

just lacked any imagination.

nikhil_99

International Coach
Very good bowling by Mendis ,he was not effective in IPL-2, against the recent India series,but here against SA he got 3 crucial wickets + he was economical too...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
SA have not played Mendis much. So getting wickets against them for Mendis is easier because they have yet to decode his mystery. No matter what people say, his bowling is purely based on the 'mystery factor'. And because of his mystery, his economy gets boosted too. Once teams like India and Pakistan played him more and more, his effectiveness came down drastically. He was almost on the edge of being dropped, if I am right. Good that the 'mystery' worked for him against SA.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Watching highlights of Mendis bowl when he made his ODI and test debut I'd say he was just bowling better. He had abit more loop on his bowling that's for sure. Lately he's just been bowling flat and hasn't been able too do much with the ball.

The mystery may have something to do with it, but he isn't bowling as good as he was when he first came onto the scene

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I think injuries have had allot to do with it. From his actual sports injuries then the shooting in Pakistan. I think it affected him and his bowling. He is still a threat in ODIs and 20/20.

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Great start in the tournament for Srilanka.

And well done to Dilshan as well, for that superb century.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
SA have not played Mendis much. So getting wickets against them for Mendis is easier because they have yet to decode his mystery. No matter what people say, his bowling is purely based on the 'mystery factor'. And because of his mystery, his economy gets boosted too. Once teams like India and Pakistan played him more and more, his effectiveness came down drastically. He was almost on the edge of being dropped, if I am right. Good that the 'mystery' worked for him against SA.
I don't think it's so black and white. The results he got in 2008 weren't just good, they were phenomenal. There's a lot of scope below those dizzying heights for great bowling. Instead of being some sort of god, it turns out maybe he's human :eek:. Great bowlers though, are also human and they have their weak points too. I know Murali didn't do much in a lot of games this year, but would you be as quick to judge him? In the case of a recognised great bowler, people are more likely to consider a range of reasons as to why he did poorly.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
if india had worked then why in 2 of the last 3 games he's played against them did he go for less than 4.5 an over and take wickets?

Good job getting bowlers out. :p

10-70-1 (Sachin) after he had score 138.
5.2-22-1 (Ishant Sharma) :laugh
10-44-2 (Praveen Kumar and Zaheer Khan) :p
9-64-1 (Raina)
10-44-2 (Irfan and Balaji) :p
10-47-0

khalek

Panel of Selectors
It's the Mendis factor that's done it for SL otherwise SA are still the better team. I think Smith should play Makhaya instead of Parnell to bring more experience into the side and also he's got a new hairstyle and is rearing to go. :D

khalek added 0 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Hope SL drop Mendis, he is just making them lose matches by bowling expensive spells.

What a stupid post :p

D0N

Club Cricketer
Poor performance by South Africa and also bad luck with them :doh

Users who are viewing this thread