3rd Match: South Africa vs. New Zealand (Group B)

nz0003

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
For discussion of the first Group B match between South Africa and New Zealand.

South Africa (likely) 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Hashim Amla, 3 Jacques Kallis, 4 AB de Villiers, 5 JP Duminy, 6 Mark Boucher (wk), 7 Albie Morkel, 8 Johan Botha, 9 Roelof van der Merwe, 10 Wayne Parnell, 11 Dale Steyn.

New Zealand (possible) 1 Brendon McCullum (wk), 2 Jesse Ryder, 3 Martin Guptill, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Grant Elliott, 6 Neil Broom, 7 Daniel Vettori (capt), 8 Kyle Mills, 9 Shane Bond, 10 Daryl Tuffey, 11Jeetan Patel.

Cricinfo Preview

nz0003 added 6 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Oram and Butler out, the tail looks a bit long for one day cricket but Oram wouldn't of changed that.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yay Oram's out. No surprise he's already injured, it was bound to happen. The selectors were probably just waiting for it.

Would much rather see the extra batsmen come in, Vettori at seven is a little scary. But sadly we don't have an extra batsmen, we have two "?" in our team as back-ups.

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
I think it will be better if McCullum drops down the order an let Guptill open along with Ryder.

Ari

International Cricketer
As I said in the other thread this is where we need Franklin. I don't like the idea of swapping Oram for a straight bowler even though thats basicly all Oram was doing anyway. They could well go for Diamanti (I don't think they will) who is in the squad as an Oram cover.

Vettori and Mills at 7 and 8 with basicly 3 pure bowlers to follow is a long tail and our top order has not been getting the job done either.

1: McCullum
2: Ryder
3: Guptill
4: Taylor
5: Elliott
6: Broom
7: Mills
8: Vettori
9: Patel
10: Tuffey/Diamanti
11: Bond

Diamanti would bat above Vettori if he plays.

Last edited:

irottev

School Cricketer
If we play Diremanti i'm turing the tv off and not watching,

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Not a good idea batting Vettori/Mills at 7, you guys got enough batting problems and a long tail as it is with cricinfo's lineup. Definitely wouldn't want it any longer. Elliott and Ryder will have to get through 10 overs.

charith

Club Captain
Am pretty surprised that SA won the toss and elected to field AGAIN when the game is being played on the exact same pitch as the one they played SL on.. Especially when they have 2 spinners who can lower the scoring in the middle overs. Would've thought they might've learnt something from the other day and batted first to put runs on the board.. Hmmm

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Hopkins "Doh"

Howsie added 2 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

Ryder's already gone. McCullum to follow.

P

pcfan123

Great catch, dont see NZ winning this one or having the firepower to blast out the Saffers.

Steyn bowling really well

charith

Club Captain
Actually thats my bad.. Forgot this was a day game!!! So wouldn't really make much of a difference..

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Pack you're bags and head off to the IPL now you hack of a cricketer.

England to beat us by 10 wickets/150 runs.

P

pcfan123

Parnell looks out of form. If your bowl left arm over and do not hit your line, its very easy to get clipped for runs on the leg side. Was very expensive against Sri Lanka and might go a bit here.

Users who are viewing this thread