RUGBY Rugby Challenge 4

TomW777

Club Captain
Just saw it. $49.99. I might get it when it goes on sale, or maybe I'll wait for the Big Ant/ Nacon rugby game :)
If you have already got RC3 (or 1 or 2 for that matter) I would honestly just wait for the Big Ant game unless there is a massive sale. RC4 has slightly better graphics but pretty much the same gameplay as the previous titles & substantially less licenses.

I'm pretty excited about Big Ant game - their Rugby League Live series while far from perfect had far better gameplay than Rugby 20 or RC4. Big Ant's creation tools also mean we would be able finally get all the club & international teams. I guess it will be a few years away - most likely 2023 to coincide with the next RWC in France.

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I do think it's funny when, in the description, they say "Over 12 prestigious competitions". So what is the number then? 13? 20? 12 1/2? :lol

TomW777

Club Captain
I do think it's funny when, in the description, they say "Over 12 prestigious competitions". So what is the number then? 13? 20? 12 1/2? :lol
Off the top of my head I am struggling to even come up with 12 licenses comps....and even then competitions like Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship are missing teams like Argentina etc. Next time I play I will have to do a count up.

TomW777

Club Captain
Off the top of my head I am struggling to even come up with 12 licenses comps....and even then competitions like Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship are missing teams like Argentina etc. Next time I play I will have to do a count up.
On a side note it is slightly curious that Argentina are the only team ranked in the top 20 not to be licenced in either RC4 or Rugby 20 given Agustin Pichot's big push to improve rugby video games.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
If you have already got RC3 (or 1 or 2 for that matter) I would honestly just wait for the Big Ant game unless there is a massive sale. RC4 has slightly better graphics but pretty much the same gameplay as the previous titles & substantially less licenses.

I'm pretty excited about Big Ant game - their Rugby League Live series while far from perfect had far better gameplay than Rugby 20 or RC4. Big Ant's creation tools also mean we would be able finally get all the club & international teams. I guess it will be a few years away - most likely 2023 to coincide with the next RWC in France.
I didn't get RC3 because the general consensus at the time was that it was marginally better than RC2 that I was playing at the time. Intention was to miss getting RC3 and just wait for RC4 to release. Debating wether to get RC4 now......or maybe a cheap and cheerful used RC3. What would your call be? RC3 or RC4?

TomW777

Club Captain
I didn't get RC3 because the general consensus at the time was that it was marginally better than RC2 that I was playing at the time. Intention was to miss getting RC3 and just wait for RC4 to release. Debating wether to get RC4 now......or maybe a cheap and cheerful used RC3. What would your call be? RC3 or RC4?
If you can pick up RC3 significantly cheaper than RC4 then I would go with RC3. The gameplay & graphics are just too broadly similar to justify paying full price if you are on a budget. Obviously there will be some sacrifices like rosters & kits etc will be 3 or 4 yrs out of date (I don't know how much that bothers you?). On the flip side RC3 does have more licences - e.g. the NZ Mitre 10 Cup & the Australian NRC so you get far more teams & their associated stadiums.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
If you can pick up RC3 significantly cheaper than RC4 then I would go with RC3. The gameplay & graphics are just too broadly similar to justify paying full price if you are on a budget. Obviously there will be some sacrifices like rosters & kits etc will be 3 or 4 yrs out of date (I don't know how much that bothers you?). On the flip side RC3 does have more licences - e.g. the NZ Mitre 10 Cup & the Australian NRC so you get far more teams & their associated stadiums.
Thank you for replying. I'm not too concerned about up to date squads, (can I presume that I can make my own up to date/renamed squads in the games player editor). Looks like I'm looking to get the RC3 version. My last rugby game purchase was rugby 20......which I found rather underwhelming.

TomW777

Club Captain
Thank you for replying. I'm not too concerned about up to date squads, (can I presume that I can make my own up to date/renamed squads in the games player editor). Looks like I'm looking to get the RC3 version. My last rugby game purchase was rugby 20......which I found rather underwhelming.
Yeah that is correct - you can create you own squads in the Playerhub (but keep in mind there aren't the same level of tools as in Big Ant games). In truth there probably are some fairly up to date squads that other people have shared . I haven't played RC3 2018/19 but at that point people had shared up to date squads for most of the teams I was interested in.
Never played Rugby 20 myself as I was put off by the negative reviews. The best rugby game is still Rugby 08 back on my ps2.

As a wildcard you could think about getting Rugby League Live 3 or 4 instead which in my opinion plays a lot better than either Union series this generation.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Yeah that is correct - you can create you own squads in the Playerhub (but keep in mind there aren't the same level of tools as in Big Ant games). In truth there probably are some fairly up to date squads that other people have shared . I haven't played RC3 2018/19 but at that point people had shared up to date squads for most of the teams I was interested in.
Never played Rugby 20 myself as I was put off by the negative reviews. The best rugby game is still Rugby 08 back on my ps2.

As a wildcard you could think about getting Rugby League Live 3 or 4 instead which in my opinion plays a lot better than either Union series this generation.
I've got RLL4. And, while I like it, I prefer the union game. Have got to agree that Rugby 08 on PS 2 was a good game. I sold the PS 2 to get an XBox but kept all of my PS 2 games......dunno why. I'm getting all nostalgic in my older years and I'm looking to get a used PS 2 so that I can play games like Rugby 08......EA Cricket 05.....EA Cricket 07 and more.

TomW777

Club Captain
I've got RLL4. And, while I like it, I prefer the union game. Have got to agree that Rugby 08 on PS 2 was a good game. I sold the PS 2 to get an XBox but kept all of my PS 2 games......dunno why. I'm getting all nostalgic in my older years and I'm looking to get a used PS 2 so that I can play games like Rugby 08......EA Cricket 05.....EA Cricket 07 and more.
Yeah I'm a bit of a nostalgic too. Once a year I probably get my PS2 out & play the old classics like Rugby 08, Jonah Lomu Rugby etc. Still crazy how good Jonah Lomu is given it is almost 25 yrs old! .

Users who are viewing this thread