Super 8 Group F (Australia, Sri Lanka, India, West Indies)

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
MuchMore has a good point. The Aussie bowling attack is unlike any other in recent cricket. 3 ridiculously fast quicks who are backed up by Watto and a decent leggie.

This is Australia's tournament, I have no doubt that they will win it, unless we see a very special performance in a semi-final to knock them out.

The Aussie attack are`nt as invincible as they have been made to look by the Indians. The Indian T20 lineup bats with their brains left in their kitbags. None of them even showed the will to fight it out for a couple of overs. Johnson hardly looked menacing and even Nannes got hit in his second spell. It only required a couple of batsmen to stay there till Nannes and Tait finished with their first spell. Johnson, Watson and Smith would hardly have been unscorable had they bowled to the top order but the foolish top order did not even have the sense to wait for the weaker bowlers to bowl and the game was done and dusted by then.

I don`t think the short delivery had anything to do with the defeat yesterday. We played pathetic cricket. Our T20 batting lineup is a bunch of jokers. They feel that they can go out and explode from the word go. Yusuf Pathan is hardly international class and he should`nt be anywhere near that national side in any format. Ravindra Jadeja might have had a bad day but he is someone who can be groomed for the more important formats unlike Yusuf who clearly is a toothless batsman against quality bowling. Rohit Sharma has always been a better prospect (talent-wise) than Raina. He clearly has more time when he is facing quality pace unlike Raina whose game basically revolves around powering the ball over midwicket which is why he will not be regularly successful on the big stage on pitches with bounce. To Raina`s credit, he did make use of his chances in the past season unlike Rohit. Rohit, if he sorts his temperament out, will be the more successful batsman in Aussie/SA/English conditions. Murali Vijay is also someone who will eventually make the cut as a test batsman. However, I feel that the hundred he scored in the IPL will do more harm than good to him being groomed as a test cricket prospect. We should`nt spoil players like Vijay who look compact players technically by forcing them to play T20 cricket. We should have picked Uthappa instead. Vijay is too valuable a batsman to be spoilt to T20 cricket. The same goes with budding pacemen. I can say without hesitation that the IPL ruined Ishant Sharma. Sharma`s bowling before and after IPL-1 has been chalk and cheese. For a batsman, it is better to start of being a good test match batsman first and then adjust to T20s which certainly would make you a more successful batsman even in T20s.

I don`t care about what we do in this tournament. I`m just against short sighted thinking on part of the selectors and the lack of will on the part of our batsman to learn from past mistakes. I don`t think these guys cannot play short stuff, they just cannot play attacking strokes against the short pitched bowling which is why I cannot understand why so many of them are actually attempting half hearted attempts at the hook/pull or slogging cross batted against the short stuff when the bowler can only bowl one of those in one over.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If Australia beat SL and India manage to beat WI, the India-SL game will be a quarterfinal.

Wait, Australia havent played the Windies yet. Its T20, anything can happen there. For India, its simple. Win both, and almost go to semis. Lose any one, and pack your bags for home.

I am expecting India to play more sensibly tomorrow against WI fast bowlers. We should bat first tomorrow. All teams batting first at Keninston Oval (Barbados) have been winning matches (Aus vs Ban, Aus vs India, SL vs WI, NZ vs Pak, etc). I can see Jadeja dropped tomorrow. I wish they play Umesh Yadav for Jadeja. Pace would certainly help and Yadav has got it. Dhoni should get the team selection right most crucially.

SaiSrini added 1 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

MY Predictions: SL beating Australia by 15-30 runs.
WI beating India by 5-10 runs or 1-3 wickets.

The first one looks unlikely (Australia are red hot and it will take some stopping of them). Hope the second one is reversed:D

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
India's best chance of making the semis is Australia winning all three of their matches. That way, if they beat West Indies and Sri Lanka, they automatically qualify for the semis without the worry of NRR.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
India's best chance of making the semis is Australia winning all three of their matches. That way, if they beat West Indies and Sri Lanka, they automatically qualify for the semis without the worry of NRR.

If Australia beat SL and lose to W Indies (and we win both our games), we still make it without the worry of NRR (both us and Australia end up with 2 wins each and the rest end up with 1 each). If Australia lose to SL but beat WI, things get highly complicated (then we must hope to improve our NRR to above either of Australia or SL and also winning both our games). Anyways, our focus must be on winning both games and by good margins. If we win both, we deserve the semis spot. We did it in the first edition where we lost to NZ in the first match but beat England and South Africa convincingly to make it to the semis.

Last edited:

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
What happens if either one of the games or both are washed out tomorrow?

Flame_Blader1

Club Cricketer

If both games are washed out then India will have to beat SL by a huge margin on Tuesday (extremely unlikely) to make it. And the if Aus beat WI they go in. However if WI beat Aus by a huge margin (again extremely unlikely) then they can also go in.

It's an interesting question though. I just looked at the cricinfo fixtures and it is due to rain tomorrow.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

We will get to that if at all either of the games or both are washed out. Thinking of the calculations at this moment gives a huge headache. India (and WI) will be hurt if any of their remaining games are washed out with points being shared. They will then have to depend on other results to make it.

Saw the calculations. If both games are washed out tomorrow, India/WI end up with 1 point each and SL/Aus end up on 3 pts each. If Australia beat WI, Australia are through. This means, India have the task of beating SL by a margin that will push their run rate above SL. Considering that SL are at +2.850 and India are at -2.450, the margin would be quite big and it would be almost impossible for India to make it. If WI beat Australia and India beat SL, it would be a very interesting scenario where all teams end up on 3 points each. Run rate will decide who goes through (Aus should be fine, maybe SL would be too).

India should hope tomorrow's game vs WI is played till the point where the D/L method decides the result.

Last edited:

TumTum

International Cricketer
Cricinfo said:
Michael Clarke dropped himself down the order and didn't get a hit against India. He hasn't batted in T20 internationals six times and on five of those occasions Australia have won
:laugh:laugh

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
According to Cricinfo reports, a bright day is predicted tomorrow. Hope it stays true!

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
Nice info Sai, so for india to make it through they will have to win both their games.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I think SriLanka will take hell out form Australia batting lineup.

Looks like you were way off the mark with that comment.:laugh

Nice info Sai, so for india to make it through they will have to win both their games.

Not necessary. With Sri Lanka's 81 run defeat against Australia, India's task of getting above Sri Lanka in terms of net run rate becomes a little more easier (SL at -0.6 and India at -1.575 now). They still have to beat SL by a good margin (25-30 runs or so) and hope Australia beat West Indies by a margin thats enough for them to sneak through. Its not impossible but its definitely tough and a part of their fate will actually be in Australia's hands.

For Sri Lanka, even if they win against India, they wont be through. They have to beat India by a good margin to boost their NRR and hope that West Indies lose to Australia or WI win by only a margin thats not enough for them to beat Sri Lanka's NRR. May 11 is the D-Day for three teams from this group.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
How ironic, first we have the fate of Pakistan in our hands, now we have the fate of India.
Dilshan is due to fire and Jayawardene had his failure. The bowling looked good until those two sixes off Randiv over.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
The thing is, India's bowling looks terribly weak and so Sri Lanka's chances of scoring lot of runs is very much on. One good thing is that since its going to be St Lucia where the pitch is on the slower side, our batters are going to feel a lot more better (there was still bounce initially at the start of the game, but as it progresses there is nothing much in that pitch). The likes of Raina, Yuvraj and Yusuf Pathan can plunder runs in this ground.

India have to try and win it with their batting power. I would pick Piyush Chawla for Jadeja (I know Dhoni loves that man, but I am entitled for my opinion:D). Zaheer most likely wont play next game due to some hand injury (anyways, he is poor this tournament) and hope Yadav should be there to take his place. Dinesh Karthik for Murali Vijay would be a good option but I dont think Dhoni would do that to Vijay. IF JADEJA PLAYS AGAINST SL, I WONT FOLLOW THE GAME! Waste of time to watch Jadeja's bowling plundered and to watch him flounder with the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread