India v England 2008

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
England are poor tactically and selection wise. Not sure picking players on whims of county fans is going to change much, it would be same story, different names.

As for the current crop

Bell - solid enough, but doesn't go on to make big match-winning scores (often/at all)

Prior - stupid pinch-hitting theory needs knocking on the head and has been, not sure he's the right keeper to bat down the order

Shah - still not 100% convinced he's good enough, the effective 20-20 match stituation seemed to suit him

Pietersen - captaincy may take it's toll on him, before and early in this series he was averaging 50+ as captain, now it's down to 36

Collingwood - no doubt about his place, one of few definites, but where to bat him

Bopara - need to find a slot for him, batting at eight is a waste of someone who won't bowl much

Flintoff - batting up the order is ok, needs to hit bowling form and take more wickets - an ongoing weakness

Patel - bit too bits n pieces for my liking. Unless England select a fixed number of batsmen and he plays as one and as second spinner then I'd dump him

Broad - poor in Tests, arguably our only decent ODI bowler so far

Harmison - rightly dumped, his hero return in England was a waste of time as many of us suspect(ed) it would/will be a different story in India. Never likely to be accurate or consistent enough to trouble Indian batsmen in India

Swann - not the frontline spinner I would hope for, but do we have one. Wasted batting at ten

Anderson - still not consistent enough, too expensive and an expensive passenger

So in essence I think we've packed in way too many all-rounders, ONE bowler who's matching the Indian bowlers and that's not enough to be competitive, and frankly the individuals may be the best available but they certainly make a poor team. We're trying to play too many all-rounders (bits n pieces in some cases) - Prior, Swann, Patel, Flintoff, Collingwood, Broad and Bopara. I'd say it probably has to be Swann or Patel, neither is strong enough to be first choice spinner and we need a better spinner than both of them in India. Our quick bowlers aren't doing the business, Broad apart, so why include (at the start) so many of them? Do all the players have a defined role? Patel and Bopara seem merely to be fitted in where convenient as theoretical good ODI players, but if we have Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood and Shah then do we need both of them?

I think it's about time England started choosing either/or. Replace Swann or Patel with a frontline spinner regardless of batting. If we dumped Patel for a spinner then the either/or between Patel and Bopara becomes redundant. Or drop Bopara and play a spinner, that might work better. And bring in a keeper who can bat effectively like Nixon down the order, except we didn't take one!

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I hear Ishant is still looking for barber who cut his hair.

For tomorrow lets bring in Irfan for Munaf. No matter what Munaf does hes just not good sight. You dont wanna bump into Ishant and Munaf in dark alley in night. I am sure you will be scared to death by their looks.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Munaf kind of looks like Mohinder Suresh out of Heroes...

MOHINDER_SURESH.jpg

Ishant's Haircut makes him look somewhat less intimidating IMO.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Indian team should not experiment and should have the series 7-0.

pathan brothers in the team tomorrow? it will be again a good match

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think we should drop Munaf, He is bowling better than ever and it would be stupid IMO if we dropped him because we might as well make the most out of his good form.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Munaf is really a good bowler but i dont understand why is he compared to G Mcgrath < he was a legend of one time but this type of comparison stood up with every new bowler isn't it? Munaf said the same in a news interview "

hoping I Pathan make a dashing comeback!!

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
Munaf is really a good bowler but i dont understand why is he compared to G Mcgrath < he was a legend of one time but this type of comparison stood up with every new bowler isn't it? Munaf said the same in a news interview "

He is compared to Mcgrath because of his bowling action and his good line and length(in few match)

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
That was Munaf of old days untill he became Dadaji that he was. Now he is getting back so lets just rest him and let his confidence stay like it is. More so he is prone to injuries.

Sureshot

Executive member
England are poor tactically and selection wise. Not sure picking players on whims of county fans is going to change much, it would be same story, different names.

As for the current crop

Bell - solid enough, but doesn't go on to make big match-winning scores (often/at all)

Prior - stupid pinch-hitting theory needs knocking on the head and has been, not sure he's the right keeper to bat down the order I'd be amazed if Steve Davies doesn't get a chance in the next 12-18 months.

Shah - still not 100% convinced he's good enough, the effective 20-20 match stituation seemed to suit him

Pietersen - captaincy may take it's toll on him, before and early in this series he was averaging 50+ as captain, now it's down to 36

Collingwood - no doubt about his place, one of few definites, but where to bat him I beg to differ, I think his place is under massive threat. Wonderful fielder and has been an excellent ODI player in the past. But neither his batting or bowling are in top shape at the moment. I know he's not a frontline bowler, but he has had times where his bowling has kept him in the side.

Bopara - need to find a slot for him, batting at eight is a waste of someone who won't bowl much The opening chance worked I think. We have to find a way to utilise his talents, he has a wonderful natural hitting talent.

Flintoff - batting up the order is ok, needs to hit bowling form and take more wickets - an ongoing weakness His bowling is far from a weakness. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...=2;template=results;type=bowling;view=innings I know he hasn't taken a bundle of wickets in 3 of the series 4 games, but his form before that proves he has that talent. Of all the things wrong with the England team, Flintoff's bowling is not one of them. His batting has come on a lot of late too. Just someone drill it into him to hit straight, he'll be a much better batsman.

Patel - bit too bits n pieces for my liking. Unless England select a fixed number of batsmen and he plays as one and as second spinner then I'd dump him Batting is his definite fort?, at 8, like Bopara, he is wasted. Needs to be about 5 or 6. I can see him taking Colly's place in the future.

Broad - poor in Tests, arguably our only decent ODI bowler so far

Harmison - rightly dumped, his hero return in England was a waste of time as many of us suspect(ed) it would/will be a different story in India. Never likely to be accurate or consistent enough to trouble Indian batsmen in India

Swann - not the frontline spinner I would hope for, but do we have one. Wasted batting at ten He's never shown his batting talents whilst playing for England. I don't think batting depth is a problem we have.

Anderson - still not consistent enough, too expensive and an expensive passenger Agree, I thought he'd turned a corner. It's a shame, like many of the squad, very talented.

Replies in bold. :)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I fail to understand why on earth are Luke Wright,Tim Ambrose and Alistair Cook still warming the bench ???

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I fail to understand why on earth are Luke Wright,Tim Ambrose and Alistair Cook still warming the bench ???

Simply aren't good enough, Cook is a good batsman but is hopeless in OD cricket as he just struggles to score quick enough, Ambrose isn't very good in my opinion, he's only there because Moores likes him. Luke Wright is there as a learning experience I feel, he has potential but so far has failed to impress in both domestic and international cricket.

cricketfrantic

School Cricketer
Munaf patel no doubt has improved a lot, he shows some intensity now. He can be a real good bowler, his line & length has been spot on more often than not. He must play as many game as possible for India before he runs out of gas:p

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors

He is compared to McGrath because mainly of his action and line and lentgh, However McGrath was/is 10 times more accutate than Munaf, When Munaf hits that line of lentgh of McGrath, He is just as dangerous as him with his bounce because of his height.

Hope Pathan can actually swing the ball if he plays.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Simply aren't good enough, Cook is a good batsman but is hopeless in OD cricket as he just struggles to score quick enough, Ambrose isn't very good in my opinion, he's only there because Moores likes him. Luke Wright is there as a learning experience I feel, he has potential but so far has failed to impress in both domestic and international cricket.
I don't know why there's this whole Cooks slow feel going on. Yes he is but so's Bell. As long as Cook scores runs I have no issue with him playing because the others could do with someone to just stick around. At least when he's in people like Shah now it's their role to score quickly.

I'm not saying he should be playing in the long term (because Trott has to come in, you know who is next to him in terms of List A averages? A certain IVA Richards :p) but in the short term he can definitely do a job. He already has a century, and has scored runs in the subcontinent. Plus with the tests coming up we might as well let him have a few knocks. I think Cook could develop into a good ODI cricketer if he gets some OD cricket down at Essex. He is after all only 23.

Users who are viewing this thread