3rd Match: South Africa vs. New Zealand (Group B)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Why is that? I feel 7 is perfect for him he can bat higher if needed or rebuild an innings after a collapse. He doesn't take 30 balls to get in unlike Oram.

He averaged 51 for Wellington last season and 44 for Gloucestershire this season in one day games. Hes no longer a bowler who bats just a bit.

Doing it in the domestic level is easy enough, doing it at International level is another thing. Going by his performances in the Test arena as a batter there isn't much to say he will make it. But maybe he will go better in the shorter format.

Ari

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Doing it in the domestic level is easy enough, doing it at International level is another thing. Going by his performances in the Test arena as a batter there isn't much to say he will make it. But maybe he will go better in the shorter format.

He has hardly played as a batsman at international level and when he has hes done fine. During the Wellington test match against India it was him that basicly saved us. The guy has a great head on his shoulders this has been proven. Even when he was playing mainly as a bowler he has pulled us out of trouble a number of times with the bat and since then his batting has improved greatly.

One thing is for certain though he is a better batsman than Oram.

Ari

International Cricketer
I think it is better that England won. This way we just have to win our games and not really worry about run rates providing SA beat England.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He has hardly played as a batsman at international level and when he has hes done fine.

Hes played 2 Test series at 7 where he averaged 21. I'm always skeptical about bowling all rounders batting the top 7. Its easy enough to do at domestic level and even from number 8 but the true test comes when you bat in the top 7 where your score actually matters.

Ari

International Cricketer
Hes played 2 Test series at 7 where he averaged 21. I'm always skeptical about bowling all rounders batting the top 7. Its easy enough to do at domestic level and even from number 8 but the true test comes when you bat in the top 7 where your score actually matters.

The thing is he has been batting better than our other international batsman in the same domestic competition. He has been batting at 4 or 5 for Wellington so hes not just down the order making a few bowlers runs. He has scored two double centurys you don't do that if you don't have a good batting mentality. His technique is fine so he won't be found out there (cough McIntosh)

I am not saying he is going to be the savior of New Zealand cricket far from it, he could well have a couple of bad games. But he is the best batting all-rounder we have at this time and he should never have been dropped. He needs an extended run in the side to show what he can do.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

Tbf he's probably a batting all-rounder now. But I see where you're coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread