Don Bradman Cricket 17 Releasing December 2016 on PS4, Xbox One and PC

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
In the same way, my opinion that 'Duke Ellington produced his best work after the age of 26 when moving from the mellow "Pastor's Flanks" style to the more upbeat "Flogged Starfish" rhythm' isn't hurting anyone either, but since I made up every word of that sentence it doesn't help much.

I'm genuinely interested in the source of the opinion ie whether it's "I've always used my PC for point and click strategy games so I I'm more comfortable with a controller on the console" or "technical point x leads to performance y making platform z better/worse" because if it's the latter it would be new to me and I'd have learned something and I'd have something to consider when deciding what to buy later in the year when I will need something to play DBC17.

Asking questions to get information is how we learn, and become better more interesting people. It also avoids us becoming- to choose an example entirely at random that doesn't refer to anyone of course - a tedious, tiresome attention seeker with a hair-trigger for offence and being constitutionally incapable of adding anything of worth to any conversation, ever. Because I mean, who'd want to be that person?

D

Deleted member 149013

I think you described me well, especially wanting attention well I can’t help it not going to apologise for that, well not all the time buts it’s nice every now and again.

College or university are great learning tools but the art of conversation is not what you are doing I’m sorry to say you are correcting his opinion to one that you find acceptable or can relate better with.

BA did recommend a console, if you can upgrade your PC well that will be great because you can stick with PC gaming which I would imagine would make your happier. Make you happier, sorry i'm half asleep.

Anyway,
Good morning BlockerDave. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I have absolutely no opinion on their opinion.

I was literally just trying to ascertain if there was a technical consideration I should be aware of as I am still deciding about my next platform purchase.

RedskinsUK

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm genuinely interested in the source of the opinion ie whether it's "I've always used my PC for point and click strategy games so I I'm more comfortable with a controller on the console" or "technical point x leads to performance y making platform z better/worse" because if it's the latter it would be new to me and I'd have learned something and I'd have something to consider when deciding what to buy later in the year when I will need something to play DBC17.

You do make a good point.
I played many strategy games on my old laptop like Company of Heroes, C&C, Star Wars Supremacy but found that for sports and Shooters consoles were better for me especially when playing Madden, FIFA, F1 2015, COD, Battlefield & Battlefront.

Having played cricket for several years DBC14 felt far more natural and more like a simulator on console than PC.

Hope that helps blockerdave

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You do make a good point.
I played many strategy games on my old laptop like Company of Heroes, C&C, Star Wars Supremacy but found that for sports and Shooters consoles were better for me especially when playing Madden, FIFA, F1 2015, COD, Battlefield & Battlefront.

Having played cricket for several years DBC14 felt far more natural and more like a simulator on console than PC.

Hope that helps blockerdave

It's does, thank you!

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I can see the point in a way; some things work better on a big TV screen sitting on the couch and others work better sitting close to a much smaller screen with a keyboard and mouse, or whatever other peripheral you'd use. I primarily play racing games and I'm PC only for that now; because I can sit closer to the screen (that matters for lots of reasons involving complicated things like field of view) and because they usually have much greater support for wheels and other useful peripherals that don't work on consoles. There's also the fact that iracing isn't a console game, but even if it was I'd stick to my PC for it. I've recently got into space sim type games (including some old ones where a big screen isn't really any help); ignoring the fact that they are basically PC only it works better sitting close to a screen with a joystick. On the other side games like FIFA work much better sitting on a sofa with a few pals after you've had a few beers, it doesn't work as much as a PC game IMO. I don't think its really the system that you're playing something on, but the ambience that you're playing something in that's important, if you catch my drift.

Also can we stop with the "that's his opinion!!" stuff; this is an internet forum, the whole point is to talk to each other about stuff. It'd be incredibly boring if all we did was said what we think and not ask other people why they think that...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't think its really the system that you're playing something on, but the ambience that you're playing something in that's important, if you catch my drift.

See, and that was exactly what i was trying to get to :) That i understand - i was just checking that is wasn't instead a technical issue & something I should know

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
See, and that was exactly what i was trying to get to :) That i understand - i was just checking that is wasn't instead a technical issue & something I should know

Don't think there's a technical issue but these are the key points I would consider before making a purchase either way...

1. Price Point - If your main objective is to purchase a system exclusively or mainly to play games then consoles will be much cheaper in the long run. You can get a console on sale (e.g., Black Friday or Boxing Day etc.) which costs the same amount as a low end PC. Plus you don't need to worry about upgrading your system as the console will play the PS$/XBOne games till it dies. PC may need upgrades to graphics driver, memory etc. to keep up with future iterations.

2. Alternate Usage - I touched upon this point earlier but this deserves its own discussion point, i.e. how do you intend to use the system. Gone are the days when you purchased a gaming console or a gaming PC exclusively for playing games. Majority of the people will use the system for other things and it may determine which option you would want to go for. If you are into IT or media or graphics designing etc. which requires you to have a high end PC the decision is simple - go for the PC as you essentially get the gaming PC for free. If you are in the market for a media center or a media streaming device for home entertainment I would go for a console. E.g., I went for PS3 way back as I was looking for a Blue Ray player and I got the PS3 on sale for literally the same price as a Sony Blu Ray player.

3. Availability of games on the system - There are a lot of games which don't come out on PC (e.g. Madden). Conversely there are games which are PC exclusive such as Tennis Elbow or Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. There are also PS3/PS4 and XB360/XBOne exclusives (Halo only available on XBox or Unchartered/MLB The Show only available on PS). You may want to see which games you are into before making the decision.

4. Portability - If you travel quite a lot then a gaming PC will be more convenient than lugging your gaming console along with you.

5. Region Locking - This is a key one for cricket video gaming fans and this was the main reason I leaned towards PS. PS3 allowed you to play PS3 games from any region whereas XB360 region locked the games. With cricket games not available in North America the decision was a simple one for me. This would also be a plus for PC. Make sure you know what the ramifications of playing games from a different region are (e.g., on PS3/PS4 you will have to open a PSN account in the region the game is originally from to install patches or to purchase DLCs). My experience is that PS3/PS4 are generally better in that respect compared to XBox but PC definitely has a huge advantage.

6. Mods - If you are into modding games and that's one your main priorities as a gamer then PC is the system for you. Consoles are closed and I don't expect games to be modded heavily on consoles.

There are additional things that you may want to consider such as backward compatibility (XBOne is making some XB360 games available) or a cloud offering etc. but at a high level the above points should cover the main ones.

Last edited:

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
I`m much the same .

All my life Ive only played games on my Trusty Old PC , FPS Shooters the lot .

And then I discovered the PS3 , and got used to the controller , sitting cosy on the big Sofa with the big screen , playing Sports Games and Gran Turismo.

I`ve tried the FPS`s on the Console , but cannot retrain my hands after years of mouse and keyboard Counterstriking :)

Same thing with the Strategy type games and all their shortcuts etc . It just seems to me as if they make sense on a PC .

I`m in the lucky position , where I have a secondhand PS4 , and a PC that will sort of borderline play the game . But in the end the Coziness of the Lounge will probably win the fight.

Or I have to move the box to the living room , and play of the Console`s Controller :)

D

Deleted member 149013

I will apologise BlockerDave, I was under the wrong impression to what your intentions were.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Don't think there's a technical issue but these are the key points I would consider before making a purchase either way...

1. Price Point - If your main objective is to purchase a system exclusively or mainly to play games then consoles will be much cheaper in the long run. You can get a console on sale (e.g., Black Friday or Boxing Day etc.) which costs the same amount as a low end PC. Plus you don't need to worry about upgrading your system as the console will play the PS$/XBOne games till it dies. PC may need upgrades to graphics driver, memory etc. to keep up with future iterations.

2. Alternate Usage - I touched upon this point earlier but this deserves its own discussion point, i.e. how do you intend to use the system. Gone are the days when you purchased a gaming console or a gaming PC exclusively for playing games. Majority of the people will use the system for other things and it may determine which option you would want to go for. If you are into IT or media or graphics designing etc. which requires you to have a high end PC the decision is simple - go for the PC as you essentially get the gaming PC for free. If you are in the market for a media center or a media streaming device for home entertainment I would go for a console. E.g., I went for PS3 way back as I was looking for a Blue Ray player and I got the PS3 on sale for literally the same price as a Sony Blu Ray player.

3. Availability of games on the system - There are a lot of games which don't come out on PC (e.g. Madden). Conversely there are games which are PC exclusive such as Tennis Elbow or Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. There are also PS3/PS4 and XB360/XBOne exclusives (Halo only available on XBox or Unchartered/MLB The Show only available on PS). You may want to see which games you are into before making the decision.

4. Portability - If you travel quite a lot then a gaming PC will be more convenient than lugging your gaming console along with you.

5. Region Locking - This is a key one for cricket video gaming fans and this was the main reason I leaned towards PS. PS3 allowed you to play PS3 games from any region whereas XB360 region locked the games. With cricket games not available in North America the decision was a simple one for me. This would also be a plus for PC. Make sure you know what the ramifications of playing games from a different region are (e.g., on PS3/PS4 you will have to open a PSN account in the region the game is originally from to install patches or to purchase DLCs). My experience is that PS3/PS4 are generally better in that respect compared to XBox but PC definitely has a huge advantage.

6. Mods - If you are into modding games and that's one your main priorities as a gamer then PC is the system for you. Consoles are closed and I don't expect games to be modded heavily on consoles.

There are additional things that you may want to consider such as backward compatibility (XBOne is making some XB360 games available) or a cloud offering etc. but at a high level the above points should cover the main ones.

Cheers, this is helpful.

Priority for me is really:

I need something I can set up in my living room, allowing for the fact I have a toddler and most of the time i get to play is in the evening & the mrs might be watching tv and we're on the sofa together...
I'd like to gamecap if poss
I'd like not to need to upgrade (much) for at least one other iteration (if it comes) after DBC17
I do web & other dev but nothing graphics intensive and my current laptop does what it needs to
Mods are definitely important to me, and though i'm intrigued about what @BigAntStudios had to say about customisation i'd love more detail on that before going a console route: can i really make the sort of mods I made (south africa rebel tour logos and kits, random sponsors, retro bats) and downloaded (WSC 70s&80s kits, 90s test kits & sponsors, retro bats) and especially @francobaldo1 absolutely amazing hack - so does the customisation include include gameplay??

Actually, my circumstance and set up mean a high-end gaming laptop is actually the best choice from the point of view of where, when and how i get to play, but equally i understand that's far and away the least value for money option, and I am leaning heavily towards a high-end pc and finding a way to get it in the room safe from little blocker's mischevious grasp and figure out a way to sort a monitor.

equally i may of course buy console and just tell mrsblocker to read a book. (if i stop posting, you'll know that's what i did and i am now dead.)

unless i see an amazing deal somewhere i' unlikely to make any purchase until there are more details about release date (esp. delay on PC) & customisation on console.

anyhoo thanks to you, @RedskinsUK & @Acid Burn for your input, lots to think about. and apologies to the other user's for hijacking this into a "what shall i buy thread"...

D

Deleted member 149013

Aww bless, no doubt you can’t wait to play cricket in the garden with little Blocker.:)
I didn't know you were a father, you and your wife must be very proud. I’m sure you have enough on your plate without me prodding at you.

You have to do what makes you happy with concern to how you will play DBC17. (PC fortune cookie)

I had a PS2 the Crash Bandicoot days. I bought a 360 didn’t like it so got rid, then went back to PlayStation. One of the games I loved the most was guitar hero I think I had all of them that’s just because I play guitar although at the moment one of the strings is broke. Also really enjoyed RDR.

Then to PS4, which is collecting dust at the moment haven’t had any real time for gaming lately. I have GTA plus Far Cry Primal. I’ve gone off football so I highly doubt I will be buying anymore Fifa games.
The only other sport I play is golf, I don’t have a clue about real golf I wouldn’t be able to construct a worthy conversation about it. The Rory Mcllroy game is meant to be a flop so I have avoided it.

Playing Golf on GTA is much better. :lol
When it rains it looks amazing, the graphics.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The only other sport I play is golf, I don’t have a clue about real golf I wouldn’t be able to construct a worthy conversation about it. The Rory Mcllroy game is meant to be a flop so I have avoided it.

Playing Golf on GTA is much better. :lol
When it rains it looks amazing, the graphics.

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour is a pretty decent game. I have it and play it often. The knock against RM PGA when it released was that it didn't have much content and game modes. Over the last few months EA have patched in most of the game and have added a few more golf courses. If you are after a golf simulation I can say without hesitation go for Rory McIlroy. RM PGA Tour in Tour mode (or with Advanced swing) is a thing of beauty. The price has dropped quite a bit and it was on sale recently for $16 and if you are a golf fan I would recommend it.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i'm unlikely to make any purchase until there are more details about release date (esp. delay on PC) & customization on console.

Legit. Just wait... The console thing intrigues me the most, if they can do-away with having after-market mods on PC I'm all-in and I can kick everyone out of the living room while I kick Matt ass on the digital pitch.

Gurjot95

National Board President
You'll have enough customisation that "mods" will likely not exist - if that's the reason for updating a PC, then I'd go for a console.
As much as this is going to be a big leap for consoles and modding in general, I am not particularly fan of customization using in game tools. I hope, just because we will have enough customization in game, we wouldn't be restricted to external mods due to this. You can't produce the same quality of mods using in game editors with those produced using external tools such as photoshop. No matter how wide variety of tools are available within the academy, there are going to be restrictions to certain elements. The reason why I am so vocal regarding external mod support for games is because I have developed my career in graphic designing in recent years and I am very passionate in participating in modding community in coming months but it will be little disappointing for me (and whole community) to be limited by certain number of mods that can be made within academy only. I am probably going to be bashed for this comment but no matter how big piece of turd was C07, it was the modding community that kept it alive for several years. So if there are going to be customization available in-game, that's fantastic but please don't restrict those modders that can produce quality of work using their favourite tools outside game environment.

Users who are viewing this thread