Scooby Doo Mafia - ARay Wins!

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Yeah this really shows that mafia can win solo (if you have an immunity to lynches) so from now on, screw protecting team mates, I was trying to protect Yudi and Chewie since I thought we couldn't win without em but whaddya know...

Fixed that for you.

----------

EQA CXG GP OFOQZ

It should be solvable in under 62 minutes.

Just thought I'd point out this has yet to be solved.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Lol what else could I do besides going to sleep? Very few people were active during the time I made my post. When I went to bed I hoped people would believe me and unlynch me. But you kept gunning for me.

You suggest what I should've done. :p

HINT: You had not character claimed yet.

If you seriously expect me to believe you don't know what else you could have done other than going to sleep, you are claiming for yourself a degree of extreme stupidity that I couldn't possibly hope to penetrate.

I could repeat myself some more, but I've decided against it.

----------

Just thought I'd point out this has yet to be solved.

Not sure if I've spent 62 minutes on it, but no I don't get it. Ciphers can be prepared beforehand like a foreign language, so I hope they don't gain a foothold in mafia games. Fine as an unprepared one-off, I guess.

My coded messages were posted in English, and I don't know that either of them have been decoded yet either. Seeing as my code is thus completely useless - I may use it again!

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Hint: the 62 minutes part is a clue, not how long it should actually take to solve it. :rolleyes

And I seriously doubt people will start using them in mafia games, it was just a bit of fun. Doesn't even say anything relevant to the game (well it might do depending on who the reader is :p)

6ry4nj

International Coach
Also, I don't think we should be sticking by epicmafia and mafiascum for all their roles and sticking to it to the letter. It should be guidance but modders should be able allowed to use their imagination and applauded for it (or told how they could have played that role sightly better) rather than just being criticsed for not sticking to the letter of the wiki.

When mafiascum.net says "It is terrible form", and I agree, I can't tell you how to do it better - just don't do it. In the other case where I quoted mafiascum, I disagreed with the quote, but said that User's misuse of the role had gone well beyond anything that could be done slightly better. Because it had.

A player who will die if some other player is lynched, not of their own choosing and without being told, has no winning strategy. And there were three of them?

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Well Mr. Smarty Pants-Know It All, how about telling User how he could have improved that role rather than just slating him for it?

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Well Mr. Smarty Pants-Know It All, how about telling User how he could have improved that role rather than just slating him for it?
I think I'll leave it here Ollie, he will keep coming back. I've told him numerous times now that those roles were in there for making life easy for the main characters.

JB,

I know I could have mentioned it to the players but, I didn't. Maybe I was wrong there but, that's how it went.

As far as winning strategies are concerned, there is a role I think when someone dies on night 1 irrespective of what happens. Now, what is that? I know its not common and might never be but, it is one of those roles created by all those sites who are the mafia genius people. Just giving an example. Not everything has to be done as it is. If some variations weren't tried, we would have stuck in the past without at all moving ahead.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I would agree the role was slightly unfair but it was a good idea, and the real improvement you could have done was told the player that they were a bodyguard to one of the main characters (and who that person was) but then not told the player that was being bodyguarded. If you understand, what I'm trying to say.

6ry4nj

International Coach
First of all, before I forget again, thanks for Town MVP.

I wonder how would you have reacted if you played HP mafia. That game needed at least 3 people dead before the GF could be killed by any means. So, how would you explain that?

What can I say? That was pathetic fail game design - it would obviously make it far easier for the GF to win than his involuntary bodyguards (probably easier than anyone else too). Also, two wrongs don't make a right. Other's mistakes are there to learn from, not to repeat.

He could kill every alternate night. And, by surviving it meant, he had to be alone at the end and couldn't win with any alignment. Hence, kill and survive.

I've got it now. The character you call the Survivor/Vigilante was the (alternate night) Serial Killer - a role almost as truly unplayable as the hidden involuntary bodyguard. With a kill every night, it would at least have been a standard role, although I think even mafiascum admits it is still impossible. The character who you call the Serial Killer was the Survivor(would have to check that?)/Vigilante, becoming another Serial Killer if unable to kill The Joker. Nothing wrong with that role.

----------

Well Master Seven-Year-Old, I may tell you again after you've had your nap and put your dummy back in.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
What can I say? That was pathetic fail game design - it would obviously make it far easier for the GF to win than his involuntary bodyguards (probably easier than anyone else too). Also, two wrongs don't make a right. Other's mistakes are there to learn from, not to repeat.

It turned out to be the best game by a mile. The theme was such. HP mafia where horcruxes had to be destroyed before Voldemort could be kill-able just like in movies. The game went ahead well.

I would agree the role was slightly unfair but it was a good idea, and the real improvement you could have done was told the player that they were a bodyguard to one of the main characters (and who that person was) but then not told the player that was being bodyguarded. If you understand, what I'm trying to say.

I get that. That's what I thought over again and again before the game began. But, Ollie, what held me back from doing that is, I personally believe people tend to bog down after getting a vanilla role and on top of that if I informed them about their bodyguard nature, they would hardly bother. But, I'm happy that this might help other mods who wish to try out a few things.

Well, I've had enough. The game's finished, we have a deserving winner. That's it.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
HINT: You had not character claimed yet.

If you seriously expect me to believe you don't know what else you could have done other than going to sleep, you are claiming for yourself a degree of extreme stupidity that I couldn't possibly hope to penetrate.

I could repeat myself some more, but I've decided against it.

lol I still don't agree, and I am pushing myself towards the outer boundaries of the logical understanding, ain't I? :p

If had claimed straight away, what difference it would make between me and the 'newbies' who claimed straight away when they are just under pressure? (in my case, I don't even see any reason for those initial lynches. And I cannot yet again explain why.)

I tried to defend myself before having to claim. Of course, I didn't care that mafia would lynch me or not - and I promise you, they wouldn't have. I experienced enough to know that. ;) And then, sleep > mafia game.

Rest all the same that I've reiterated about my play and defense throughout the game.

And I believe we should stop arguing as well. :p

/discussion (as if this did anything)

6ry4nj

International Coach
My emphasis on last sentence. Personally I don't think creativity with bodyguards is necessarily a bad thing. But if you are making the role hidden, it must be in a more normal way, eg. that someone is vanilla (and their 'ability' is not operating) until they discover it somehow. And I would avoid making it involuntary altogether - unless everyone has similarly unplayable roles lol!

My above critique was my very first on the subject. It is entirely constructive and entirely valid. And it answers all the questions you subsequently asked. Some things cannot be tweaked and must be avoided altogether (or, as above, done to everyone but good luck with that)

Users who are viewing this thread