Scooby Doo Mafia - ARay Wins!

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Since the game has started, even when the roles were being created, User was doing all the work alone. I was not much aware of Scooby Doo and so I was never going to prepare the roles well. But I thought that I'd help him when the game starts but due to being busy with personal life that didn't happen too. :p Basically, User has individually run this game and all the credit goes to him. Well done bro! Excellent game. :)

Congrats Aray, if I recall rightly, so far all the games you have won, you have been part of the mafia team. Something interesting...hmm...:spy

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Yup, I do. Mentioned it in the PM as well. I feel I need to focus on, and not ignore, subtle things in the game. Now I realize, when I got the role, I was so intent upon clearing myself (from the aggressive 'wrath' of 6ry4nj) that I missed the most important observation, which could turn the game totally around.

He was a bit too aggressive with that 98% stuff. That said I think the town needs someone who is confirmed town to play with a bit of aggression sometimes like I did in LOTR.

ARay

County Cricketer
That was a fun game and a great learning experience. Thanks for modding User. In hindsight I should've put 2 and 2 together with the roleblock thing but I think I did alright considering it was my first time. How did ARay figure out I was Shaggy?

Well I did not figure out you were shaggy specifically. But I was certainly sure you had some sort of role, judging from the way you were playing. I guess its something that comes with experience :p

----------

Anyway, I'll give you this one considering we had a little cheater on our team who knew who all the mafia were. :rolleyes

Hedger if you look where Zohaib died it says his glasses were "defective".

Which is why it switched around the kills. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

----------

He was a bit too aggressive with that 98% stuff. That said I think the town needs someone who is confirmed town to play with a bit of aggression sometimes like I did in LOTR.

yeah but I think it was his first game. So kudos to him to be honest. He can only get better!

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Well I did not figure out you were shaggy specifically. But I was certainly sure you had some sort of role, judging from the way you were playing. I guess its something that comes with experience :p

How do you mean? Would it be possible to elaborate please?

ARay

County Cricketer
How do you mean? Would it be possible to elaborate please?

Well it was from the fact that you made constructive posts but you held back a lot of times (as if wanting to protect yourself but contribute at the same time).
A lot of times when people play the game for the first or even the second time, if they are not mafia and they get a power role. Psychologically they contribute but in a way that they don't stand out too much for the mafia to target them.

Ofcourse its not true for all the cases, but it does tend to happen.
But as you play more games, you tend to develop new strategies and it gets harder to read a person. Ofcourse the advantage then becomes that you get to know the normal playstyle of the person and sometimes you can pick up specific traits.

Like Hedger, used to have a bad habit of bandwagon for mafia votes. So once a mafia was found out. It was easy to trace back to him since he would have voted along with that person everytime. Ofcourse, he has become more pro now and does not do it as often. :p
So now i have to look for patterns in people NOT voting in a bandwagon.

This game has a lot of psychological analysis :p You have to think actively as to what point of view the other player might have when they make a certain statement. You develop it with more games you play.

ARay

County Cricketer
I think I need to keep my head down more. No fun getting killed on night 1...

Thats why I feel like if all the general player base became more active, it would be harder for mafia to choose between targets.
I mean I hate being singled out as a player, instead of the character I might be playing in that particular mafia game.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Thats why I feel like if all the general player base became more active, it would be harder for mafia to choose between targets.
I mean I hate being singled out as a player, instead of the character I might be playing in that particular mafia game.

I personally believe he it's down to the skill level of the players. If you have say 5 excellent players in a big game and 2 are mafia, they are obviously going to target the 3 other excellent players because they know it's easier for them to win that way.

However, if the general standard of play goes up and a lot of players become more skilled at the game, people will stop being singled out because suddenly you have so many good players on the town side it's impossible to go for the minority few and suddenly you have an advantage.

Say in an 18 player game, we have 10/11 excellent players, and 3/4 are non-town. Suddenly they have to actually work out who is a priority because of roles rather than just general skill level.

At the moment for the excellent players, it can be fustrating but once the number of those increase it won't be nearly as much of a problem.

Hope that all makes sense!

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Well it was from the fact that you made constructive posts but you held back a lot of times (as if wanting to protect yourself but contribute at the same time).
A lot of times when people play the game for the first or even the second time, if they are not mafia and they get a power role. Psychologically they contribute but in a way that they don't stand out too much for the mafia to target them.

Ofcourse its not true for all the cases, but it does tend to happen.
But as you play more games, you tend to develop new strategies and it gets harder to read a person. Ofcourse the advantage then becomes that you get to know the normal playstyle of the person and sometimes you can pick up specific traits.

Like Hedger, used to have a bad habit of bandwagon for mafia votes. So once a mafia was found out. It was easy to trace back to him since he would have voted along with that person everytime. Ofcourse, he has become more pro now and does not do it as often. :p
So now i have to look for patterns in people NOT voting in a bandwagon.

This game has a lot of psychological analysis :p You have to think actively as to what point of view the other player might have when they make a certain statement. You develop it with more games you play.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Originally I thought it was a good idea to try and fit in. Now that I've played a game and read games on other sites (mafia scum - the analysis is crazy on that site!) I've realised you have to make it clear what your style is. Thanks for the insight!

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Like Hedger, used to have a bad habit of bandwagon for mafia votes.

Hey, that was only my first game as mafia :p

But yeah, both ARay and Ollie were right. I do feel sorry for ARay, constantly being killed by the mafia, but really when he dies, it just ruins the game. Although it was good to see 6ry4nj step up this game. And I think this has been my best game since HP Mafia. I think it was a little disheartening that game when I figured out everything and was killed the following night which is why I know how ARay feels all of the time.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't like the roles where someone else dies if a particular person is targeted. You're basically giving them immunity, and giving someone else double the chance of dieing

6ry4nj

International Coach
Lying? Wow. Well, it was to give town the idea that he had a killing role. Of course he had to kill everyone or wanted everyone dead so he could have won.

My bad. I was assuming a Survivor only had to survive. But to kill everyone and survive is an impossible role, full stop. Especially with only an occasional killing ability.

I'd like if you pointed out more. It will only help me improve. In a game with so many roles, it is hard to please everyone. And, thanks for that. After all that effort...

Fair comment. 11 out of 10 for effort, absolutely. Thanks for that, and for the graciousness of your reply.

Yes I apologize for the degree to which my criticism wasn't constructive. Except as modified above, however, I think it was quite valid. The more ambitious the scenario you invent, the more likely it is not to work, seeing as playtesting is impossible.

My understanding is you always inform a player of the result of a night action (successful/unsuccessful/no result). What do others think?

6ry4nj

International Coach
Hidden -

Will die if Shaggy is killed/lynched in addition to him being killed/lynched whichever is first.

This was the reason Matt121 died on night 1 when ARay targeted Dr. Pepper who was Shaggy. Vanilla role with an actual bodyguard variation. Put in the game to make the win conditions of Dr. Pepper and hedger_14 a bit easy. No comments on his play too.

WTF? Cannon fodder! I'd love anyone to suggest how to play a involuntary bodyguard role without knowing you are one. Almost as wrong as a lethal Night 0. No wait, lethal Night 0 makes slightly more sense.

From mafiascum.net [edited]:
A Bodyguard is a role who can target a player at Night to protect them. However, if the protected player is supposed to be killed, the Bodyguard is killed instead ("taking the bullet" for them, as it were).

This version of Bodyguard, and only this version of Bodyguard, is considered Normal on mafiascum.net.

My emphasis on last sentence. Personally I don't think creativity with bodyguards is necessarily a bad thing. But if you are making the role hidden, it must be in a more normal way, eg. that someone is vanilla (and their 'ability' is not operating) until they discover it somehow. And I would avoid making it involuntary altogether - unless everyone has similarly unplayable roles lol!

6ry4nj

International Coach

Thank you for the compliment, and disagree with the rest :D. Varun saw the pressure on him and went to bed, knowing there were more than enough potential mafia out there to lynch him overnight. I expected even an average player would know better - if town - hence 98%.

98% btw - not 100% x2 as in LOTR...:p

Users who are viewing this thread