7th Match: New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So relieved we won.

And probably Styris getting called up, possibly Redmond?

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Personally I'd call up Styris, put Guptill up to open.
Taylor three, Styris four, Elliot five. Drop Broom so that would make Hopkins six.
Then Vettori , Franklin, Mills, Tuffey and Bond.
I know it's not ideal but that is probably the best we can do with Oram and Ryder out.

irottev

School Cricketer
I read somewhere, probably on Stuff, that Redmond was being called in. I woulda liked Styris for his experience too. He's been in these tournaments before and obviously has something to prove. Thought he was hard done by being dropped to be honest. He at least should be in the squad. I guess Redmond will come straight into the side.

Oh and don't drop Broom for Hopkins. Broom needs to get his act together though. He's not made a good impression thus far. His dismissal was very soft last night.

I also read on stuff an article asking why Diremanti was in the squad over Franklin in the first place because he was meant to be the batting all-rounder. I'm just glad sanity finally prevailed and they got him in there. He bowled really well and his batting was important too. As a 4th seamer he's a heck of a lot better than Oram and he's not as one dimensional with the bat. He plays nice and straight. Some of those boundaries he hit straight went like tracer bullets. Oram is too predictable. He goes into that horrible slog mode and the bowler can obviously tell when he's trying to smash it.

Ari

International Cricketer
I hope they keep Broom in Hopkins wouldn't really do any better.

Good call with Vettori to seven as well but I think it happened because we lost McCullum, Taylor, Elliott and Broom very quickly. On the team sheet they still had Franklin ahead of Vettori.

What I hope they go with for the next game:

1: McCullum (I don't think changing both openers is a good move right now)
2: Guptill
3: Taylor
4: Styris
5: Eliott
6: Broom
7: Franklin
8: Vettori
9: Mills
10: Tuffey
11: Bond

irottev

School Cricketer
wrong thread lols.

That'd be my 11 also, except of course if Styris isn't called in and Redmond is.

Last edited:

Ari

International Cricketer
2 more picks and we're all done. I was wondering when Morrison would be taken. I think he was a lot better than his figures suggest. 10 5w bags shows he could win matches on his day. I do have to laugh at some of the recent picks. The openers in particular. That's why you have to get in early for them.

Wrong thread :D

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
LOL, sorry about mentioning Hopkins before. For some reason I forgot it was McCullum that was injured and I was thinking we needed a keeper to replace him. SO on that note I would keep Broom, but I don't really rate him.

Broom does need to get his act together though. His stats are appalling:
Neil Broom: 11 ODI's 144 runs @ 16 . HS 29
7 T20I 47 runs @ 15.66 . HS 36

His domestic record is not very good either. 61 OD matches and only an average of 30. While 22 T20's at an average of just 14. He hasn't made a OD hundred.

Completely agree with Ari's team, except I would have Vettori above Franklin and only bring Franklin up above him if it is the last 10 over's.

irottev

School Cricketer
Yeah, i'd elevate Vettori if he had a bit of time to bat. He's good at moving the ball around and hitting some boundaries in that middle period. Franklin is good at hitting at the death. He hits nice and straight and can hit a long ball. Swapping them probably wouldn't make much difference.

nikhil_99

International Coach
Vettori is really one of the best all rounders in World Cricket, he is really a good bastman too,plays almost every time on any pitch,and also a good bowler...

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Vettori is really one of the best all rounders in World Cricket, he is really a good bastman too,plays almost every time on any pitch,and also a good bowler...

Yeah one of the most under rated batsmen. His OD record is poor because as he bats far down he often just has to slog with just bowlers at the other end.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Why did Srilanka drop Muralitharan?:facepalm

Sangakkara said at the toss Murali asked to be dropped because he thought they should play 4 seamers. But I highly doubt he would ask to be dropped so they are probably covering up something.

Ari

International Cricketer
With the way the pitch had played in the last game you could understand why they would think about going with four seamers the part which is confusing to me is why would they take Mendis over Muarli. Mendis did not trouble New Zealand to much on the recent tour to Sri Lanka so why would you sit out one of the best bowlers of all-time for him.

Also it has been confirmed that Redmond has been called up to replace Ryder. Strange that they would go for an opener when we have McCullum and Guptill already.

irottev

School Cricketer
Guptill has been doing well at 3. Maybe they want to try cement him there.

Users who are viewing this thread