8th Match: England v South Africa (Group B)

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
As for Smith. He wasn't injured. He had cramp. His fault for being a fatty and not taking on enough fluids. Don't get a runner for complacency.

So would Strauss of let Ryder have a runner yesterday? At the time how would the umpires and Struass actually know it was a serious injury. I'm guessing Smith said he had cramp though?

stefan

International Coach
Well done to england. We choked again. Don't worry about Strauss I am sure our fast bowlers will have their revenge for his unsporting behavior soon.;) He was correct about the rules but most captains would have given smith a runner.

karnog

International Cricketer
Smith is not a popular chap among his fellow peers or so i'm told by the neutral Australian press. Captains don't seem cater to Smith's cramp issues. Nah but seriously should've given a runner. Or gotten off the field. I think if they got a wicket and Smith was forced to come in a runner would've been provided. Haven't read Strauss' reasoning though. Cricinfo? Why bother asking.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So would Strauss of let Ryder have a runner yesterday? At the time how would the umpires and Struass actually know it was a serious injury. I'm guessing Smith said he had cramp though?

Ryder had a groin strain, a genuine internal injury.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Ryder had a groin strain, a genuine internal injury.

Really, I didn't know that :sarcasm

Your've just missed the whole point with that post by the look of it.

At the time how would the umpires and Struass actually know it was a serious injury.

Are the umpires going to check him out, wouldn't be that hard to pass cramp of as a groin strain at the time

Last edited:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I don't even care if this comes back to haunt us; Strauss is completely in the right. Cramp is no excuse for a runner. It's caused by poor conditioning and Smith should have known better.

It's typical for people to start jumping on the England hate bandwagon now though. Bitter bitter people.

(and that's not aimed at Howsie, before he says anything)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Really, I didn't know that :sarcasm

Your've just missed the whole point with that post by the look of it.

I don't know how I've missed the point. You were trying to link Ryder getting a runner with the Smith situation.

Ryder had a groin strain - he was injured. He can have a runner, and I imagine England would have given him a runner.

Smith was cramping - he was tired. Why should we give every batsmen who gets a little out of puff a runner?

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
i think strauss was within his rights but it seems a bit petty. I wish when players adopted this "win at all costs" mentality, it exhibited itself in gutsy performances, brilliant fielding and bravery. Not petty tapping of the rule book.

StinkyBoHoon added 5 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I don't know how I've missed the point. You were trying to link Ryder getting a runner with the Smith situation.

Ryder had a groin strain - he was injured. He can have a runner, and I imagine England would have given him a runner.

Smith was cramping - he was tired. Why should we give every batsmen who gets a little out of puff a runner?

I think he was saying that, on the field that two aren't easily discernible. it wasn't like blood was gushing out of Ryder, he just felt sore.

one thing I have to say makes it unfair is, people are saying "oh he should have been better conditioned to bat for as long."

well england went a fair bit over the over rate, and were fined for it, when bowling meaning they extended play.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

When Ryder got injured I first thought it was cramp, obviously it was a lot more serious. What I'm getting at is that if Smith was to cramp up again (Or any batsmen against England) what's to stop them from saying it isn't cramp and it's something more serious? Of course the player would know but it's not like the umpire is going to perform a check on him is it.

Howsie added 1 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

StinkyBoHoon added 5 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I think he was saying that, on the field that two aren't easily discernible. it wasn't like blood was gushing out of Ryder, he just felt sore.

Yea pretty much :)

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
he also had to stand about waiting for eacy delivery longer.

england fans are saying he wasn't conditioned enough to spend so long at the crease, all I'm saying is that england extended this period somewhat with a slow over-rate. Which is against the rules, just the punishment doesn't have practical implications on the game.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
On the Smith runner front, from what Strauss said the umpires were the ones who said he wasn't allowed a runner. So Smith asked Strauss for special dispensation to have one.

If the umpires don't think he warrants one then neither should Strauss in my opinion.

Anyway great win for us don't see us getting past the Semi Finals but they've done well enough for me to even get there in the first place.

stefan

International Coach
Strauss has pretty much insured that he will be the second most hated player of the english touring party latter this year. I hope he enjoys his tour. He can compare abuse notes with KP.;)

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
See that is great captaincy, he's taken some pressure off Trott by doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread