West Indies in Australia

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hope Symonds gets a chance in the Test squad sooner or later. He is a great player and time is against him. So he can't play many Tests. If Watson fails I would favour him to come in. Actually if I had to make a choice now between them I would go for Symonds. And also above Katich and Clarke.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I would pick Symonds over Katich mainly cause Katich is a top order batsmen. Symonds is more suited to the middle overs. Symonds also offers his accurate bowling. May not take wickets but he can keep it tight.

Just got the latest on the Aus side. Seems like MacGill may not be picked in the 12 man squad. Brisbane is forecasted for rain next Thur which also plays against this.
And then you have Trevor Hohns saying this
Despite this, and MacGill's impressive record in Brisbane, chief selector Trevor Hohns yesterday seemed to be holding firm in the view that the two should be played together only when conditions are most conducive to spin. In other words, Sydney yes, Brisbane no. That is not to say Adelaide, Hobart or Melbourne are out.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/...ill-under-wraps/2005/10/25/1130239525596.html

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
ZexyZahid said:
I hope Symonds gets a chance in the Test squad sooner or later. He is a great player and time is against him. So he can't play many Tests. If Watson fails I would favour him to come in. Actually if I had to make a choice now between them I would go for Symonds. And also above Katich and Clarke.

symonds had his go at test level and blew it with a bang. hodge should come in much before symonds. and hussey. i don;t think he should play test criket again.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Despite this, and MacGill's impressive record in Brisbane, chief selector Trevor Hohns yesterday seemed to be holding firm in the view that the two should be played together only when conditions are most conducive to spin. In other words, Sydney yes, Brisbane no. That is not to say Adelaide, Hobart or Melbourne are out.
This is because Trevor Hohns is an idiot. Melbourne and Adelaide are way less conducive to spin than the Gabba. Warne averages about 20, MacGill averages about 23. Adelaide is a batting track, too smooth for exceptional turn. Melbourne is an all-round pitch.

To say you wouldn't pick MacGill for the Gabba but you might pick him for Adelaide is to publicly admit either you have no idea what you're talking about or have some kind of personal agenda.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
tsyrmas said:
symonds had his go at test level and blew it with a bang. hodge should come in much before symonds. and hussey. i don;t think he should play test criket again.

2 goes in SL, that is no go! Give him a some games to settle in. Aus would be the perfect starting spot.

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
but wouldnt hodge or hussey, whom are suited to the longer version of the game be a more suitable choice. its unfortunate for roy that he's an aussie, anywhere else he would have played much more.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I was actually looking at the first class stats and Symonds has about the same amount of 100s as Hussey and Hodge. It may seem Symonds can't play the longer game but these stats suggest otherwise.

langerrox

International Coach
i hope bracken plays, aus need to get out swing bowlings going because we lack them badly, trevor hohns wasnt denying that hussey wont play test cricket. i think if there is a injury and hodge is in he will be in, surely if aus are 2-0 up they should give the newies ago

ajay2k5

Club Cricketer
I love Cricket and I love the Aussie team and always hope they win, but to be honest I would mind if they lost against the Windies this series.

Then hopefully the selectors will wake up a little and start to blood the odd young fellow, I don't mean filling the whole team with 22-23 year olds, I mean instead of putting hodge in the team maybe give Jacques a go, and if he goes well then keep playing him, if he becomes established then maybe add another young guy, but do we ever need some young fast bowlers, after McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Kaspro, Bichel, Bracken and all those around 30 or older, there is no real younger players that can step into their shoes in 2 or so years from now.

And what is going to happen when Gilchrist is gone? I would like to see a real young keeper enter the team, one guy who has caught my eye so far this season is Dawson from Tasmania, even though I am Tasmanian and so is he, i think he has the talent to be able to bat well and keep well. He won't be no Gilchrist but then again finding another Gilchrist will be impossible.

Just a few thoughts, oh and one more thought, how good would it be for our bowling if Waqar Younis lands the job as bowling coach, he said on the news he wants to and I think Australia should snap him up, back in his time he was one of the best bowlers in the world, he and Akram use to be such a force.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
They already had the wake up call they needed. No more losing for me. :D What the Ashes has done is made everybody droppable maybe bar Ponting, McGrath, Clarke and Warne. All the rest know if they don't perform they will be shown the door. Clarke himself would be dropped if he kept having shockers.

Users who are viewing this thread