Cricket Academy Now Available

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yes it was at first until I realised at Matt confirmed I could just use the on disk players, edit the name and then unlink them. The hardest part was going through lists of funny names on t'internet to add to all the 12th man names I'd got.
I have worries about how the team's will work but I'd imagine I can alter the amount of players per team to get teams right for career, once we know more.
Obviously there's a lot of things still to be done. Equipment and accessories, not to mention making the 20+ teams and assigning the players to the teams. I'm pretty much stuck for the male players now until teams or equipment are unlocked.

What i meant was, since we dont know the structure of career yet including number of teams, levels, progression etc. it seems odd to spend a lot of time making "career" teams, no?

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Well I guess they're just 400 players atm. Obviously when we know more I can change the way they're assigned. If I can't use them somehow in career I'm sure I'll be able to use them in a custom competition. As well as the 20 teams I may also make 8 franchise teams and mix up some of the 400 players into the 8 teams.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Your opponent will be the same gender as you - there won't be an option for mixed teams or men vs women matches.

We've set things up with the intention of a bit of head room, so that the very best players will be in the 90s rather than all maxing out at 100 - but it's also set that both the best rated female and male players would be in that region. Otherwise, if they were on an absolute scale, you couldn't have the same degree of variation - the fastest female bowler would be a medium pacer on the men's scale, so combined over all ratings you'd not have much room to show the variation of players in comparison to themselves.

this is so heartening and i am glad you haven't gone down the route of giving them cartoonishly male-like strength / bowling-speeds.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
With regard to bowling speed. I assumed that the fastest bowler would be maxed at say 95mph. So a player maxed at 100% could bowl at 95mph. With it scaling down so 50% would be 47mph. So for women i would assume if the fastest female bowler in real life bowls at 80mph then a player maxed at 100% would bowl at 80mph, again scaling it down.
This is pretty much it.

The same thing applies in terms of the different bowler types - if you max out a Medium bowler, you will be bowling around the mid-point of a Fast Medium bowler. For female players the scale is a bit flatter - with ~25km/h between a 0 rated medium bowler and the fastest fast bowler; compared to ~50km/h for the male equivalent.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
That's pretty much how I saw it Matt. I'd invisaged scenarios where a maxed out medium would be faster than a mined out ( is that a phrase?!) Fast medium. I had also thought that a woman rated 80 would be on or around the same as 65 for men, and although that won't apply as cross gender games aren't available its nice to know I'm on the same page. Also if customisable competitions and the Academy itself are available in career it would mean I could rotate players and formats year on year an even add more players. The amount of statistical info available to be graphically displayed would be massive! I'm actually getting rather excited!!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is pretty much it.

The same thing applies in terms of the different bowler types - if you max out a Medium bowler, you will be bowling around the mid-point of a Fast Medium bowler. For female players the scale is a bit flatter - with ~25km/h between a 0 rated medium bowler and the fastest fast bowler; compared to ~50km/h for the male equivalent.

Matt, would appreciate it if you can also put a cap on the maximum variation allowed in bowling speeds for a given bowler type. Currently the fast bowlers can have a bowling speed varying from 116 kph to 155 kph, which is way too much given it's not easy to pick up change in speed in a video game. It would be great if the max speed variation for any bowler type is no more than say 20 kph, so the fast bowlers can bowl between 135-155 kph, Fast Mediums can vary their pace between 125-140 kph and Medium pacers could range from 115-130 kph.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
The only problem with that is that some fast bowlers do have a big variation especially in t20 games. Tymal Mills Bowled a few in low 60s the other day along with some at 90+. Generally speaking i agree with what youre saying but it does happen.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The only problem with that is that some fast bowlers do have a big variation especially in t20 games. Tymal Mills Bowled a few in low 60s the other day along with some at 90+. Generally speaking i agree with what youre saying but it does happen.

You have to make some considerations for a video game and adapt accordingly. In real life you can pick up cues from a bowler and adjust to a slower delivery, but in a video game you don't have any way to pick a slower ball especially for faster bowlers where you have to react quite fast. This reduces batting to a guessing game, especially online, where you pre-mediate and hope you guess correctly and hammer a normal/faster delivery.

chaman82

County Cricketer
@cricket_online @Ajh1977 i would say such variation as Mills got should ONLY be available to bowler's who are very skilled at the slower ball, in perfect rhythm etc. so such variation is very rare and most bowlers, on most days, in most spells, are in a much narrower range.

Extremely important to get this speed variation correct...as said it should be very very rare and difficult to have a speed diff of more than 25kmph

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
@blockerdave Thats pretty much what I meant. Bowling speed alone won't give you a 90mph bowler. Stamina and strength as well as the ability to deliver the ball (both user input and in game player) would definitely have an impact in overall speed. Simply setting bowling speed to max shouldn't be a guarantee of pace. Adding to that if all attributes were set to create a world class speedster, if his slower rating was 100 then that could mean a 50% reduction in speed, however if his slower ball rating was 0 it would not reduce the speed at all. At 50 rating it would have a 25% reduction. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 149013

Your opponent will be the same gender as you - there won't be an option for mixed teams or men vs women matches.

We've set things up with the intention of a bit of head room, so that the very best players will be in the 90s rather than all maxing out at 100 - but it's also set that both the best rated female and male players would be in that region. Otherwise, if they were on an absolute scale, you couldn't have the same degree of variation - the fastest female bowler would be a medium pacer on the men's scale, so combined over all ratings you'd not have much room to show the variation of players in comparison to themselves.
Just one question, having no mixed teams would that be the case for online custom teams? Makes sense to me for career, offline. The skills are also perfectly thought out and more like real life cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread