3rd Match: South Africa vs. New Zealand (Group B)

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah, it was a messy 5 wicket haul. There will probably be teams happy to see this, backing themselves to fare better against South Africa's weak spots, but at the same time, it's handy to have a bowler who takes wickets even when he's throwing pies.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not watched this game but last game his 3 wicket were just gifts.

stefan

International Coach
another weird MOM.

imo parnell was expensive and getting people caught out late on isn't that great. fair enough if you're bowling yorkers than no one can score off but he's going for over 7 an over and players are getting the ball away, just not quite far enough.

van der mewe or abdv for me.

5 wickets = 100 in my book. Yes he was expensive but he picked up the wickets.

Good job by the boys bouncing back after the poor start vs sri lanka. Should get into the semi's now. Gibbs will be back vs england. Only really worry is jp's form in these 2 games but he is a class act so I am sure he will come good.

Parnie needs to get his economy down and we can still field better than we did today.

Ayub 95

Club Cricketer
Parnell is a bit of a worry. Wickets or no wickets. He is about 5kph down from last season and no where near as accurate.

Maybe it's just rust, but he's lucky to have a class bowlers on his side. But he has to improve. Since moving here free cricket on SABC great :)

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Well that was a better performance, still nothing near what it should be however. I'm getting worried that CSA are going to kill Parnell off before he reaches his potential, I certainly don't want us to develop that Mitchell Johnson type that gets wickets by bowling crap.

Good to see AB is in good nick and Kallis has lost some weight and seems to be keen on scoring quicker rather than idling along like he's known for.

I suppose it's now just a waiting game to see how the other teams go.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
A better performance but they at the moment don't look like a tournament winning team though maybe that's good, after all we always seem to look impressive in the early games. Too many players are getting starts and not enough are making something from those starts. Morkel wasn't too bad with the ball today and has being batting very well in the last few games.

Parnell needs to improve his accuracy, 7 an over in unacceptible even if you get a fifer. Steyn's looking good as well and RVDM has being bowling superbly. Fielding is still not at it's agressive best, they are lacking a bit match intensity. After the hammering Sri Lanka game us, this game should give us some much needed convidence. If England play anything like they did against Australia then we should have an easy game.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
5 wickets = 100 in my book. Yes he was expensive but he picked up the wickets.

Good job by the boys bouncing back after the poor start vs sri lanka. Should get into the semi's now. Gibbs will be back vs england. Only really worry is jp's form in these 2 games but he is a class act so I am sure he will come good.

Parnie needs to get his economy down and we can still field better than we did today.

not always, it has to be judged on it's whole merits. 5-30 or something is better than a 100, whereas 5-200 isn't really anything special. (like Krezja's figures in india or Broads in the 4th ashes test which was just being the lucky guy to pick up bowlers as they slogged a few quick runs)

his 3 wickets against sri lanka were markedly less important than mendis' 3.

it's weird that JP has got out cutting both times, he's not matt prior.

irottev

School Cricketer
Parnell did get 5, but was hardly a great bowling display. Van De Merve bowler better IMO as did Steyn probably. He was just the lucky one to get all the gift wickets. De Viliers maybe shoulda gt it. Didn't see his knock, but he did top score

Ari

International Cricketer
So I hear Franklin got 5 wickets and a not out century last night would be nice to have a quality all rounder.

To be honest we should of just played Diamanti the guy can at least hit the ball well and doesn't need much time to get set. His bowling can be expensive but he takes wickets. The selectors are anoying me to no end and with comments from Vettori and Moles saying things like Oram is such a quality player and we are going to give McIntosh time to get settled I see no end for poor results.

Last edited:

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Tbh I'm getting a little sick of Vettori's comments to. Every game after a loss he say's the same thing. "We were probably 20-30 short but our bowlers did well".

You also would have to think that one of the selectors will get the chop because of this mess, we don't have a reserve batsmen. How much of an idiot do you have to be to not know that Ryder and Oram get injured a lot and that a proper reserve batsmen is needed.

We need a clean-out, and a big one at that. To begin with I'd get rid of Oram and tell him to get some form in domestic cricket. Tbh I don't ever see him being dominant ever again and his bowling is pretty much gone. Brendon McCullum need's to go too. I might get ribbed a bit for this but Recce Young should come into the test team :eek: I'd play McGlashan in the ODI and 20/20 format's. Martin Guptill should probably get the chop also, he hasn't learned anything since coming into international cricket. Here's a free tip Guppy, when there's a man on the rope don't try and hit it over him :doh

Extreme, well yes. But too many of our "star" :sarcasm player's think they're bigger then the team.

A few guys that could come into the team:

Watling
Franklin
McGlashan

Watling has been going great guns for the NZ emerging and NZ A team. Franklin is going pretty well over in England, he's been going very well over the last one-two month's mind. And Peter McGlashan averages 35 in List A cricket, a whole seven run's more then McCullum.

Ari

International Cricketer
Do you know when the South African lot qualify? I heard somthing about this Febuary. Kruger van Wyk averages 44 in one day cricket I would get him straight into the XI. I have heard he gets under peoples skin and people dislike playing against him - perfect. Getting Wagner into the team would be good as well. I think the era of the Mills/Bracken type bowler is coming to an end both have not been effective for awhile.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Van Wyk has one more season to go I think. Johann Myburg Johann Myburgh | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com for anyone that doesn't know who he is will be eligible in October-November next year, he'll go straight into the test team no doubt.

And Neil Wagner has two years left before he's eligible for New Zealand, but he's only 23 so that really isn't a problem. I really like the look of him though. He's got very good pace and he swing's it back into the right hander.

nz0003

International Cricketer
I though Wagner was eligible, he played in the emerging cup games?

nz0003 added 4 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Don't agree with the complete clean out Howsie. McGlashen can't do any better, and neither can Young. Atleast you know McCullum has got the ability it's all about finding that form. I would keep Guptill in the ODI team but not the test team, here is my preferred ODI XI for the next series:

1. Ryder
2. Guptill
3. Broom
4. Taylor
5. Elliot
6. McCullum
7. Franklin
8. Vettori
9. Mills/Butler
10. Tuffey
11. Bond

Still isn't great, but the best I reckon we can put on the park.

irottev

School Cricketer
So I hear Franklin got 5 wickets and a not out century last night would be nice to have a quality all rounder.

He's done that twice now this season - the 5 wicket bag and century double (unless I missed more occasions)

He should be in the team. So should Nathan McCullum. The squad is an absolute joke.

I don't think McCullum should be dropped. I think you're being a bit rash. He needs to drop down the order again. Guptill is an opener and so is Ryder. It's not like moving him will leave a gap. Someone has gotten into McCullum's head and told him not to play his natural game. Think of the innings he's played when he's aggressive. That state shield final innings, the IPL innings, all those quick 50s and stuff. He's not the same guy. I don't know why he's stopped playing like that.

Aside from a slightly slow start with the bat, the only real place we failed hard was once we took that powerplay. The batting from Hopkins down was pathetic. I can excuse Broom because that ball kept low. Not much you can do when that happens. Hopkins played a stupid innings, Taylor was hitting at the other end, he should have been feeding strike and if anything hitting boundaries along the ground. Trying to go over the field was stupid and a gift. Mills should also have looked to turn strike. And then Taylor got out. Can't really blame him too much, he was running out of partners. Wasn't a pretty shot mind you.

Users who are viewing this thread