7th Match: New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
great win for New Zealand, made a really good comeback after last match.
Dont understand why Sri Lanka dropped Murali.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Wow. Good to finally get a win. I don't think New Zealand actually played that well tbh, our fielding was shocking and the bowling was pretty average. We were lucky Ryder was able to smack 75 on one leg or else we would of failed even harder during the middle overs.

So who will New Zealand call up? Scott Styris I'm picking.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, that'd be ideal. Wouldn't mind Lou Vincent.

Vincent? He hasn't played any proper cricket for ages hasn't he. I heard Simon Doull saying he was playing county cricket, I haven't seen him around though.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Guptill can open, so a middle order batsman should be called up. Styris is a great choice, as he can play the middle overs, and his bowling can come in handy as well.

Anyone else think Vettori should come up the order? Seeing him play today, and in the last couple of years in Test Cricket, I would like to see him come in at number three, and play through the innings. He's got the temperament and the skill to do it.

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
One of the bets innings I've seen from Ryder today. I'm hoping for Lou Vincent to be put in but I wouldn't mind everybody moving up and an extra bowler coming in.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Awesome knock by Ryder and Guptill has been in good form since he arrived. If McCullum got his act together NZ could have posted a massive total, he definitely needs to move down the order though. Hes not in the side to play the anchor.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Well if England win today against SA, then it would be a huge upset if both SA and SL get knocked out which could be eminently possible.

Good win for NZ. Finally they clicked together and beat one of the strong teams, SL.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Great win for us. I feel we got a good change against England.

I watched our innings and I felt we were in a great position heading into the last few over's, which allowed us to push on from what looked like 280-290 through to 315 thanks to Guptill, Franklin and Mills.

I actually said Vettori should be ahead of Franklin (batting wise) before the match, I stated it on the first page and that was exactly what they done.
Vettori is probably the most underrated batsmen in the world at the moment and to have him score that 48 at greater than a run a ball with few risks (he was lucky with running) was great to watch and got us back in the match.

Can't really comment on the bowling as I didn't see it but just looked at Bond's figures... :eek:
What went wrong for him?

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
i like this NZ team! its well balanced.

4 seamers and a spinner. and some good batsman. 7 of em. including Vettori.

if Bond doesnt get his act together, take Buttler

irottev

School Cricketer
Maybe doesnt deserve a wicket, but all his edges go for boundaries. Ah well, that's what happens when you're a quickie.

if Bond doesnt get his act together, take Buttler

Yeah, the pitch seemed to be mean to the quicker guys. Malinga went for heaps as did Bond. Bond's slower balls were quite good though. It's not a pitch for fast bowling on, that's for sure. Sure, Bond had a bit of an off day with this lines and lengths.

The Franklins, Mills, Tuffeys who bowl 120-130 are much better suited.

Franklin > Sobers

Does SA losing mean that both SA and SL are knocked out and we're confirmed through? Do we need to reach a certain run-rate?

For some reason England seem to be playing well. At least if we have to beat them they will be in a 'we don't care' situation where they're through anyway.

Last edited:

Max Peters

Club Captain
South Africa are definitely knocked out, however for Sri Lanka to get through, I think that England have to win by a huge amount. I'm pretty sure run rate does come into play.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I think this is how it works:

England win - England and Sri Lanka.
Tie/Draw - England and New Zealand.
New Zealand win - England and New Zealand.

South Africa are defiantly out, but SL have a better NRR than NZ so if NZ lose they can't improve their's, hence SL will remain better.

Max Peters

Club Captain
Well the only reason Sri Lanka have a chance is because of that first game or else the 2 sides going through would have easily been decided.

Users who are viewing this thread