SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

macolyte

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
If it's that one specific shot,it suggests it is probably more of a coding issue than a slider issue.

You could look to up the footwork difficulty so you can't just rock onto the back foot for every ball, as you'll get penalised more heavily for doing so.

Other than that,there's not too much to suggest. Depending what format of cricket you're playing, you could lower the shot power so the ball doesn't go so far, or generally lower the batting sliders but increase the ideal timing boost so that only ideal timed shots go a long way, and anything less won't have the same impact.
Thanks mate - much appreciated. I’m going to have a play with the sliders to see if I can find a sweet spot.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
If it's that one specific shot,it suggests it is probably more of a coding issue than a slider issue.

You could look to up the footwork difficulty so you can't just rock onto the back foot for every ball, as you'll get penalised more heavily for doing so.

Other than that,there's not too much to suggest. Depending what format of cricket you're playing, you could lower the shot power so the ball doesn't go so far, or generally lower the batting sliders but increase the ideal timing boost so that only ideal timed shots go a long way, and anything less won't have the same impact.

I'd also try lowing the ball marker time display. Makes it harder to get your footwork spot on

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I'd also try lowing the ball marker time display. Makes it harder to get your footwork spot on
And in addition to this, assuming it doesn't mess with your own accessibility, whatever your needs may or may not be, I've changed the ball marker colours so they're all black.

Gives you less feedback, means you have to watch the ball more. You can't just go, see red = back foot.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
And in addition to this, assuming it doesn't mess with your own accessibility, whatever your needs may or may not be, I've changed the ball marker colours so they're all black.

Gives you less feedback, means you have to watch the ball more. You can't just go, see red = back foot.

Aye I did this as well. Except not to black because it gets lost if you have floodlight shadows on the pitch :laughter:

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thanks for the lovely work! But I think I found a bug/issue in this. In spin bowling, Asia sliders, the flight ball travels faster than the bounce ball which is exactly opposite of what it should be. But it is fixed if I keep spin flight 50 and spin bounce 50. Is there anyone else feeling the same? Or it’s a bug from the new update.
Can you get back to me on this mate? @Rumple43

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Can you get back to me on this mate? @Rumple43
Apologies. It's not something I've seen, but I've also not played in India in a while.

I'd boot it up and have a look asap, but last time I did that the game wiped my ongoing story game so I'm hesitant to do testing until I'm between games now.

I'll give it a look, but either go back to default, or try the numbers from v3 of the spreadsheet.

Spin Flight 35
Spin Bounce 60

In v4, these were changed to 17 for flight and 40 for bounce.

In both cases, there's either 23 or 25 points of difference between the two figures. With that relationship staying the same but one set being lower overall than the other, I'm really not sure why that difference would be causing the outcome you're seeing.

Either way, give the v3 numbers a whirl and let me know.

Disharies

#ready2strike
RCB...
LQ
Sydney Thunder
Manchester Originals
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
Nepal

Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again​

Following on from a thread I created in Ashes 17, I wanted to once again delve into the world of sliders for Cricket 22.

Working with the incredibly knowledgeable @WealeyH, the plan was to create some slider sets that take into account conditions in different countries of the world as well as different formats of the game. What does that entail, exactly? I'm glad you asked!
  • Pitches that behave in a way that is identifiable with the country you're in
  • Pitches that evolve over the course of a multi-day game (organically if possible, though manually if necessary)
  • AI that responds appropriately to the format of the game you're playing.
  • AI that is matched to the conditions you're playing in
Having reached v4 of a spreadsheet to display the above, I think my work in this area is now completed. There have been a lot of people who have contributed time, effort and input and for that, thank you. Hopefully these sliders allowed Cricket 22 to be the best version of itself it can be.

The past progress of the project can be viewed below.

Current progress

There have been a few developments since the project began. Starting with base sets and further experimental sets, these were then built into v1 of the slider spreadsheet. v4 is the current and final version, which is now live and ready to download.

Expand the sections below to have a look, and each one is dated so you can see the most recent.

The most recent version of the slider spreadsheet is v4, published in mid-April 2022.

The additional functionality of v2 and v3 was retained, with some changes to run rate, general AI ability and physics to try and lessen the impact of user spin bowlers.

For more information, you can view the explanation and change log post HERE.

To download the v4 spreadsheet, it is attached to the bottom of this post.

V3 of the slider spreadsheet was published shortly after v2, in mid-January 2022.

The additional functionality of v2 was retained, with some minor changes to pitch bounce based on BA's recent patches.

For more information, you can view the explanation and post HERE.

If you want to download it instead of V4, use the link above.

V2 of the slider spreadsheet was published in mid-January 2022.

Building on v1, additional functionality like home/away sliders, plus an extra modifier were built in for users.

If you want to download it instead of V3, use the link above.

The first version of the slider spreadsheet was published in December 2021.

If you want to download it instead of V2, use the link above. As of 18/01/2021, v1 has been downloaded over 650 times!

After some brief play testing, I've had a bit of an experiment with some T20 sliders.

These are far from the finished article and could well need extensive tweaks.

For an explanation of the two games I played with them, plus the sliders themselves (in a spoiler box at the bottom of the post) go HERE.

These T20 sliders were based on the numbers from v1 of the slider spreadsheet, and no doubt need updating with some of the slider numbers in v2.

Videos

For people who don't have excel or want to see the sliders in action, I've started making a video series using the values from V3 of the spreadsheet. Be aware however, that reskilling players is no longer needed, and that v4 is the most up the date spreadsheet available.

Click the spoiler below to view:

Reskilled teams

I have reskilled my players in the past to lessen their general attributes, leading to (in my opinion) better game play. I have reverted back to "base" players with no reskilling as of March 2022, given the patches that were released and changes made to the overall build of the game.

If you still want more information on reskilling players and the discussion had at the time, CLICK HERE.

For guidance on exactly how I reskilled my players, CLICK HERE.

So there we are. Have at it people, go test and enjoy the v4 spreadsheet, but just some things to keep in mind....

Other sliders

This isn't a dictatorship, and we didn't have all the answers. As such, it may be possible, shocking as it is, that other people have good stuff to offer. For anyone lurking and wanting to ask the "What's the best sliders?!" question, this is for you. Here is a collection of any other sliders that I come across:
If you have sliders you want to add to this list and I've not seen them elsewhere, drop me a DM.

Oh, and if you're interested in my other ramblings about cricket pitches, click here. Or take a look at this.

For reference, this post was last updated - 14/04/2022 (added the v4 spreadsheet)
here in v4 ms excel only shows england slider

tarangmht

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hi @Rumple43 Thankyou for your continued effort and sharing your slidder settings with a wonderfully created excel. I have throughly enjoyed playing under different conditions and settings thanks to your wonderful research.

I would like to ask you if there is a particular setting i can change to increase the chance of missing the ball. Currently I dont get out bowled or lbw when I am batting on the current patch. Any inputs from you would of grt help. Thanks

SloppyMane

Constructive User Title
Profile Flag
India
Just a quick heads up, I've found something with that ever mysterious miss-input slider.

I didn't try this one after the initial release days and today played like 50 overs with this and its refreshing & crisp to say the least.

Now this gives me some idea on why Miss-Input is at 30 for hard and 20 for hardest. I think basically they might've worded its description throwing off everyone of us, I think the right wording for that slider might be 'Decreasing this slider will Increase the required quality of Shot'.

So, just try Miss-Input at 0 at whatever settings you are currently playing at and you'll find the batsman playing almost all shots to what you are inputting rather than a shot being played in the vicinity that you intended. Which then translates to some beautiful lbw opportunities if you pick it wrong and some near misses which are so cool.

For me, its been good so far and would like to know how others find it.

@tarangmht 's question sparked me to re-experiment with this notorious value.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Just a quick heads up, I've found something with that ever mysterious miss-input slider.

I didn't try this one after the initial release days and today played like 50 overs with this and its refreshing & crisp to say the least.

Now this gives me some idea on why Miss-Input is at 30 for hard and 20 for hardest. I think basically they might've worded its description throwing off everyone of us, I think the right wording for that slider might be 'Decreasing this slider will Increase the required quality of Shot'.

So, just try Miss-Input at 0 at whatever settings you are currently playing at and you'll find the batsman playing almost all shots to what you are inputting rather than a shot being played in the vicinity that you intended. Which then translates to some beautiful lbw opportunities if you pick it wrong and some near misses which are so cool.

I'm about to do some batting in my current game, so I'll give it a go.

User LBW is something you don't see enough of, so that's a plus if it works.

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post

This is an EXCELLENT And kind of a revolutionary find imo. Lowering the miss input slider to 10 for me has bought footwork into play alot more than before and wrong footwork can cause LBWs now, and quite frequently and of Pretty nice deliveries.

a. A.i got me lbw bowling an arm bowl from a SLO bowler, where i played for the spin (as a right hander) while the ball simply came straight in and struck knee roll. Most delightfully, i had played a defensive shot.

b. While sweeping, got a bottom edge to knee roll and A.I appealed... umpire said not out, A.I went for the review only for an unsuccessful one but it was sooo realistic to see a sweep getting mistimed hitting knee roll, and bowling team confused whether it hit directly the knee or not. Pretty realistic imho

My Footwork difficulty is a bit on lower side at 45 due to the fact that at 65-70, i rarely get "good" footwork with any player because the trigger for footwork becomes too sensitive.

Although, there's one thing i'd like big ant to separate out is that according to their explanation of footwork slider, it impacts both the sensitivity and influence of footwork on shot played. I'd like to have this separated i.e. separate slider for footwork "influence" on shot and footwork input sensitivity on the shot. How i see it, i want to bring the role of FOOTWORK even more into play while batting from a gameplay perspective without actually effecting the input trigger's sensitivity for footwork

Would appreciate any suggestions/thoughts on the same...

P.s: My ultimate ideal is that Footwork Trigger allows complete control of planting foot, unlike today where only planting forward or backward works and there is no considerable foot movement with lateral moving of the Left trigger

SloppyMane

Constructive User Title
Profile Flag
India
This is an EXCELLENT And kind of a revolutionary find imo. Lowering the miss input slider to 10 for me has bought footwork into play alot more than before and wrong footwork can cause LBWs now, and quite frequently and of Pretty nice deliveries.

a. A.i got me lbw bowling an arm bowl from a SLO bowler, where i played for the spin (as a right hander) while the ball simply came straight in and struck knee roll. Most delightfully, i had played a defensive shot.

b. While sweeping, got a bottom edge to knee roll and A.I appealed... umpire said not out, A.I went for the review only for an unsuccessful one but it was sooo realistic to see a sweep getting mistimed hitting knee roll, and bowling team confused whether it hit directly the knee or not. Pretty realistic imho

My Footwork difficulty is a bit on lower side at 45 due to the fact that at 65-70, i rarely get "good" footwork with any player because the trigger for footwork becomes too sensitive.

Although, there's one thing i'd like big ant to separate out is that according to their explanation of footwork slider, it impacts both the sensitivity and influence of footwork on shot played. I'd like to have this separated i.e. separate slider for footwork "influence" on shot and footwork input sensitivity on the shot. How i see it, i want to bring the role of FOOTWORK even more into play while batting from a gameplay perspective without actually effecting the input trigger's sensitivity for footwork

Would appreciate any suggestions/thoughts on the same...

P.s: My ultimate ideal is that Footwork Trigger allows complete control of planting foot, unlike today where only planting forward or backward works and there is no considerable foot movement with lateral moving of the Left trigger
Yes its something I've wondered about as well, the sensitivity and influence you mentioned, but these are one of many things I don't even bother to posting it since BA does stuff like these only when there is a mass scale community plea/reporting like the one we saw with the 'ball weight' feel during initial post-release days which they found out and put out a separate visual pace slider.

I myself would love to have sliders for online gameplay since I believe as much as you can code the AI, there's only so much that could be coded and nothing matches the realtime PvP gameplay. Even though I play only online with a friend of mine weekly once, I look forward to it irrespective of the base sliders gameplay I'm gonna get but the experience is much more interesting.

But problem I have noticed is, the majority of community don't know what actually to expect unlike its like so obvious like that ball weight scenario, they just see the batting feedback and if it says 'ok' footwork they just assume that they've done something wrong and move on, but if they actually pay attention, no matter how many times that same ball is bowled they will place the exact same footwork since that's what they feel is right.

Unless they come out with better feedback system, the players simply just can't learn and improve their playing style, because right now the only thing the feedback suggests to them is 'you didn't get ideal timing', so most of them just migrate to arcade controls and 'select region and aim' which takes out many forms of dismissals like lbws or misjudged line cases like bowled and genuine edges which they ultimately do realize, but at that point they could just blurt out like why am I getting only edges and catches dismissals.

This is just one of many cases of this lack of communication problem and you can't fault the players either many of them don't know the nuances of cricket, they play the game through which they learn. Even I didn't know so much about pitches and how they would behave until recently during my Cricket 19 days, even though I've been following cricket for like 10 years.

For these type of issues, either the community has to learn that they are not always messing up and the game is at fault when they get dismissed or not get that beautiful wicket they have been setting up for a while and not just blame 'oh I might've played it wrong' and move on, or the developers have to make the game true to the sport like proper bat and ball physics in relation to user input, AI behavior, good feedback which doesn't say 'ideal shot choice' for literally 99% of the time etc

You can see my user flair which I got for voicing some opinions, so its really not encouraging for people like me to come in the forums and share, this slider case was an exception where I felt it would help many enrich their experience so I came out and posted.

Last edited:

anthaaa

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
BEAUTIFUL sliders but far too easy to just hit boundary after boundary. Physics sliders are amazing however. Great work to all involved. I understand it’s not a one size fits all, but I suck at tweaking and don’t know what batting sliders to touch :( but your base is superb and grateful for all the hard work put in mate.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@Rumple43 , @SloppyMani , @Gamer Pradosh

Great job of collecting the slider values, and trying to highlight what some of these slider values do. I've a request on similar lines... do you have a post, or a video which explains what these slider values do in layman's terms similar to how @SloppyMani and @Gamer Pradosh explained what 'Miss-Input Influence' does?

I really struggle to understand the impact of various sliders as the explanation in the game is quite confusing and really doesn't explain how it impacts the gameplay. Some of the sliders which I find confusing are listed below...

Shot timing difficulty: Does increasing the slider value increases the timing window for playing shots?
Bowl Quality influence: Not clear what happens when say the value is 90 compared to say 50.
Edges - Low striker skill influence: Don't understand what it does
Edges - High striker skill influence: Same as above
Miss - Skill Influence: Confusing similar to 'Miss - Input Influence' but now understand what 'Miss - Input Influence' does but still struggling to understand the benefit of this slider
Pitch friction: Don't understand how it impacts batting
Ball friction: Similar to above, don't understand how it impacts batting, and how it differs from Pitch friction in terms of gameplay & batting
Pitch Bounce, Ball Bounce, Spin Bowling Bounce: Don't know the difference between these 3 ball bounce sliders, and how they impact batting. Also, when to tweak which as they should all be doing the same thing. Should I tweak all of them, or one of them? Do they override each other if I tweak more than one?
Pace bowling bouncer length: Confused what the slider does as it seems suspiciously similar to Ball Bounce for a pacer. Again, don't know how it translates to gameplay & batting, and when to tweak it in conjunction with various ball bounce sliders.

Would really appreciate it if you can point me to any examples explaining the same, and @Gamer Pradosh maybe a YT video on explanation of these would be godsend.

@MattW , maybe a developer video or a post explaining how the sliders impact the gameplay and batting would be quite helpful as I find the current explanation quite confusing. Maybe taking each slider and saying "If the value is 50 it does X while batting. But if you change it to 80 you will experience Y while batting". That explanation or mapping of slider values to gameplay is something which's sorely lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread