19th Match, Group F: West Indies v India at Bridgetown

P

pcfan123

You can't use the ICC rankings to prove your point when India is Number 1 and then bitch about the system being flawed when Australia is ranked 1

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I guess what he actually means to say is, India are a pretty good test side and one of the top sides in the world in recent times. We wont cease to play test cricket and all (thats exaggeration of the highest kind). As I have said here, the nature of T20 to keep the scoring rate at a high level makes the players play short balls in ungainly fashion many a time. In test cricket, they have the time to leave it and bide their time.

Robelinda

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
One can only imagine if these current bowlers wouldve tried to bounce out Viv in 20/20 cricket. I think not. Bowlers are just bowling to the batsmen's weakness, and in India's case- and ONLY India's case- is it short pitched bowling.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
You can't use the ICC rankings to prove your point when India is Number 1 and then bitch about the system being flawed when Australia is ranked 1

The thing is, India has been a consistently good test side for a few years now. The rankings system is not flawed, it is the scheduling of tests that is flawed. We haven't played enough outside the subcontinent and I'll be the first to admit that. However, the rankings system would just become useless if we took into account how India performs outside the subcontinent when they haven't even played outside the subcontinent (excluding New Zealand). The rankings are based on results, not hypotheses by War or Robelinda, or whoever else. You can only work with what you have in front of you. The results show that India has beaten Australia, England, Sri Lanka and New Zealand, and drawn with South Africa.

Last edited:

Flame_Blader1

Club Cricketer
One can only imagine if these current bowlers wouldve tried to bounce out Viv in 20/20 cricket. I think not. Bowlers are just bowling to the batsmen's weakness, and in India's case- and ONLY India's case- is it short pitched bowling.

uhh.. no. Pakistan have also somewhat struggled against short pitched bowling. As did SL earlier today. The only difference between India and those teams is that Indian batsman were made to look a lot worse than the other 2.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
If batsman didn't have all this protection they would all be much better at playing the short ball. You don't see many batsman get in line with the ball and hook it a foot away from his face. They are all afraid of the ball now even with all this protection but back in the day batsman came out without a helmet or barely one to face the WI quartet.

Thats why I love the quote in the sig.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
If batsman didn't have all this protection they would all be much better at playing the short ball. You don't see many batsman get in line with the ball and hook it a foot away from his face. They are all afraid of the ball now even with all this protection but back in the day batsman came out without a helmet or barely one to face the WI quartet.

Thats why I love the quote in the sig.

They should take a leaf out of Gavaskar's book. Gavaskar prepared for the fast and short pitched West Indian bowlers by shortening the run ups of Indian bowlers back home by a few yards.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
They should take a leaf out of Gavaskar's book. Gavaskar prepared for the fast and short pitched West Indian bowlers by shortening the run ups of Indian bowlers back home by a few yards.

Yea but nobody on this team is even close to Gavaskar when it comes to skill.

War

Chairman of Selectors
shravi said:
The thing is, India has been a consistently good test side for a few years now. The rankings system is not flawed, it is the scheduling of tests that is flawed. We haven't played enough outside the subcontinent and I'll be the first to admit that. However, the rankings system would just become useless if we took into account how India performs outside the subcontinent when they haven't even played outside the subcontinent (excluding New Zealand). The rankings are based on results, not hypotheses by War or Robelinda, or whoever else. The results show that India has beaten Australia, England and Sri Lanka at home, drawn with South Africa at home, and beaten New Zealand away.

As i've said before, cricket doesn't need a ranking system at all. Since although India have indeed played good cricket at home, its a farce that Inida are number 1.

To become number 1 you have to earn that title overtime by building a world-class team capable of winning home & away like Australia between 95-2006/07, Windies 1976-1991, England 1951-1958, Windies 1963-1969. You didn't need a ranking system to tell you those teams where the best of their times.

India have not done that & no way can India win in AUS, SA or even ENG with that bowling attack (pace attack) they have. Plus their post Dravid/Tendy new generation batsmen look a bit suspect.

Currenly in tests their is no clear number one. Its close between AUS/SA/IND. India only advantage is that they can expose AUS & SA to spin @ home as we saw in the recent series. But as i said no way can IND win in AUS or SA.

War added 3 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Yea but nobody on this team is even close to Gavaskar when it comes to skill.

Indeed. All these young IND batsmen like Vijay, Sharma, Raina, Kohli, Panday, Tiwary all look so exciting. But look like a set of Yuvraj clones everytime they face quality pace.

Which is worrying sign, since it doesn't seem like they will be able to live up to legacy set by Dravid/Tendy/Laxman/Azharrudin/Ganguly who all played pace well.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
These spineless Indian batsman just crack me up, these short balls they have been getting out to have been just stanard fare, horrible batting. Gotta say the future looks BLEAK for India if these guys are the future, or are they just future FLAT TRACK BULLIES? No Sachin, Dravid, Laxman- are any of the current team capable of scoring test tons in Eng, SA or Aus? Not a chance, maybe India will cease to play Test cricket in the next 5 years.
Jeez, I'm hoping this is a joke because otherwise you didn't read any of my posts and you don't seem to know too much about cricket. Or the more obvious choice of you just jumping on any chance to bash India.

To repeat for the last time, judging a team's Test/ODI performance by a Twenty20 tournament is an extremely stupid decision. In Twenty20's, you can use a four-prong attack to bowl 16/20 overs concentrated with 3-4 bouncers an over. If you try that in an ODI, your bowler's arms will fall off. Remember a bloke called Sourav Ganguly. He couldn't play the short ball his whole career yet he was a decent Test player and a really good ODI player.

sohum added 1 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

Its against the laws to even point to his arm/hand, 100% not allowed. Both acts were awful.

Its fine by you but not by the rule. He cant be pointing at anything so he will get a good fine, or at least should.
People point at their arm all the time. In fact, Chanderpaul pointed at his arm in that very match when there was an appeal for caught at slip off the bowling of Harbhajan (or maybe another spinner). Why don't you guys bash that as being awful and being dissentful? Just because Shiv isn't Indian.

sohum added 11 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

India have not done that & no way can India win in AUS, SA or even ENG with that bowling attack (pace attack) they have. Plus their post Dravid/Tendy new generation batsmen look a bit suspect.
We won in England last time we were there. We lost fairly close series' in South Africa (2-1) and Australia (2-1) when we were there last. With pretty much this bowling attack and Kumble. So your hypothesis is way off target since you are just taking into account the musings of your mind instead of pure, hard results:

India in England (Won 1-0)
Won the second test by 7 wickets

India in West Indies (Won 1-0)
Won the fourth test by 49 runs

India in South Africa (Lost 1-2)
Won the first test by 123 runs

India in Australia (Lost 1-2*)
Won the third test by 72 runs

So this pace attack has got us wins outside the subcontinent. We've ended up losing 2 of these 4 series', but the fact is the margin of loss has been 1 Test match. They haven't been whitewashes like these opponents have been dishing out to other opponents and, in some cases, each other.

Which is worrying sign, since it doesn't seem like they will be able to live up to legacy set by Dravid/Tendy/Laxman/Azharrudin/Ganguly who all played pace well.
Ganguly definitely preferred spin, as does Laxman. You also realize that you haven't seen any of these blokes in Test cricket? Would you not have said that the likes of Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly wouldn't live up to the legacy set by the Gavaskars, Vengsarkars and Amarnaths of the previous generation if you had first seen them in Twenty20 games? You see where your whole argument is flawed?

TumTum

International Cricketer
Sorry I dont speak Klingon. :confused::confused::confused:

So I guess you don't own a mobile phone?

People point at their arm all the time. In fact, Chanderpaul pointed at his arm in that very match when there was an appeal for caught at slip off the bowling of Harbhajan (or maybe another spinner). Why don't you guys bash that as being awful and being dissentful? Just because Shiv isn't Indian.

But he wasn't showing dissent, because he wasn't actually given out. Every batsmen does "hinting" even in the most suttle of ways, but you can't challenge an umpires decision. BTW Shiv didn't actually point to his arm as the ball came of his thigh pad, he didn't even take his hand of the bat for that matter.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
But he wasn't showing dissent, because he wasn't actually given out. Every batsmen does "hinting" even in the most suttle of ways, but you can't challenge an umpires decision. BTW Shiv didn't actually point to his arm as the ball came of his thigh pad, he didn't even take his hand of the bat for that matter.
I saw only a few replays, but it appeared that Bowden hadn't given a decision and was waiting for the batsman to walk. When Rohit stuck around, he went and had a chat with Taufel and then gave the decision.

With the Chanderpaul incident, he may not have pointed but it amounted to the same thing. He indicated that he hadn't hit it to the umpire. He didn't make the indication after the ball was dead, either, so feasibly the umpire could still have been thinking about it.

As I've said, batsmen give those "hints" all the time. From what I saw, Bowden hadn't lifted his finger before Rohit pointed at his arm. If you have video evidence to the contrary, I'll accept that what Rohit did was in fact dissent.

Users who are viewing this thread