WC 2007 Final

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's not saying Hayden's better even though Hayden's batting miles ahead of Tendulkar at the present. Instead of being idiotic, maybe you should see the obviously and that it's just to make a mear follow of the person I quoted who claimed Hayden to be hopeless enough to of maintained an average of 40 at the time & several months later his surpased Tendulkar.

Sureshot

Executive member
At this moment he's right. Very different players though.

suren. They are 5 impressive batsman but.

Sachin - Good but not quite at his best, not underestimating him.
Sourav - Same as above.
Sehwag - Mixed bag, out of touch.
Dravid - Mr consistency always know what you get from him.
Yuvi - Mixed bag a bit out of touch.

So like England you went into the tournament with your batsman being out of form. Fair enough statement?

wolf

International Cricketer
This is meant to be a discussion on the World Cup Final, not on how good the Indian team is.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Another thing i observe regarding Hayden, he uses his huge batlift while playing shots.. which helps him to get more power and resulting in big boundaries. If Aussies qualify for finals, i somehow feel, this huge batlift might get himself into trouble against Vaas and Murali.

If Lanka is going to bat first in finals and get 250+, put the opponent under RRR of around 6 when Murali comes in, then the trophy is in their bag.

Edit :

At Ben for the post below,

it did looked as a huge batlift.. Infact there was a debate over it in TV.. They were comparing Hayden,Ponting,Watson,Smith and Fleming and discussing about the power they get while playing the shots!

Last edited:

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Hayden doesn't use a high bat lift. It has lifted over time though, but not much. He used to bat with the toe of his briefly touching the pitch as the bowler came charging in.

Mars Maximus

International Coach
In my opinion I think there should be a best of 3 finals for the world cup, not just a single final match. That way a team can get back and even win if they have an off first game. Meh won't happen though...

charith

Club Captain
Well the 2 best teams in the tournament have made it to the finals. No doubt about that. Bowling of both teams are very evenly matched SL probably have the edge over the bowling with murali. Both teams have a slinger and a left arm medium fast bowler!! Coinincidence.

I don't see the Australians being beaten. Especially with the extra pace and bounce of the kensington oval and the fact that SL havent played a game there all tournament. Ponting and Hayden are big wickets and if their nailed early who knows. Malinga will provide the X factor since none of the aussies have faced him before and it'll be safe to say he'll trouble them for sure coz he has troubled every single team so far.

The SL batting is the key. They need to focus and not lose early wickets. Just the fact that jayasuriya is at the crease would be an advantage let alone him scoring quickly. He can switch gears just like dat. Sangakkara is due for a big innings.

valvolux

Club Cricketer
Malinga is the key...Aussies haven't had to face any quality pace bowling at all this tournament. Have they even faced this guy yet? I can't remember us playing SL with Malinga in the side. It would've been a bonus if they got a warm up against Bond in the super 8s cause I think we have become all too comfortable against the predictable medium-fast from the Pollocks and Flintoffs of this world and Malinga could tear us a new backside if he gets fired up.

Then we have to get rid of Jayasuria early and it should be pretty straight forward...but god i'm worried about Malinga.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Malinga is more hit and miss.
Either he's awesome, or he's decent at best. And when he's the latter, he's expensive, and vice-versa.

Also, notice the similarities in the sides:
Attacking left handed openers in sweet form in Haydos and Sanath
Good Captains both in good form,
The rip snorting 'slinging' fast bowlers in Malinga and Tait
The experienced and 'always good' bowlers in Vass and McGrath
Dilshan and Clarke, both excellent fielders, part time bowlers, and middle order batsman
Kumar and Gilchurch have different approaches with the bat but they're both awesome with the gloves and consistent with their technique with the bat.
I think Murali puts SRL ahead a bit in the HTH ratio, but then again Hogg is in the form of his life.

andyptl18

Club Cricketer
Hayden :p He is in the zone right now. I personally think that the batting team will get the advantage as most chasing teams in the WC have lost miserably.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Gotta be a worry for SL that Gilly hasn't fired. If he produces on the big stage then even the wickets of Ponting and Hayden won't be enough. In saying that Ponting is usually a big match player as shown by his big score in the WC final in 03 so he will be very tough to get out and Hayden is in the form of his life and luck has gone his way for the past few months.

Big factor here will be Malinga as the Aussies haven't faced him in an ODI, Murali and Vaas they have so they know what to expect there.

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
Doesnt matter if Gilly doesnt fire, Haydos is batting like a man-possessed and our Top and middle orders are strong enough to cover him. I'm very confident going into this final...Malinga and Murali are the obvious dangers, particularly if we have to chase. Also Sangakkara hasnt really fired with the bat as such so he could be dangerous. But if we keep playing like we have been i dont think SL stand a chance, particularly if we bat first.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Come on Sri Lanka! I hope SL wins.... Rooting for them becoz of sub-continental friendship!

No denyin that Australia have been playing like champs. Would be interesting to see them get beaten.

Users who are viewing this thread