Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Whilst would be nice it's so easy to change this option at start of batting/bowling session

Yeah that would do but the problem is that while batting I don't use aerial marker for the length and line,I just watch the ball and play and that's not possible now because if I enable the marker for the field then it also comes for batting as well which is not what I want...

ellgieff

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah that would do but the problem is that while batting I don't use aerial marker for the length and line,I just watch the ball and play and that's not possible now because if I enable the marker for the field then it also comes for batting as well which is not what I want...

So you can't disable it while you're batting, and then re-enable it while you're fielding?

gamer22

Club Captain
I wanted three things in the patch
1) flicks and glances not going in the air.
It's improved but still happens more than I had like to.
2) caught and Bowleds
Haven't been out caught and bowled yet..
3)AI bowling at middle and off mostly.
Didn't happen. No improvement at all in this department.

Also still haven't been able to get a batsman out at slips.

Not so happy with the patch. mixed feelings if you will.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
So you can't disable it while you're batting, and then re-enable it while you're fielding?

I can do that but I want the marker when I hit the ball on the field while batting...

ellgieff

Club Captain
I can do that but I want the marker when I hit the ball on the field while batting...

Oh, OK. I don't understand why, but I understand what you want :)

Jadel

Club Captain
Couldn't agree more. Batting has become less of a fun after the patch. Leg side shots (flick & glance) were fixed to travel along the ground but most of the other shots, especially cut & pull/hook, go in the air and you are dismissed sooner than later.

I think overall the game is more balanced now. But it certainly is less fun.

Batting is all lofted shots to the boundary or a fielder for me so I usually end up at 12 off 3 then out, or something similar.

Career spin bowling has been nerfed hard. It was silly before, really really silly. But now its just dull. I bowl maiden after maiden after maiden. Virtually no wickets to be seen.

Its definitely a mixed bag, sadly not the holy grail I was hoping for.

For me we are left with something similar to what we had before, A really good cricket game with some big issues. Its just that the issues have changed now.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Oh, OK. I don't understand why, but I understand what you want :)

When bowling its fine as the marker is there only for the fielding part and when batting I don't want that for batting part but just the fielding part hence the separate markers would me do that which is not possible right now..

ellgieff

Club Captain
I think overall the game is more balanced now. But it certainly is less fun.

Batting is all lofted shots to the boundary or a fielder for me so I usually end up at 12 off 3 then out, or something similar.

Career spin bowling has been nerfed hard. It was silly before, really really silly. But now its just dull. I bowl maiden after maiden after maiden. Virtually no wickets to be seen.

Its definitely a mixed bag, sadly not the holy grail I was hoping for.

For me we are left with something similar to what we had before, A really good cricket game with some big issues. Its just that the issues have changed now.

I'm having a different experience with career spin bowling - I'm still taking plenty of wickets, as well as conceding very few runs.

While I'm not guaranteed 5 wicket bags, the way I seemed to be prior to patch 2, I have had two 5 wicket bags, and a 9 wicket match haul (in FCC).

----------

When bowling its fine as the marker is there only for the fielding part and when batting I don't want that for batting part but just the fielding part hence the separate markers would me do that which is not possible right now..

I still don't understand why you want the marker when the AI is fielding, but not when you're playing a stroke.

*edit* I'm not demanding you explain, btw. Just saying I don't understand :)

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I still don't understand why you want the marker when the AI is fielding, but not when you're playing a stroke.

*edit* I'm not demanding you explain, btw. Just saying I don't understand :)

Because I am not able to see where the ball is going on the field and not able to guess the no.of runs that can be taken...Anyways would be nice if they add this as at the moment I am finding it difficult..

Rowdoss

Club Captain
Not sure I've ever hit a cut or pull shot on the ground. And I know my timing isn't that bad. I also can't hit a straight drive on the ground unless it's a full toss and even some of those have gone in the air.

Out of interest, how do you "know" for sure that your timing isnt bad?
I bat probably a little different to most.
I use batting close cam and i all but disregard the ball length indicator and rely on picking up the length from watching the flight of the ball.
I am always prepared to get forward and defend as my default action but if i see a ball i want to hit, i rely on my reflexes to play the appropriate shot.

I have more success playing pull shots along the ground when the ball isnt that short.. ie:still has a green indicator or a ball that is showing a red indicator but not that short, ie: not up near the shoulders.
Also i believe a lot of people disregard the importance of footwork. It isnt just a matter of going forward and back but also forward and across or back and across. It makes a huge difference in my opinion.
I wonder if people who keep skying pull shots "everytime" are
a) playing at balls that are too high and
b) not getting back and across enough and not playing the shot from the right position....

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Out of interest, how do you "know" for sure that your timing isnt bad?
I bat probably a little different to most.
I use batting close cam and i all but disregard the ball length indicator and rely on picking up the length from watching the flight of the ball.
I am always prepared to get forward and defend as my default action but if i see a ball i want to hit, i rely on my reflexes to play the appropriate shot.

I have more success playing pull shots along the ground when the ball isnt that short.. ie:still has a green indicator or a ball that is showing a red indicator but not that short, ie: not up near the shoulders.
Also i believe a lot of people disregard the importance of footwork. It isnt just a matter of going forward and back but also forward and across or back and across. It makes a huge difference in my opinion.
I wonder if people who keep skying pull shots "everytime" are
a) playing at balls that are too high and
b) not getting back and across enough and not playing the shot from the right position....

agree, i'm able to play a pull shot reasonably successfully. fact is in real life a pull shot the ball will be in the air for some time, so you have to be careful when playing it if they've got fielders there.

similarly initially post-patch 2 (and on PC) i was having a lot of trouble with the cut shot, edging it more often than not whereas before i could play it nigh-on risk free. but by being more careful in selection of what balls i play the shot to, i've been hitting some good cut shots now.

timing seems to be a bit less forgiving, so we just have to be careful in shot selection.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I have also been experimenting with different pitch conditions - to be honest neither batting or bowling seems to be different on any conditions.

I've also noticed that pitch conditions don't really seem to vary too much. I remember playing Shane Warne (Brian Lara) '99 and things played very differently (and credibly) across the pitch types.

Damp: It kept low and you couldn't quite get the pace (insinuating the bowler wouldn't quite be able to generate so much pace running in on the wet). Spinners fairly ineffectual except for being a change of pace to using pace bowlers.

Green: Much more lateral movement off the pitch for pace and spin. Seemed to be a smaller timing window, so more wickets fell.

Normal: A good balanced pitch for batting and both bowling types, leaning more towards pacers than spinners.

Hard: More bounce, pace and a smaller timing window for facing the quickest bowlers. Could really crack the ball off the bat too.

Dusty: A bouncy spinning wicket, where you needed to get your timing much more on the money for facing the spinners and pace still had something to offer although it was noticeably better to have an extra spinner for these games. The ball could be thumped well if you timed it, but that was again slightly harder to time than Normal.

All of these wicket types played fairly accurately to how they promised back then and made the game all the more enjoyable. The ball travelled off the pitch in ways that directly related to the selected conditions.

I'd almost recommend having a few of the BA guys playing a couple of games of that old classic on various conditions and seeing just how well balanced those differences are.

I love the current game and yes it's cricket as we've never seen before, although the best things in life have a little of the old and a little of the new.

Last edited:

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Yes it may well be the differences in pitch conditions are there and are realistic but in video game the differences need to be exaggerated slightly so we can appreciate them?

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
In my experience the pitch differences are quite subtle. In my stop start career on Xbox I have played the first game if the season 3 times and each time the pitch and conditions were different. First time I think I got 6 wickets in the match of which 4 were caught behind and had numerous play and misses. I also got done whilst batting by a perfect outswinger and nicked off.

2nd time the pitch was like a road and I couldn't even beat the bat let alone get a nick. Got 2 wickets in the match with slower balls.

The pitches didn't look drastically different but I was happy that they certainly behaved differently.

srk121

International Coach
Yes it may well be the differences in pitch conditions are there and are realistic but in video game the differences need to be exaggerated slightly so we can appreciate them?

That's a valid point. A bit of exaggeration with pitches will make a mark of difference and will change people perspective on pitch behaviour. Just noteable changes required not unrealistic behaviour

Users who are viewing this thread