West Indies Team Discussion

grkrama

National Board President
Man WICB management are a waste, disgusting people really. Recently I have started agreeing with BCCI demanding money from them, Cameron and co are having town meetings babbling nonsense. Really the West Indies team are a joke and have been a while now, gone are the glory days of the 80s, for a team that redefined all cricketing roles and conquered the world for close to two decades they arent playing in the ICC Champions trophy! These guys won the first two world cup editions and had a test win streak of 11 now look at what they have become!

Ya WICB is terrible and shortsighted especially lowballing their players and mismanaging them, All the more reason to make sure WI doesn't vanish from cricket, the lads there are still good certainly not at the Golden era level but which team is now, if they get it together they can certainly improve over next few years and emerge as winners back again.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Simmons slams `outside interference’ for Bravo, Pollard omission | Guyana Chronicle - @westindies2007 @Samuels

Simmons slams `outside interference’ for Bravo, Pollard omission
September 25, 2015

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – West Indies head coach Phil Simmons yesterday courted controversy when he slammed “interference from outside” as the reason for the omission of Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the one-day squad, for the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka.The 52-year-old Simmons, who took charge of the squad back in March following the ICC Cricket World Cup, said he, chairman of selectors Clive Lloyd and captain Jason Holder were all in favour of the Trinidadian duo’s re-inclusion but “people” had used their “influence” to keep them out of the squad.
In a candid interview with reporters on the final day of the West Indies camp at the 3Ws Oval, Simmons castigated such interference as “wrong” and said it had robbed the region of its best ODI squad.
However, he did not say who the interference was coming from.
“I think it’s disappointing from the fact that I haven’t got the best 50-over ODI squad that we can select in the Caribbean,” an irate Simmons said.
“The chairman, Mr Lloyd, he came and he gave an exceptional speech saying that he thinks it is time they are back in the squad and he gave exceptional reasons for them being back in the squad.
“Unfortunately, when we went into the selection (meeting) we lost it 3-2. Him and myself – the captain doesn’t have a vote in this – but the captain also gave his views as why they need to be back.”
He continued: “That’s not the disappointing fact, the disappointing fact is that you can lose 3-2 in a vote-off but there is too much interference from outside in the selection of the ODI squad and it’s disappointing for me to know that in any aspect of life … (people would use) their position to get people into a squad for in this case, get people left out of a squad.
“It is wrong and I don’t like it and that is my beef with the selection of the ODI team.”
Bravo was sacked as captain and along with Pollard, controversially axed for the ODI series in South Africa last January and also overlooked for the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
The decision by selectors provoked the ire of many, with several critics branding the move as victimisation, stemming from the role both players had in the controversial abandoned ODI tour of India last October.
Simmons said it was now “disappointing” that with both Bravo and Pollard available for selection, those with influence were ensuring the players remained sidelined.
“I don’t think that it (selection) was done as professionally as it should be done, (there was) too much interference from outside and in this case, I even go as far as saying maybe influence because the reasons that were given for them being out,” Simmons complained.
“It’s disappointing for me … because we want to have our best squad. The chairman put it to us that we need to have our best squad and it’s not so, so I’m disappointed about that squad.”
After taking over as coach, Simmons met with both players who indicated their willingness to continue representing West Indies, but only in the shorter formats.
The Trinidadian said while he could not guarantee Bravo and Pollard their selection, he had secured their commitment to the management set-up of the squad.
“There was no agreement reached (with the players). I can’t go and say, ‘oi, you’re selected’. I had a chat with every one of them saying ‘this is the way I think things should be done, are you happy with the way I’m going to do things’,” Simmons explained.
“And everyone to a (man) was happy with the way things were going to run, happy with the captain, happy with everything that was to move forward. So once they had bought into our philosophy as to the captain and myself then it’s about selection.
“I can’t go and tell them, ‘hey, you’re in the squad’ so I think that’s all I could have done.”
Bravo averages 25 with the bat and has taken 199 wickets at 29 apiece with the ball in 164 ODIs while Pollard averages 25 from 91 ODIs and has scored just one century and half-century in 2-1/2 years.
The ODI squad is yet to be formally announced but is expected to be named next week.

S

Satan666

Ya WICB is terrible and shortsighted especially lowballing their players and mismanaging them, All the more reason to make sure WI doesn't vanish from cricket, the lads there are still good certainly not at the Golden era level but which team is now, if they get it together they can certainly improve over next few years and emerge as winners back again.

There have been numerous sub comitees from CARICOM attempting to sort out the WICB but to date no shakeup. Cant see WI ever being a competitive test team in the near of far future, maybe a strong ODI/T20 side. It makes you wonder if its time to disband the WI as a team altogether, colonial days are long gone.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What the hell am i hearing @War @Samuels
Simmons suspended as West Indies coach
Phil Simmons suspended as West Indies coach | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

This is what the Caribbean Board repick to be our President.
Poor Poor. David need sacking along with other Members of WICB. Since me going from Poor to Worst and what ever word worst than worst. Very pissed right now , Seem we got a Dictatorship Leader on De Board , where no one can say they view.

War

Chairman of Selectors
What the hell am i hearing @War @Samuels
Simmons suspended as West Indies coach
Phil Simmons suspended as West Indies coach | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

This is what the Caribbean Board repick to be our President.
Poor Poor. David need sacking along with other Members of WICB. Since me going from Poor to Worst and what ever word worst than worst. Very pissed right now , Seem we got a Dictatorship Leader on De Board , where no one can say they view.

Ha you know i was thinking this would happen after Simmons spoke out, but i said nah the WICB won't be so brave.

Should WICB be put down like a sick animal? If BCCI pulled a USD$42m trigger now & put them out of their misery would it be a mercy killing? @StinkyBoHoon @PokerAce @Untouchables666 @Epic @shravi @grkrama @Aalay @SaiSrini

PokerAce

Banned
Should WICB be put down like a sick animal? If BCCI pulled a USD$42m trigger now & put them out of their misery would it be a mercy killing?

Nah, I think that is over-reaching. I think WI are going through a rough phase and the India tour should go ahead. It helps solve some issues, including that of repayment to BCCI. If WICB go bankrupt it doesnt help anybody.

I think an option that can be explored is to break up WI, and have each nation, T&T, Barbados, Guyana, etc. compete as individual national sides instead of pooling up together as West Indies. The immediate benefit of that will be that the region based issues/conflicts go away. Cricket gets a few extra competitive nations (a few extra test sides), which can only be an improvement on the present state of shambolic things in the WICB teams. So while WICB doesn't stay, but I think the result will be an upgrade to cricket overall, if done this way.

This is the only scenario in which I could agree with WICB and its team being dissolved. Does anyone think its a viable option.

grkrama

National Board President
Should WICB be put down like a sick animal? If BCCI pulled a USD$42m trigger now & put them out of their misery would it be a mercy killing? @StinkyBoHoon @PokerAce @Untouchables666 @Epic @shravi @grkrama @Aalay @SaiSrini

Even though WICB is making a fool of itself bigtime here Simmons is their best hope of regaining some cricketing success back, disbanding WICB wont help cause establishing something from ground up again would be really difficult and carries the risk of the cricketing culture established vanishing, I would like to see some local political power stepping in and clearing issues up and pull out the weeds causing trouble also im curious is there any rights with ICC to interfere in the functioning of the local body if it deems things aren't going well, probably take something like an interim control for 6 months ?

I think an option that can be explored is to break up WI, and have each nation, T&T, Barbados, Guyana, etc. compete as individual national sides instead of pooling up together as West Indies. The immediate benefit of that will be that the region based issues/conflicts go away. Cricket gets a few extra competitive nations (a few extra test sides), which can only be an improvement on the present state of shambolic things in the WICB teams. So while WICB doesn't stay, but I think the result will be an upgrade to cricket overall, if done this way.

This is the only scenario in which I could agree with WICB and its team being dissolved. Does anyone think its a viable option.

Breaking them down will weaken the teams as well that Caribbean flavor of cricket we are used to may go way. Maybe as a last resort of something if nothing else works.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
What a disaster this tour is turning into. It's pretty clear that the West Indies in their current guise don't adhere to what might be considered as "Test standard". Whether that means that they should be dispensed with entirely, I personally don't know, but if we assume they remain, then there needs to be a serious look at the make-up of the Test side.

It wouldn't make matters any better, but here's an XI that could host India and lose next year, assuming that the series actually happens.

Kraigg Brathwaite
Kieran Powell (where did he go?)
Darren Bravo
Jermaine Blackwood
Roston Chase
Shane Dowrich :wk:
Jason Holder :c:
Shane Shillingford
Jerome Taylor
Mervin Matthew
Shannon Gabriel

Users who are viewing this thread